Is it possible to change the default set of fonts?

I know how to change the default font by going to the preferences and change it in there. But is it possible to change the default set of fonts?

For example, normally I would use Open Sans as a default font. But sometimes when the note gets longer I'd like to make it look more organised. So I would use, say, Rockwell for titles. This means I'd need to switch between Rockwell and Open Sans every now and then. What's even more daunting is when I take coding notes, I like the codes to be in a mono-spaced type, in which case I'd need to switch between 3 different fonts. And sadly none of them are in the default set.

Is there any way I can have a set of fonts to my liking instead of stuck with the given set of which I seldom use? Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

I know how to change the default font by going to the preferences and change it in there. But is it possible to change the default set of fonts?

For example, normally I would use Open Sans as a default font. But sometimes when the note gets longer I'd like to make it look more organised. So I would use, say, Rockwell for titles. This means I'd need to switch between Rockwell and Open Sans every now and then. What's even more daunting is when I take coding notes, I like the codes to be in a mono-spaced type, in which case I'd need to switch between 3 different fonts. And sadly none of them are in the default set.

Is there any way I can have a set of fonts to my liking instead of stuck with the given set of which I seldom use? Thanks in advance.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. It's actually pretty easy to change the default fonts if you have a minute to spare. 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/73b1dafd-909b-4364-8bc1-d5b4dda03c18/5ab13423cdacb17e9c2966d6c1b0b934

• Level 5*

Clever but keep in mind that you won't see that font on other devices.

If I understand you correctly Mr. Olicious, I hear you saying that you won't see the font selections on other Macs that you use. That is true. If you use multiple Macs, you will have to set it up this way for each one... until the Mac team gives us access to all the fonts on our machines by default :)

Clever but keep in mind that you won't see that font on other devices.

If I understand you correctly Mr. Olicious, I hear you saying that you won't see the font selections on other Macs that you use. That is true. If you use multiple Macs, you will have to set it up this way for each one... until the Mac team gives us access to all the fonts on our machines by default :)

I think a possible misunderstanding needs to be cleared up here.

If I write something in a note with one (or more) of the incredibly awesome fonts, I have chosen to have access to according to the method Grumpy links to, it (or they) will show on another device (at least on OS X and Windows clients) provided, of course, that that particular font is installed. Even on a fresh installs that has not had their fonts tampered with. I will even be able to switch back and forth between the regular fonts and the "special font". But of course, only within that particular note (PS: But you can always just copy the formatted text to wherever you might need your incredibly awesome font :) )

• 3 months later...

Hi. Welcome to the forums. It's actually pretty easy to change the default fonts if you have a minute to spare. 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/73b1dafd-909b-4364-8bc1-d5b4dda03c18/5ab13423cdacb17e9c2966d6c1b0b934

This link doesn't work - can you post an updated link or instructions here? I'd really like to change my default font. Thanks

• Level 5*

This link doesn't work - can you post an updated link or instructions here? I'd really like to change my default font. Thanks

Hi. Here you go.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24899-request-editable-list-of-fonts-in-drop-down-menu/?p=166071

Hi. Here you go.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24899-request-editable-list-of-fonts-in-drop-down-menu/?p=166071

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be what I was looking for; it looks to me like instructions for making additional fonts available.

What I want is to set a default font in Evernote such that each time I create/edit a note the text I enter is in the default font. Almost all my notes are programming related and using a monospaced font like Courier is what I prefer. I can change the font, but each time I enter new text it's in the default font (Helvetica or something) - it's very annoying.

• Level 5*

Hi. Here you go.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be what I was looking for; it looks to me like instructions for making additional fonts available.

What I want is to set a default font in Evernote such that each time I create/edit a note the text I enter is in the default font. Almost all my notes are programming related and using a monospaced font like Courier is what I prefer. I can change the font, but each time I enter new text it's in the default font (Helvetica or something) - it's very annoying.

Oh. I see. Go to Preferences > Formatting > Fonts

Also, you may want to use plain text by going to the menu, Format > Make Plain Text. I am afraid there is no way to set plain text as the default, though.

• 6 months later...

This solution does not really work for me. What I would like is to have Helvetica Neue Light as standard font for new notes, pasted text etc.

I went to Preferences > Formatting > Note Text and set "Helvetica Neue Light 16" as font there. I also copied Helvetica Neue Light to the web collection in Font Book (I use OSX Mavericks).

Still, everytime I paste text or create a new note, the font is set to "Helvetica Neue 16", not "Helvetica Neue Light 16". 

This problem is really annoying, is there any way to fix this? 

• 1 month later...

This solution does not really work for me. What I would like is to have Helvetica Neue Light as standard font for new notes, pasted text etc.

I went to Preferences > Formatting > Note Text and set "Helvetica Neue Light 16" as font there. I also copied Helvetica Neue Light to the web collection in Font Book (I use OSX Mavericks).

Still, everytime I paste text or create a new note, the font is set to "Helvetica Neue 16", not "Helvetica Neue Light 16". 

Yeah I am facing the same problem too. I was looking for the light instead of regular typeface. Any way to fix this?

• Level 5

Yeah I am facing the same problem too. I was looking for the light instead of regular typeface. Any way to fix this?

This is a known bug. It is not currently possible to set your default font to a variant of a font (Light, Bold, Italic, etc...).

• 5 months later...

This is a known bug. It is not currently possible to set your default font to a variant of a font (Light, Bold, Italic, etc...).

Any ETA on a fix ?

I would also be very interested in a fix!

• 1 year later...

hello. 18 months later this bug still hasn't been addressed! is it in your backlog? how low? thanks

• 2 years later...

When I ran into this, I got around this by saving the variant of the font as its own named font. In my case I was trying to make use of Gotham, Regular so I just made a Gotham Regular font as it's own font file from that variant and Evernote didn't seem to have a problem making it the default. It's obviously a hack as you have to fracture font sets but it gets the job done.

Also, for those want to make the fonts portable to multiple devices, you export the font sets so that are loaded onto other systems. For evernote they simply have to be called "Web" to work. As for iOS, I have never tried to change the system fonts, or know if it is even possible for a non-jailbroken phone. I know of some apps that add font sets using keyboards, but it's kludge and not pretty. Finally, to share fonts between MacOS and Windows I believe you need to use non-suitcase TrueType fonts which may be the simple reason why variants are not supported in default fonts- because it is based on the Windows model. (That is only speculation of course- who knows for sure why Evernote doesn't support this properly.) In any case, I have not attempted to import a font set exported from MacOS in Windows yet, so if you have, I'd be interested to see if you got it working. Thanks.

Archived