Arranging or Re-arranging Attachments/Pictures in a Note

One way I use notes is for my work with rescue Pomeranian's.

I create a note for each dog.  As time goes on I add pictures, documents, vet reports, invoices, etc... to the note for the respective dog.  This way I can email to the new owners, fellow rescuers, our treasurer, etc...

My question is this, how do I rearrange the attachments once they are in a note? 

I would like to have pictures at the top and the documents grouped by subject, but I don't receive them this way and they trickle in.

Here is an example in where I would like to move the picture to the top:  

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s87/sh/8de9bf17-4e50-43f0-9c3f-d7188895e1ed/375e0f50eada0020bb0b363010453dac

• Level 5*

Hi - attachments can be re-ordered by dragging and dropping them in the desired position.  Large files (like pictures) sometimes cause problems,  but can be copied/ moved to the local desktop and then reinserted in the note in a new position if necessary.  Obviously this is a desktop operation rather than tablet or mobile - you may not have the option available in a mobile client.

Another thought - particularly for the OP - is to have things in different notes.  If you have your attachments in separate notes - in this case all tagged <BamBam> to keep them 'together' and create a note link under the picture in one note for each additional piece of information,  you can have a very neat layout -

<picture>

link to medical history

link to adoption details

etc..

Search for the tag and share all notes,  but only circulate the picture note URL,  and everything works.

(You might want to add some bells and whistles like a copy of all note links at the bottom of each page as a menu,  or just "use back button" etc...)

Edit:  and before anyone else points out my deliberate mistake - put all BamBam's notes in a notebook and share the notebook to allow others to see all the notes!

• 2 years later...

Hi there, i am using evernote for meetings. I send an email with multiple attachments to evernote including the folder for the note, the date when i have to read the attachments for preparimg the meeting. All attachments in pdf. But in the note it is still not possible to rearrange the attachments and evernote is changing the order even when I am numbering the attachments. This makes it very difficult for meetings. So either evernote should not rearrange the order of the attachments or it should be possible te rearrange them. I am talking about mobile use of evernote because i do not use pc. Colleages of mine are switching to goodreader because of this but that should not be necessary?

• Level 5*

Hi. Basically none of that is possible in Evernote full stop.  You might be able to do some of it by having separate notes for each attachment and linking them all together with titles - changing the title slightly (from 0020-something to 0015-something) would alter the order of the notes,  and sharing a notebook with those notes (and a TOC summary) would inform other attendees.  Just as a suggestion.

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, Joe Loves Watercolors said:

Does anyone know how Evernote decides what picture to pick for the thumbnail?

No, not even Evernote.  :o

Just kidding.  Evernote has this convoluted algorithm they call "largest smallest", or some such nonsense.  While the computer can figure this out, most of us mere mortals cannot.  IAC, it's a very, very, dumb, very user unfriendly, algorithm.

10 hours ago, Joe Loves Watercolors said:

Is there any way to specify the thumbnail?

Not directly.  If it is really important to you, you can do this:

1. Create a 1 cell table, and resize to the size you want the image to be shown.
  2. Drag/drop the image into this cell
  3. Right-click on image, and select external image app that has a resize tool
  4. Double the image size (200%)
  5. Save and close to return to Evernote.

Check to see If Evernote has selected the image for the thumbnail.
If not, repeat steps 3-5  until it does.

NOTE: This will impact your monthly upload allowance.  If you are not a Premium account user, it could be a significant hit on your allowance.

I know, this is a PITA, and is totally ridiculous.  But for now, it is the only way to force Evernote to pick a particular image.

If you want a new feature to allow the user to select the image, please go to this thread, started in 2011, and click on the vote up arrow:
REQUEST: Choosing a Thumbnail 

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping this topic, as it is often necessary to organize a notebook after creating it, and images are a part of this.  Programming a way to change order within the notebook would simplify this procedure.  Thanks all.

• Level 5*
On 2/2/2019 at 7:07 PM, kifvan said:

I'm bumping this topic, as it is often necessary to organize a notebook after creating it, and images are a part of this.  Programming a way to change order within the notebook would simplify this procedure.  Thanks all.

Hi.  You'd get more traction if you post a link to this topic in one of the Feature Request forums where it can attract some votes.  It is now possible to drag and drop / copy and paste information around in a desktop client note,  but not AFAIK in any mobile device.

• Level 5*

On 3/19/2013 at 12:46 PM, Poppiefresh said:

I create a note for each dog. As time goes on I add pictures, documents, vet reports, invoices, etc... to the note for the respective dog. This way I can email to the new owners, fellow rescuers, our treasurer, etc...
My question is this, how do I rearrange the attachments once they are in a note?

A lot of these type of problems, that of organizing attachments and images inside a note (but not the choice of thumbnail, nor of organizing notes, which are not part of the original request) can be resolved using tables and/or note templates.

Archived