REQUEST: Increase limit on number of notebooks

rnjstevens

Idea

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*
So I am a big fan of tags but as a supplement to my notebook organization. I don't need huge changes to EN and nothing should impact those who use tags as their primary organizer. I have given up hope that EN will extend it's notebook hierarchy beyond a stack and one level. All I want is a collapsible list of notebooks on my iPad like the one I have on my mac.

I think that most of us agree that that would be a good thing, and overdue.

When I see 250 I think at 255, which is the max value you can have with 1 byte.

But I just look at the database and notebook's id field is Integer (4 bytes)... so I don't know ^^

Maybe the db structure is totally nuts, or maybe something else is encoded on 3 bytes, or ?... it seems strange to me but I only have basic and superficial knowledge.

That said, if they increase limits or implement nested-NB I won't be opposed. More option, more fun ;)

Mind you, Your Method COULD work for me if the tags available were specific to the selected notebook. For instance, if I selected Notebook A and the tag section updated to reveal only tags that are present in notebook A that could kind of work. But if I have to search in a long list of tags that mostly have nothing to do with notebook A to find the one I want , well that just doesn't work.

Tick the "hide tags" option in the left pane. (Windows client. Can't say if this works in the Mac client. I don't remember if you specified which client you're using. But I'm tired & not going through all the posts to see.)

People always ask for no limits and no restrictions on their stuff. Look at the USA election results a few days ago.

It is human nature.

It is also human nature to forget about the unseen costs that must be borne by the young start-up companies.

Costs? "Why it's just electronic data bits floating around the cloud. That should be free to the consumer."

But is all this stuff free?

http://goo.gl/T3gkd

I think not.

It doesn't have to be free, I actually wouldn't mind paying more. Any option is better than no option at all.

And that is exactly what I fear.

I have seen this happen to other software companies. They acquiesce to the users' demands for more software bloat, find it costs a boatload more money than they expected, raise the price, and end up pricing themselves out of the market and eventually go out of business.

Evernote had a good concept, but with all the bells and whistles they are adding... well as Yogi Berra would say, it feels like deja vu all over again.

There are also successful companies that provide limitless amount of data, e.g. YouTube, yeah they're much bigger though.

But I'm not sure if there are any limits in similar apps like OneNote or SimpleNote even.

In my view a 100,000 Note Limit doesn't make much sense for a hundred year company when I can make 20,000 notes per year. The account might last me only 5 years this way instead of 100.

I also don't think that many people would actually take advantage of limitless amount of Notes so it's unlikely to cause feature bloat or huge issues for Evernote, but who knows.

nope, trading analysis most often doesn't need comment or feedback. technical analysis will just guide them to what to trade on the next day. what I like on evernote is the feeling of something discrete/private. the most powerfull feature that evernote have that I really wanted is the reminder. which I can set even after a year. usefull for weekly/monthly chart trading plans.  but I'll try to look if there's much better option. thanks!

Mind you, Your Method COULD work for me if the tags available were specific to the selected notebook. For instance, if I selected Notebook A and the tag section updated to reveal only tags that are present in notebook A that could kind of work. But if I have to search in a long list of tags that mostly have nothing to do with notebook A to find the one I want , well that just doesn't work.

Tick the "hide tags" option in the left pane. (Windows client. Can't say if this works in the Mac client. I don't remember if you specified which client you're using. But I'm tired & not going through all the posts to see.)

First, I just found how to batch edit notes so thank you for pointing this out to me.

Second, I understand what you are saying about the notebook cars and the tag car A but I need to navigate from Cars to House to Many other Notebooks . It will become really annoying if I need to be picking a notebook then going to a list of hundreds of tags elsewhere to find the right tag. I'm on a mac btw. the tags do not appear under their respective notebook, they live in their own field with all the other tags of all the other notebooks. That's why i said then it's better for me to have only one notebook and only use tags so this way I can recreate the folder architecture I had with folders.

Finally, on a mac, sure I can hide the tags all together but how does that help me? Is there an option to make the tags update to only the ones present in the selected notebook? Because my point about your notebook + tags method is that it's too messy for me to have to first pick a notebook then browse through many many tags. So if I could pick say Notebook Cinema and the tags would update to only the ones existing in Notebook Cinema then I could easily pick a tag and browse through my notes. but If I have to looks through hundreds of tags , or open and close folders of tags; that gets me nowhere.

I think we must be using our Evernote differently. I use it to file stuff in but also to browse fields of interest. I do not always know what I am looking for, I browse in it like in a big book. So I need to be able to access a chapter and then a subchapter and browser all the notes in said subchapter. I almost never do searches since I can access a note in 3 clicks with my notebooks "folder" structure .

• Level 5*

People always ask for no limits and no restrictions on their stuff. Look at the USA election results a few days ago.

It is human nature.

It is also human nature to forget about the unseen costs that must be borne by the young start-up companies.

Costs? "Why it's just electronic data bits floating around the cloud. That should be free to the consumer."

I think not.

It doesn't have to be free, I actually wouldn't mind paying more. Any option is better than no option at all.

I have seen this happen to other software companies. They acquiesce to the users' demands for more software bloat, find it costs a boatload more money than they expected, raise the price, and end up pricing themselves out of the market and eventually go out of business.

Evernote had a good concept, but with all the bells and whistles they are adding... well as Yogi Berra would say, it feels like deja vu all over again.

There are also successful companies that provide limitless amount of data, e.g. YouTube.

I'm not sure if there are any limits in similar apps like OneNote or SimpleNote even.

In my view a 100,000 Note Limit doesn't make much sense for a hundred year company when I can make 20,000 notes per year. The account might last me only 5 years this way instead of 100.

I also don't think that many people would actually take advantage of limitless amount of Notes so it's unlikely to cause feature bloat or huge issues for Evernote, but who knows.

I also see a problem with a 100 year company and a 100,000 note limit, but I do think making it unlimited would cause another headache when everyone sets up their emails to forward everything into Evernote -- I think 20,000 a year for emails alone is entirely conceivable. I imagine 200,000 or 300,000 notes impacts database performance considerably.

The size of the database also matters. At some point (actually, earlier this year for me) the database outstrips the ability for your home computer to hold it. Without offline/online notebooks, the entire system breaks down (as it did for me in August). Let's say they do plan to have offline/online notebooks (Phil Libin has called it inevitable). Then, we have people uploading a couple of gigabytes or more a month.

Add the massive databases together with the massive number of notes, and you get a disaster. Evernote cannot deliver on its promise. So, for the moment, we have a limit on the number of notes and a limit on the size of each note. They will increase these as they become capable of effectively handling the new amounts.

At least, that seems like a plausible theory to me. I have no actual knowledge of the matter :)

ALSO,

Just noticed something tags do not do: on IOS tags do not respect their hierarchy . But notebooks do. Meaning I can see piles of notebooks and their respective notebooks grouped. But the tags appear all on the same lever even if in the desktop application I have created "folders" of tags.

That's really bad for me because it means if I were to use tags which seems to be the only alternative to this stupid limit I would have no way to see my notes in an organized manner on Ipad or iPhone....

I do think making it unlimited would cause another headache when everyone sets up their emails to forward everything into Evernote. I think 20,000 a year for emails alone is entirely conceivable

Btw I don't forward my emails to Evernote unless it's something important, otherwise there's no real reason to.

Lots of my Notes are pictures and videos that I personally take which is a lot more important for me to **remember** compared to random emails and it seems like a perfect use case for Evernote, yet it kinda doesn't really support it...

I mean when you want to actually get close to remembering everything, it's kind of not going to actually work well :)

New Evernote slogan "remeber everything... but not really... because there's a limit"

Or maybe "remeber everything... And then forget everything"

• Level 5*

I recommend tailoring your workflow to the strengths and weaknesses of the clients you use the most. Evernote is different on different devices. Here are some specific examples:

In my case, I use the iPad, so I think my minimalist method (see link earlier in thread) works well. If I were on Windows, though, with all of those sorting features, vertical list view, etc., then I'd probably use a lot more tags.

And, because the desktop versions do not yet have selective syncing, I have stripped out all attachments in order to fit within the constraints of the Macbook Air's limited storage.

• Level 5*
I do think making it unlimited would cause another headache when everyone sets up their emails to forward everything into Evernote. I think 20,000 a year for emails alone is entirely conceivable

Btw I don't forward my emails to Evernote unless it's something important, otherwise there's no real reason to.

Lots of my Notes are pictures and videos that I personally take which is a lot more important for me to **remember** compared to random emails and it seems like a perfect use case for Evernote, yet it kinda doesn't really support it...

I mean when you want to actually get close to remembering everything, it's kind of not going to actually work well :)

New Evernote slogan "remeber everything... but not really... because there's a limit" lol

I've re-evaluated my system as well so that I only put noteworthy or notable stuff into my account ().

As for "remember everything," we know that is more aspirational than operational. Gordon Bell's account would probably occupy the entire Evernote server room, and there would be no room for the other 40 million of us :)

But, it is a goal that I find pretty inspiring -- an platform to help you remember everything, and one to make you smarter.

As for "remember everything," we know that is more aspirational than operational.

I know, I was just kidding. I don't need to remember EVERYTHING either, but it'd be be nice to at least keep all of my important stuff in Evernote.

I can hardly see the use of forwarding ALL my mail to EN. In any case, if people feel like putting tons of stuff in their EN and fill up their hard drive that's really their prerogative. As I pointed out before, everyone uses evernote differently. Some might have tens of thousands notes of only text which would amount to very light total data and others use it mainly for photos or videos. If EN is to be a 100 years company they should really take note that people will use their program for different things. Not all of us collect recipes and plan trips to India. I think EN will survive if it understands that what users really want is flexibility and the power to use the features they way they want it, not the way some market research guy thinks is the right way in order to attack the masses.

I was really enthusiastic about EN 5 when it came out and wrote really good things about it in here, but probably too soon, because I was tricked by it's friendly user interface. I really care a lot about design generally and I do think it's a good thing EN is putting energy into it but I'm really afraid of what's to come. Now that I have used it more, I find the new interface really poorly designed, it takes me a lot more time to find notes then before, things are more confusing and less clear and neat. It might look more appealing to the mass with the Map feature and the pop looking modern design but it's a trade down in terms of usability in my opinion. The main thing I would really like to see come back is the sidebar which is horrible in EN 5 and worked just fine in previous versions.

Why Evernote continues to allows BurgerNFries to be an evangelist is beyond me.  At least in this thread one of the employees had the good sense to show up and try to blunt her nonsense.  I've never seen a person who is supposed to be an "evangelist" work so hard to constantly piss off users who are doing nothing more than post politely.

I also see a problem with a 100 year company and a 100,000 note limit,

Me too. Here's what Heather posted last year.

We actually have had a few people hit 100,000 notes already. That's why we instituted our cap on how many emails you can send into your account per day ;)

At that point, you need to prune down your account because the entire thing becomes read-or-delete-only.

Personally, I've already created my (first?) "archive" account. I have "shared" it to my main account. At this point in time, the archive account only contains notes from my last EN 3.1 (Windows) backup & my last EN 3.5 (Windows) backup, since I failed to confirm my notes were all migrated correctly over to the newer versions. (When moving from 3.1 to 3.5 & from 3.5 to 4.x, there were some database changes, so the app had to actually create a new database on the hard drive & pull the notes in from the prior database.) So at this time, the archive account should really be dups of notes in my main account.

When I start getting nearer to the 100,000 limit (if it's still in play), I will start pruning my notes & exporting them to ENEX, then importing the ENEX file to the archive account. Since the Windows client & Clever both allow you to quickly/easily access notes shared to you, this is a bit more of a palatable option than it was previously. Of course, this won't work for those who have a lot of local/non-sync'd notes since you can only share notes/notebooks that live on the EN servers. But I also guess people who primarily use EN for non-sync'd notes are in the minority. (And I am not in that group either. My local/non-sync'd notes are only a small portion of my notes.)

Ah but you see that's part of my master plan to take over the world..  If I say what you'd think I'd say if I were an alien,  you'd think that a being with a brain the size of the universe wouldn't make such a silly mistake,  so I must not be an alien,  but all the time I am an alien,  plotting World Domination mwahahahahah...

..What was the question again?

Why is the sky blue?

Why Evernote continues to allows BurgerNFries to be an evangelist is beyond me.  At least in this thread one of the employees had the good sense to show up and try to blunt her nonsense.  I've never seen a person less adept at being an evangelist...unless you're idea of an evangelist is to constantly piss off users who are doing nothing more than post politely.

If you have a problem with any of my posts in this thread, please feel free to use the report button.

Actually, I'd suggest this. Create Tag:Cars, Tag:Car A, etc. Then apply the appropriate tags(in Windows this can be all at once) and dump then all of them into a common container, archive. Delete the notebooks.

Now the segregation desired can be achieved by clicking on a tag instead of a notebook. It will look the same in the listing.

This does not apply to shared or local notebooks. I resisted this for a while, but really don't see any difference now.

Regards,

Gary

• Level 5

It is human nature.

I think not.

Archived