Pricing and Premium for Education

We had a sponsored group running as a pilot with the 50% education discount. We were shut off of that February 2 when (apparently) sponsored groups were discontiuned. So far the only referrals I'm getting are for the Evernote for Business option instead and I cannot discover where any ed discount exists. Has the education discount gone away? If not, how do I move my sponsored group into the new solution. If not, $120/student or teacher/year is a pretty high bar ($60 was already pretty high in my view).

• Level 5*

We had a sponsored group running as a pilot with the 50% education discount. We were shut off of that February 2 when (apparently) sponsored groups were discontiuned. So far the only referrals I'm getting are for the Evernote for Business option instead and I cannot discover where any ed discount exists. Has the education discount gone away? If not, how do I move my sponsored group into the new solution. If not, $120/student or teacher/year is a pretty high bar ($60 was already pretty high in my view).

Hi. Welcome to the forums. As far as I know, the education discount no longer exists. I think in this case you will find answers by directly contacting customer support (see the link in my signature).

Here is hoping the Phil and the Evernote team realize the opportunity to continue to work with schools at a discounted rate. We use it with teachers, students and promoted it to parents. It will be a shame if we have to stop as even though we pay about $1,000.00 a month for just under 500 users, from what I can tell going to Evernote Business will double that making it out of reach as while important to us, it may not be mission critical as we are a Google Apps school as well.

Getting users using your services when young has been proven to be a method for building brand loyalty so please do not overlook the opportunity.

Carefully consider the long 100 year company plan before eliminating the education discount forever.

• Like 1

Carefully consider the long 100 year company plan before eliminating the education discount forever.

While I can understand your desire for an educational discount, sometimes part of the key to being a 100 year company is having the income to support such a venture. IDK why it was discontinued. But ROI may have been a factor.

• 3 weeks later...

While I can understand your desire for an educational discount, sometimes part of the key to being a 100 year company is having the income to support such a venture. IDK why it was discontinued. But ROI may have been a factor.

It is much more then desire when we have a contractual agreement for a set price and then without any notice, it goes away. They can not have it both ways. If ROI is the issue, then something less then a %400 increase for schools may have been needed. If they really needed a %400 increase, then it is best to get out now as clearly there are larger issues at play here. We are now faced with letting students, teachers, and parents drop using Evernote as we can not afford $4,000.00 a month. Good luck with maintaining the growth Evernote. This does not seem like the Evernote I grew to love for their future looking type company. I had counted on them being different. I think there will be a backlash against them for this increase. I have also promoted Evernote to not be used for free as way too many schools push. I like to pay for services but clearly can no longer afford Evernote. I am more sad then mad.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Same experience here - we were happily using a sponsored group at 50% discount and suddenly the group was stopped (a problem with payment was used as an initial reason and red herring). The communication since has been inconsistent and unhelpful, see quotes from e-mail communication below.

June 4th

"Yes, there is an educational premium discount"

June 10th

"unfortunately it seems educational discounts are no longer available"

I have sent a very unhappy e-mail. They have in one move removed the ability of a number of schools to integrate Evernote into the way they work - we have been through a trial phase and were looking at rolling out Evernote more widely but have now put a brake on that idea. The crazy increase in cost to go from education discount to Evernote Business is not feasible, the poor customer service just adds to the issues. Did they think we wouldn't notice the change to sponsored groups and education discount? Did they think we wouldn't make a fuss if they suddenly pulled service options with no warning? I don't get it. I have gone from extolling the virtues of the company to being extremely unhappy. They now appear to me to be a company that puts profits ahead of long term development, social responsibility and customer service. 
  • Level 5

Besides 50% student discounts, I think Evernote should also offer Teacher discounts, Senior Citizen discounts, Active Military discounts, Former Military Discounts, Discounts for Charitable Organizations, Union discounts, Government employee discounts, discounts for the unemployed, discounts for the Arts. Just think how much all these organizations could add to Evernote's future growth and bottom line.

What?

I'm just saying...

Whatever you make of the discounts on offer - treating paying customers with such disdain is not excusable.

They could have managed a change to their services and price plans with much more tact and sensitivity. A complete lack of communication and clarity is a big issue for any company with paying customers. 

To promote their product to teachers on their website and to then treat their teacher customer base in the ways described in this thread is pretty poor. 

• 3 months later...

I own and operate an IT firm. We serve over 50 medium to large size companies. We've tested several products including Evernote, for possibilty to suggest the service to our clients (Business Edition). This forum and complaints about education discount was a game changer for our decision. We can not promote nor support a company that offers a service to teachers/students for discounted price and than with no communication it stops the discount... This is no different than giving the students cookies with discounted price and taking it back from their lunch boxes. This is not ethical, I will take my business elsewhere. I hope someone from Evernote is reading this; Shame on you guys.

I own and operate an IT firm. We serve over 50 medium to large size companies. We've tested several products including Evernote, for possibilty to suggest the service to our clients (Business Edition). This forum and complaints about education discount was a game changer for our decision. We can not promote nor support a company that offers a service to teachers/students for discounted price and than with no communication it stops the discount... This is no different than giving the students cookies with discounted price and taking it back from their lunch boxes. This is not ethical, I will take my business elsewhere. I hope someone from Evernote is reading this; Shame on you guys.

IIRC, this discount was for a premium account & was specifically for a limited time frame (three months, IIRC.)  Rather like a trial magazine subscription or a trial of a software app.  So it's not like the users were totally unaware that this was not a lifetime deal.  Having said all that...Evernote is...FREE!  Premium account is optional.  So I'm not really sure what there is to complain about.

*All* members of Sponsored Groups were notified that Sponsored Groups were being discontinued to the contact information of the administrator of the account. Any members currently on a paid plan have until the end of their term to make arrangements to transfer. We did not cancel anyone without *any* notice. 

People whose accounts were cancelled for nonpayment we were unfortunately unable to reactivate, as the Sponsored Groups product no longer exists. Unfortunately, people who did not have correct billing information on file may have had their accounts discontinued sooner than they wished.

We have attempted to work with everyone who has contacted us to make arrangements to transition their accounts to Evernote Business as smoothly as possible. However, there is nothing we can do to reactivate a Sponsored Group.

For Educational discounts of 75% off 5 seats or more, you can go to http://evernote.com/schools/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Besides 50% student discounts, I think Evernote should also offer Teacher discounts, Senior Citizen discounts, Active Military discounts, Former Military Discounts, Discounts for Charitable Organizations, Union discounts, Government employee discounts, discounts for the unemployed, discounts for the Arts. Just think how much all these organizations could add to Evernote's future growth and bottom line.

What?

I'm just saying...

Incredible display of short term thinking and elitism (among other things) - not even sure where to start.

First of all, our future is in education, so a business model that promotes education is always a sound investment. Second, even as a ruthless business strategy, having no concern for anyone other than themselves, EN can get tax write-offs for discounting education accounts AND hook students into Evernote while they are young and create future business. Either way, philanthropy or Big Business, it can work for Evernote...

• Level 5

What?

I'm just saying...

Incredible display of short term thinking and elitism (among other things) - not even sure where to start.

First of all, our future is in education, so a business model that promotes education is always a sound investment. Second, even as a ruthless business strategy, having no concern for anyone other than themselves, EN can get tax write-offs for discounting education accounts AND hook students into Evernote while they are young and create future business. Either way, philanthropy or Big Business, it can work for Evernote...

Many people realize the fallacy of your "investment" logic. Just look at the results of the current public education system - specifically science, math, reading - compared to other countries paying far less per student. Businesses such as Evernote have a concern to their shareholders and owners, not philanthropy. The general consumer has a concern for their own pocketbook as evidenced by the balance of trade figures. The vast majority of purchases are based on cost and quality, not charity.

And Evernote does offer a special package for schools.

• 6 years later...

I don't understand why everyone is complaining. Evernote is free. The free version is fantastic as it is. I have used the free version for my courses all the way up to my doctorate. I plan on upgrading to the premium version, for the annotation feature, with the student discount for the first year. This is the same thing other companies do. Amazon offers the first year of Prime at a discount rate for students. Expecting a company to offer discount on so many forefronts is ridiculous especially considering the relatively low price. This is basic business principles. Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and appreciate that they even offer a discount to begin with.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, NLGsy said:

I don't understand why everyone is complaining. Evernote is free.

This is a very old discussion
People are still complaining, and there are still student discounts

>>I plan on upgrading to the premium version, for the annotation feature

My reason for upgrading is that I need the increased limits in note size and upload
The other premium features are a great bonus

• Level 5

Open your fridge. Watch the items that are in there. Remember you did not go shoplifting, you went to a cashier and paid for your groceries. Same with your utilities bill. Same with your rent. Same with your last visit to the gas station. Same ...

The people working at EN, offering a premium product and service for us users, are in the same position.

So stop whining that for a good service you have to pay. It is not more than a cup of Starbucks brew per month. Cut back on the coffee, do yourself a favor, and support the people behind the login screen.

• 3 months later...