Feature Request: Embed Notes w/in Notes

granted I'm a productivity software junkie, so I see lots of different approaches to solving common problems. One of the most useful I've run across is in notestorm; you can (using evernote terms here) embed a note w/in a note. Let me give you an example:

Say I have three projects across three different stacked notebooks (Inbox, Proj #1, Proj #2, Proj #3). Each project notebook has a to do list associated with it complete with tickboxes etc for that project. Rather than going to each to do list, or embedding links to each of those lists (which I do really dig BTW) I would like the ability to more or less do an iframe in a 'parent note' meaning if I open up a 'master to do list' I could embed all the tickboxes etc from all of the sub projects to do lists. Then as I complete them, I can see all of that in one centralized place. If I make updates from the project to do list, or if I make the update from the master to do list, it's all the same.

this may have been in my head for too long, so that might not make sense to some people; and it may be that there is a way to do this that I', not currently aware of. I would appreciate any feedback the community may have on the notion; I did run a search, but didn't see other people as having asked for that feature.

thanks,

~Brian

• Level 5*

Hi Brian

What you're looking for (I think) is called Transclusion in Wiki circles - embedding a link in one note that instead of allowing you to jump to another note,  shows the contents of some or all of that other note at the point it is embedded.

I use this a lot in Wikis,  since it ensures you never have to type something twice.  Need to show a fix for a particular fault as an option in a longer error-checking process?  Transclude the explanation page wherever you need it,  then if that fix is ever updated,  ALL the documents quoting it will automatically have the newer version,  without having to be revised themselves.

Have lots of personal information about a contact?  Transclude that detail into their current company page.  If they ever leave you can switch all the background to a new company..

-you get the picture.

I'm in favour of this for several reasons:

1. I'm incredibly lazy,  and never want to type anything more than once
  2. If key information is only in one place,  when you change that one instance - it changes everywhere the details are quoted
  3. I don't want to have to jump through half a dozen pages to get a full picture - it all needs to be in one place (see 1 above)

Evernote won't ever allow anything like a note hierarchy,  with parent and child levels (IMHO) but I do hope they tweak up the note linking feature to make it much easier to create and maintain ordinary links between notes,  as well as adding the option to transclude some or all of one note in the body of another.  (That note might itself be transcluded elsewhere too!)

The clients have developed unbelievably since the first 'till roll' versions,  so here's hoping that we'll see more on this sometime reasonably soon...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This is something I've been wanting for a long while. This would be especially useful for something like a "Portal" that you often see at the bottom of Wikis, where you get a list of links. Kind of a live TOC or index.

As with the above commenters though, I also want to embed other common/shared content within other notes.

Archived