Resize image by dragging edges outward

In the old Skitch I could grab any edge of an image and drag outwards to extend the image in that direction. I found this very useful -- VERY USEFUL. In the last version, I find that I can no longer do this. Am I just missing the right incantation or is it no longer available now that Evernote owns Skitch?

@Chip - Currently the way to resize requires you to select the Crop/Resize tool (pic below) and then select Resize. From there you can resize via the slider.

We are in the process of coming up with a new design for how make Cropping and Resize work similar to the old, while we also bring the ability to have an infinite canvas similar to Skitch Android. As you can imagine coming up with a design that is easy for anyone to figure out that balances all three of those components isn't easy.

13%208:43%20PM.png

Actually, I don't want to resize as in making it larger or small in general, but I actually want to extend the canvas by pulling on one edge or another. I often use this to create new area to draw on or to add extra background around the image since it adds space based on what's at that edge. For example, I can take a logo that is cropped closely and give it a buffer around the edges.

• 5 weeks later...

I like Skitch 2.0, especially the version that was just released a few days ago. But the new resizing functionality is a lot less intuitive and goes against the idea of Skitch being quick and easy to use. It's very cumbersome now. Please bring back the old resizing functionality!

@Irina I - The only changes we made for Skitch 2.5 from any previous 2.x version was to move the Crop/Resize properties to the top fo the screen, start crop corners at the edges, and improve the icons. The base functionality has not changed in any version of 2.x.

Did you prefer the Crop/Resize properties at the top of the screen instead of the bottom?

Hello Joe,

Oh boy, it is difficult to post comments here :)

Anyway, came to say the same thing that Chip mentioned. I REALLY REALLY  miss that old version of skitch, but it did not work anymore when I changed my Mac, so had to update. I used it a lot by adding a white space where I could write comments to my designer.. Took a screenshot of the file, added white by dragging the corners, wrote text on the white part with fleshes pointed at the places I wanted to be changed, and sent to her. Now there is no such possiblity, so I really cannot use it anymore the way I used it.

I am sure all the people who used it before, have found this very useful. Almost gave up writing this comment, cause needed to sign in, get a new name (first one was used by someone, etc)... Anyway, feel it is important to let you guys know. For me that was very important, actually the most important part of the skitch..

@chenaie,

We call that feature Infinite Canvas, and I can assure we're working to bring it back. While this may not be a consolation at this time, that feature exists on our Android platform. We haven't given up on in it, we're just working through some user experience issues to make it work for people from anywhere, on all of our platforms. 

I can't promise an exact date, but I can assure it's very high on our priority list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll cast my vote as well.   I was an evangelist of Skitch for a while but now I can't even use it.   Well until spending 2 hours today to search the forums to figure out how to get over all these obstacles: 

1) Couldn't sign in to skitch/evernote (it would always crash apparently because my new computer wasn't named in the sharing folder in preferences).   C'mon Skitch!  That shouldn't still be an issue.  Fix it.

2)  The resize functionality is poorly designed and took me a while to figure out.  It's poorly designed because the design conventions aren't consistent.  Most of the left nav menu items have the little arrow for multiple options but crop/resize provides the options on the top of the window.  why throw in a misc convention?  

3) The infinite canvas feature was taken away.  Why on earth would you take away one of the most important features for product managers and web designers?  Just really strange product management going on over there.   This is fine if it were a normal enterprise product but skitch was loved because it was so thoughtfully designed to be simple and intuitive.  Now it's hardly.

Sorry for all the negativity but Skitch was such an important application for me and so I get upset when I see the quality degrade.   My guess is that the founders left after evernote acquired it but I haven't been following it.      

@Ilnim - Thanks for the feedback. A couple of quick responses below:

1) Couldn't sign in to skitch/evernote (it would always crash apparently because my new computer wasn't named in the sharing folder in preferences).   C'mon Skitch!  That shouldn't still be an issue.  Fix it.

This was a bug that was introduce with a OS X 10.8 update, prior to that update an un-named computer did not cause an issue with Skitch. This bug has been fixed with 2.6, which is forthcoming.

2)  The resize functionality is poorly designed and took me a while to figure out.  It's poorly designed because the design conventions aren't consistent.  Most of the left nav menu items have the little arrow for multiple options but crop/resize provides the options on the top of the window.  why throw in a misc convention?

We agree and are working on fixing this right now. We've had some designs in the works and are busy implementing and testing some changes which will make using the tools much clearer and result in a better experience. 

3) The infinite canvas feature was taken away.  Why on earth would you take away one of the most important features for product managers and web designers?

There were a host of technical decisions that lead up to the removal of Expandable Canvas (formerly known as Infinite Canvas) needless to say it is coming back. The 2.6 beta has Expandable Canvas added back. 

Are you also going to explore making everything available with a single click? The Office "ribbon" UI is totally stupid, because of the way it makes people click more times than they need to - please don't try and use that as a good example. 

Please focus on making the new skitch as quick to use as possible. The main feature the new skitch is missing is "getting out of the way of whatever you were doing in the first place".

@selfishy - We are not going to mimic Office. We looked at dozens of applications and tried to figure out what makes them work well and what works bad. Our goals have been to focus people on their content, make it easier to understand their options, and to improve the overall clarity of the UI. We've spent weeks designing and testing lots of different approaches and have come up with something that works well across all Skitch platforms. Right now we're building out those designs so we can start doing more extensive testing before any release. 

So far all of our testing says we're on the right track, so we're feeling good that we've addressed the core problems, now it's about polish and getting it all to feel right. 

@selfishy - No I understood, and just wanted to assure you we aren't going any further in that direction. The new UI in testing works to minimize clicks as much as possible.

@zeusDYR - Hopefully very very soon.  ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived