Note from a Word Document.

Hello,

I have a Word document and would like to know the best way to it into the Evernote.

Until now I have to create a new note, then open Word, load the doc in it, make a copy and paste in the new note.

Is there a speedier way for doing it ?

Thank you all.

Hello,

I have a Word document and would like to know the best way to it into the Evernote.

Until now I have to create a new note, then open Word, load the doc in it, make a copy and paste in the new note.

Thank you all.

It's helpful if you include what client you're using. On Windows, you can drag & drop or you can set up import folders. Please search the board on the topic, if you need more information on them.

However, this adds the doc as an attachment. If you want the text in the note, I don't know of another way other than what you're already doing.

• Level 5*

...and you can use an Evernote account email address which allows you to assign (pre-existing) notebooks and tags - although again this adds the file as an attachment.  However if you're a premium user,  Evernote will now search inside Word docs...

• 2 months later...

Hi, I just upgraded to Evernote Premium and upload a Word 2003 document. I did a search and nothing came up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By the way, I'm running Evernote on Windows 8.

The indexing is done on the EN servers. Did you sync, wait an hour or so, then sync again?

• 4 weeks later...

Not being able to easily import the text from Word documents into Evernote was my first disappointment with the program so I decided to make a utility to import Word documents with the text.  The program attempts to import the text and most of the formatting from the Word document using the Evernote API which is published for all the Trunk applications.  Feel free to give it a try.  The program is free and can be found at: http://www.docclipper.com

• Level 5*

Not being able to easily import the text from Word documents into Evernote was my first disappointment with the program so I decided to make a utility to import Word documents with the text.  The program attempts to import the text and most of the formatting from the Word document using the Evernote API which is published for all the Trunk applications.  Feel free to give it a try.  The program is free and can be found at: http://www.docclipper.com

I can see this being useful for non-prem users;  the note content is (presumably) indexable.  The content of a word document is indexed for Premium users anyway, so when I attach a file to a note I tend to rely on keywords or intelligent titles to tell me what's in the files on a note by note basis.  Search will always tell me whether I have the document I'm looking for in my database somewhere.

On the other hand if the layout is retained this might be a good way to set up templates for (say) telephone notes or contact details...

Interesting,  Thanks for the link - I'll test further!

Hi Rydlum, I tried out docClipper and it works great!

Thank you very much for docClipper! What a fantastic utility.

Appreciate your contribution to making Evernote even more usable.

No problem.  Enjoy!  And pls let me know if you run into any issues.

I can see this being useful for non-prem users;  the note content is (presumably) indexable.  The content of a word document is indexed for Premium users anyway, so when I attach a file to a note I tend to rely on keywords or intelligent titles to tell me what's in the files on a note by note basis.  Search will always tell me whether I have the document I'm looking for in my database somewhere.

On the other hand if the layout is retained this might be a good way to set up templates for (say) telephone notes or contact details...

I've been using Evernote for a few years and love it but always found a missing link between my daily writing tool (Word) and Evernote so I decided to write DocClipper in my spare time.  Later Evernote released their functionality for premium users but I found that DocClipper is still useful since it extracts and displays the content of the Word document in an Evernote note rather than just having the Word document indexed by the Evernote search feature.

I hope the tool helps you out as well.  Please let me know if you run into any issues.

I just upgraded my Evernote app and apparently have lost all my previous stuff... All the previous notes are displaying Unable to Load message, though the titles are still present. How can I get it back? 

• Level 5*

I just upgraded my Evernote app and apparently have lost all my previous stuff... All the previous notes are displaying Unable to Load message, though the titles are still present. How can I get it back? 

Please start a new thread on this - and let us know what your OS is / which Evernote client you're using...

• Level 5*

I've been using Evernote for a few years and love it but always found a missing link between my daily writing tool (Word) and Evernote so I decided to write DocClipper in my spare time.  Later Evernote released their functionality for premium users but I found that DocClipper is still useful since it extracts and displays the content of the Word document in an Evernote note rather than just having the Word document indexed by the Evernote search feature.

I hope the tool helps you out as well.  Please let me know if you run into any issues.

Just tried to install - had to acquire MS .Net 4.5 first;  then asked to authorise access to Evernote which I did: program seems to hang after that point...

Just want to publicly thank Rydlum who helped me out a problem with DocClipper ang thus get me off the Evernote-Word conundrum.

Great work.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Hello,

Thank you all.

Assuming that EN Win works like EN Mac for this, you could open the Word document, and then save as either RTF or HTML into your Evernote Import folder.  This should import as text in the Note.

• 5 months later...

I'm a recent new user of Evernote in Windows 8.1 and I wanted to thank Rydlum for docclipper.  I have a lot of content stored as Word documents and although I have a premium membership, I want to see the content in one place, Evernote, so just attachments, although searchable, are not quite what I want.  Docclipper handles this nicely.  Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

You can do this pretty easily with Microsoft Outlook... well, once you set some things up first. In MS Word and Outlook prior to 2007 there was a function to "Send to Mail Recipient" which turned the document into your email body. Since Office 2007 this doesn't exist anymore, but there's a great article to create a Macro for it. 

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/senddocasmail.htm

Follow the instructions on that site. Once you've made your MS Word Macro, open the document in MS Word, run your Macro - this will create an email in Outlook with your document as the message body, with formatting - email this to your Evernote email address and voila! You'll find a note with your word doc as the body content in seconds. 

Down-side, can't do this for documents in bulk, but it's actually even easier than cut-and-paste. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Rydlum,

I used DocClipper with W7 and it worked fine; I loved it. But now, with W10 it would not work.Would you consider update it to accommodate W10?

Thansk

@Rydlum--I just tested on my Windows 10 and it worked fine.  I updated from 8.1 to 10.  Maybe you should try to uninstall and reinstall it?

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

First I did not find how to un-install DocClipper, there is no reference to it in the control panel nor in the Revo un-installer.

I juste deleted the file and unzip the zipped file I saved.

When I run the DocClipper.exe I was asked to sign-in with Evernote to re-authorize DocClipper for one year. That's what I did and it works now.

Thanks a lot for that.

@Rydum--I have seen occasions where the evernote clipping tool needed me to log in again; it appeared to be non working but I discovered it wanted me to log in.  I have not seen this with docclipper but will keep this in mind.  Thanks for your post as it jogged my mind on this topic.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

I have problems too - seems to be an issue with the website.  I generally used to use Select All and Copy/ Paste to put Word content into Evernote - usually with the DOC(X) file attached to the same note so I could use the content for navigation but edit the file with changes.  I'm a premium user so my account searches inside Office files now - no need for copying unless I need to share the content.

Archived