(Archived) Problem opening .pdfs in Evernote - wants to use Kindle or Polaris

SeamusDDog

I have offline notebooks that have .pdf notes in them. Evernote on my Galaxy Note II shows the thumbnails, but when I open them, it shows the attachment icon, and when I click, it doesn't open it and wants to open the .pdf in Polaris Office or Kindle. Is there a setting I haven't checked off properly? Or is this a bug?

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums..  Did these PDFs ever open in any other way?  It's normal on my Android phone for the PDF to look for an app that can read it before it can open.  All PDFs show as thumbnails in mobile apps.

Sorry, on iOS the .pdf just opens in Evernote. Evernote doesn't come up as an option for opening a .pdf. Is this really the normal behaviour? 

That's how it works on my Galaxy S3 and my Note 10.1...prompts for a reader. If I were to choose "always..." I assume it wouldn't ask me any more, but I like to be able to pick a reader based on content of the PDF, so I just select when opening.

• Level 5*

Sorry, on iOS the .pdf just opens in Evernote. Evernote doesn't come up as an option for opening a .pdf. Is this really the normal behaviour? 

I believe that PDFs show as icons in all mobile clients,  needing another click to open them.  This might have changed with recent upgrades in the iOS client,  but your current problem suggests that an external app is still needed whether or not you see any clues to what's happening when you open the file.  You could try a support ticket if you still have any doubts...  see below for the link.

• 1 month later...

Hello gazumped. I am having the same problem in Android with my Galaxy Note 10.1. I think the problem is related to the filename of the attachment when we  want to open it. As you said, the pdf is seen as an attachment  (in Android). I click on open, and it crashes or does not work with most programs (I tried Kno, iAnnotate, Soonr Scribble, Polaris, and ezPDF. Only the last 2 worked). I think the problem is that the file is being opened with the name "data" instead of "originalfilename.pdf", and the lack of extension might confuse the other programs. 

I am desperate to get this working, and I would not like to move my pdfs to another platform to annotate. Can you help us? What can be done to patch this? 
thanks

EDIT: by the way, I have Skitch installed, but it does not appear as an option to open the pdf. 

• Level 5*

Unless a wiser forum member can correct me,  I think your only option is to go with the 'open with' and set the Android 'always' option to your PDF editor of choice.  I tend to use Kingston Office because that does Excel files too,  but your needs may vary.  Evernote does have a PDF reader built in for some OS's - Windows will show content forinstance - but my experience with Android has always been that an external app is required.  Even if Evernote did have a built-in reader,  I don't know whether that would allow you to annotate anything - I can't change the file in Windows without using another external app and re-saving it back to the note.

Archived