Unable to see certain notes unless connected to wifi

I have noticed a problem, just in the last several days I think.  I was out running errands the other day, and opened Evernote on my Nexus 7 tablet, to look up a recipe.  However, all I could see was the *name* of the note in that front page.  Several other recipe notes would show the recipe inside the little square, underneath the title, yet others would only display the note title.  The ones that had the 'miniature' note displayed, would open up fully, when tapped.  But the notes that had only the title, would try to open, and then give me a message "Unable to load note". 

I swear I don't remember this happening before the last few days.  So I drove over to a Starbucks, and connected, and then BAM I was able to see my recipe. 

What would cause this??  That recipe has been in my Evernote since June 2012.  ???   (It isn't just that one note either, as I said it's happening with several notes.)

This morning, at home, I opened Evernote again, on the tablet.  And I looked through the other recipe notes, the ones that were not displaying the small recipe detail under the title on that main page, and I clicked and opened several of them...and then closed them.  And closed Evernote.  When I reopened it, NOW those recipe notes are displaying the detail below, and I am betting that I can now see those notes offline.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  Help?

Sorry, can you clarify that?  I don't know what you mean about "specifying notes for offline access".  I was under the impression that notes were always available offline, as long as my tablet had synched at some point.  What is the "cache"?

If you are saying that I have to have a premium account to see my notes offline, well that pretty much goes against everything that I have been using it for...in the past year.  :huh:  At least half of the time that I need to access my notes, I have no internet connection.  I thought that was the whole dang point??? 

Sorry, can you clarify that?  I don't know what you mean about "specifying notes for offline access".  I was under the impression that notes were always available offline, as long as my tablet had synched at some point.  What is the "cache"?

Mobile devices use a cache, just like your web browser does.  When necessary, the cache is cleared in order to cache other information. 

If you want to be sure to have access to certain notes on your mobile device(s) when you don't have internet access, you'll need to have a premium account, specify which notebooks you want for offline access & sync. 

Please search the board on "offline notebooks" if you need more information.

Well this is pretty mind-boggling to me.  The whole friggin' *big deal* of Evernote, as it was explained to me, was that I could save information while online, and then retrieve it later with no internet access. 

I am very very disappointed, and also amazed that this is such an "unadvertised" shortcoming.   

$45 a year is much too rich for my blood.  I guess I will do some research on how to make my information accessible, perhaps using another application.  What a shame.  I really liked Evernote.  :-(

Well this is pretty mind-boggling to me.  The whole friggin' *big deal* of Evernote, as it was explained to me, was that I could save information while online, and then retrieve it later with no internet access. 

I am very very disappointed, and also amazed that this is such an "unadvertised" shortcoming.   

$45 a year is much too rich for my blood.  I guess I will do some research on how to make my information accessible, perhaps using another application.  What a shame.  I really liked Evernote.  :-(

It's true that you can save information & retrieve it later with no internet access...as long as you are a premium user.   To clarify, if you're using a desktop client, you don't need internet access.  But the above is true for all mobile devices.

This is *not* unadvertised. 

http://evernote.com/premium/

I realize EN may not be worth $45/year for everyone.  But if it's something you rely upon heavily, it's a very cheap price to pay.

It's true that you can save information & retrieve it later with no internet access...as long as you are a premium user.   To clarify, if you're using a desktop client, you don't need internet access.  But the above is true for all mobile devices.

I realize EN may not be worth $45/year for everyone.  But if it's something you rely upon heavily, it's a very cheap price to pay.

It's not advertised to anyone considering the free version.  THAT is what I am referring to.  This is the Google play store description:

"Evernote is an easy-to-use, free app that helps you remember everything across all of the devices you use. Stay organized, save your ideas and improve productivity. Evernote lets you take notes, capture photos, create to-do lists, record voice reminders--and makes these notes completely searchable, whether you are at home, at work, or on the go."

"On the go" to me, means NO INTERNET.  I think it does to most people, frankly.  If I have internet access everywhere, I wouldn't even see the point of needing it.  I would just access email, or my skydrive. 

THIS is from the Evernote site, describing the Evernote application.  Nothing about FREE or PAID here, or Offline notes.

1. Sync: Click to to manually sync your Evernote account. Evernote automatically syncs regularly, so using this button is optional. Sync ensures that everything in your Evernote account is available anytime and anywhere that you have access to Evernote, including on your phone, tablet, computer and on the Web.

It seems purposefully deceptive, actually.  And it's misleading, at best.

It's not advertised to anyone considering the free version. THAT is what I am referring to. This is the Google play store description:

"Evernote is an easy-to-use, free app that helps you remember everything across all of the devices you use. Stay organized, save your ideas and improve productivity. Evernote lets you take notes, capture photos, create to-do lists, record voice reminders--and makes these notes completely searchable, whether you are at home, at work, or on the go."

"On the go" to me, means NO INTERNET. I think it does to most people, frankly. If I have internet access everywhere, I wouldn't even see the point of needing it. I would just access email, or my skydrive.

It's misleading, at best.

Chessienote,

If you have a smartphone (Android, iPhone, etc.), you can use the Evernote app to look up your recipes while away from home by using your data plan. It will be free in that you will be using your phone's connectivity, but the mobile apps make Evernote accessible on the go. I use the mobile apps a lot because my iPad is wifi-only (just like the Nexus tablet, I believe). I don't always want to connect using the public wifi available in my grocery store. But if you do have a smartphone with the Evernote app installed, you can easily workaround not having the offline notes feature by using the app on your phone instead. Access anywhere is free in that the Evernote account is free. But, just like with many other apps, you need some sort of connectivity to keep it functioning as it should (free wifi, purchased wifi, or a data plan on your phone or tablet).

(One thing to consider for accessing recipes offline would be Dropbox, though. I personally use Dropbox for recipes. They allow you to star whatever you choose for offline use for free, whether it is a document, a picture, or a video. I'm sure that there are other good solutions, but Dropbox might be worth taking a look at for free offline storage. And I think it is available on the Nexus 7).

It's not advertised to anyone considering the free version.  THAT is what I am referring to.  This is the Google play store description:

"On the go" to me, means NO INTERNET.  I think it does to most people, frankly.  If I have internet access everywhere, I wouldn't even see the point of needing it.  I would just access email, or my skydrive. 

THIS is from the Evernote site, describing the Evernote application.  Nothing about FREE or PAID here, or Offline notes.

•  
  • Sync: Click to to manually sync your Evernote account. Evernote automatically syncs regularly, so using this button is optional. Sync ensures that everything in your Evernote account is available anytime and anywhere that you have access to Evernote, including on your phone, tablet, computer and on the Web.

Not only is it NOT deceptive or misleading, it's absolutely accurate.  "On the go" may mean "no internet" to you.  But the reality is "on the go" does not mean "without internet access".  There are a whole lot of other people with internet access on their smartphones, laptops, tablets, etc. I can understand you are frustrated.  But to try to blame Evernote & say they are misleading & deceptive is just plain wrong.  All it would have taken is a bit of due diligence on your part to look at the free vs premium features & you would have known.

It's not advertised to anyone considering the free version. THAT is what I am referring to. This is the Google play store description:

"On the go" to me, means NO INTERNET. I think it does to most people, frankly. If I have internet access everywhere, I wouldn't even see the point of needing it. I would just access email, or my skydrive.

It's misleading, at best.

Chessienote,

If you have a smartphone (Android, iPhone, etc.), you can use the Evernote app to look up your recipes while away from home by using your data plan. It will be free in that you will be using your phone's connectivity, but the mobile apps make Evernote accessible on the go. I use the mobile apps a lot because my iPad is wifi-only (just like the Nexus tablet, I believe). I don't always want to connect using the public wifi available in my grocery store. But if you do have a smartphone with the Evernote app installed, you can easily workaround not having the offline notes feature by using the app on your phone instead. Access anywhere is free in that the Evernote account is free. But, just like with many other apps, you need some sort of connectivity to keep it functioning as it should (free wifi, purchased wifi, or a data plan on your phone or tablet).

(One thing to consider for accessing recipes offline would be Dropbox, though. I personally use Dropbox for recipes. They allow you to star whatever you choose for offline use for free, whether it is a document, a picture, or a video. I'm sure that there are other good solutions, but Dropbox might be worth taking a look at for free offline storage. And I think it is available on the Nexus 7).

Yes I understand that everything is available with internet access,  I don't use a smartphone.  But thanks.  I will take a look at Dropbox.

To BurgersNFries, I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with your view.  It is NOT advertised as something you can NOT do, in the free version. If something is advertised as FREE, and that is what I am interested in, why in the heck would I go look at the Premium features?  I have never NOT been able to access my notes, in the past, so for whatever reason (caching I suppose) this has just now become an issue.  I have never, ever, seen this highlighted, advertised, or noted, in any of the Evernote site information.  Not a single time.  I realize that you love Evernote, but I feel that you are wrong about this.  We will have to leave it at that.

THIS is from the Evernote site, describing the Evernote application. Nothing about FREE or PAID here, or Offline notes.

• Sync: Click to to manually sync your Evernote account. Evernote automatically syncs regularly, so using this button is optional. Sync ensures that everything in your Evernote account is available anytime and anywhere that you have access to Evernote, including on your phone, tablet, computer and on the Web.
It seems purposefully deceptive, actually. And it's misleading, at best.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Sync is completely free whether you are a free or a premium user. Sync is what makes all of your notes accessible on all of your devices (tablets, smartphones, computers, etc). Offline notes, however, cost extra ($5 a month or $45 a year for a Premium subscription).

Synchronization, or sync, works by pushing your notes from Evernote's servers to all of your devices, and that is free for everybody. That is the on-the-go part (not locked on your computer). But in order to access your notes offline, Evernote uses the local storage on your device. That is what costs extra, not the sync. Hope that clears things up a bit, and I hope that you find something that works for you.

To BurgersNFries, I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with your view.  It is NOT advertised as something you can NOT do, in the free version. If something is advertised as FREE, and that is what I am interested in, why in the heck would I go look at the Premium features?  I have never NOT been able to access my notes, in the past, so for whatever reason (caching I suppose) this has just now become an issue.  I have never, ever, seen this highlighted, advertised, or noted, in any of the Evernote site information.  Not a single time.  I realize that you love Evernote, but I feel that you are wrong about this.  We will have to leave it at that.

Nor is it advertised as something you CAN do with the free version (accessing notes offline).  The reason one looks at the premium comparison is to see exactly that - what's different between the two versions. It's pretty clear. And everything advertised in the free version is true & accurate.   Next time do your due diligence. 

Good luck with finding an app that suits your needs.

1. Sync: Click to to manually sync your Evernote account. Evernote automatically syncs regularly, so using this button is optional. Sync ensures that everything in your Evernote account is available anytime and anywhere that you have access to Evernote, including on your phone, tablet, computer and on the Web.

I certainly understand your frustration and fell for it too. I would agree that if not misleading, it certainly is not crystal clear to the newcomer. I wondered the same and caught myself asking how it could keep everything on my tablet since my tablet storage could be far smaller than my notes database.

It doesn't.

As a fellow recent EN convert, I hope that you can still find value in the product and service. It is a limitation of EN as currently deployed. Honestly, it is a perfectly understandable limitation.

Marty

We tablet users are in a completely different ecosystem when it comes to apps because of our device's connectivity limitations (wifi-only for a lot of us). If access anywhere was understood to mean "offline" instead of apps available on mobile and tablet devices, then I can certainly see how one could view the description as misleading.

I'm sorry that you found the description confusing. I took the liberty of checking the Google Play and iTunes stores, and offline notebooks are listed as a Premium feature in an offset, starred category.

A common problem tablet users run into is that most apps require connectivity to run. It is inconvenient. But with tablets, we have to use some maneuvering in order to make them functional without a connection. Unfortunately, most of the apps on my iPad don't work at all without being connected to the Internet (about 95 percent of them don't work unless connected). Dropbox is an exception but I have only found a few others. Mostly, I have come to expect some connectivity required for an app to run, but it is just because my tablet does not have data-capabilities like some other tablets.

We tablet users are in a completely different ecosystem when it comes to apps because of our device's connectivity limitations (wifi-only for a lot of us). If access anywhere was understood to mean "offline" instead of apps available on mobile and tablet devices, then I can certainly see how one could view the description as misleading.

I'm sorry that you found the description confusing. I took the liberty of checking the Google Play and iTunes stores, and offline notebooks are listed as a Premium feature in an offset, starred category.

A common problem tablet users run into is that most apps require connectivity to run. It is inconvenient. But with tablets, we have to use some maneuvering in order to make them functional without a connection. Unfortunately, most of the apps on my iPad don't work at all without being connected to the Internet (about 95 percent of them don't work unless connected). Dropbox is an exception but I have only found a few others. Mostly, I have come to expect some connectivity required for an app to run, but it is just because my tablet does not have data-capabilities like some other tablets.

Thanks for checking, confirming & posting, Laura.  IMO, I think tablets (and probably laptops) are the "in between" device.  They are too big to function as a phone & the expense for "built in" internet connection is something most don't buy b/c you can do it another way for less money.  I know in my case, my husband & I both have iPads that are WIFI only.  So not only were the iPads cheaper, but neither one of us pays a monthly internet access fee for the iPads.  When he's not at the office or at home, but rather "on the go", my husband tethers his iPad to his Verizon Droid, & I tether mine (only occasionally, since I'm normally home when using my iPad) to my jailbroken iPhone. 

Thanks for checking, confirming & posting, Laura. IMO, I think tablets (and probably laptops) are the "in between" device. They are too big to function as a phone & the expense for "built in" internet connection is something most don't buy b/c you can do it another way for less money. I know in my case, my husband & I both have iPads that are WIFI only. So not only were the iPads cheaper, but neither one of us pays a monthly internet access fee for the iPads. When he's not at the office or at home, but rather "on the go", my husband tethers his iPad to his Verizon Droid, & I tether mine (only occasionally, since I'm normally home when using my iPad) to my jailbroken iPhone.

Yes, the "in between" is what gets me. I find that I have to actually plan ahead to use my iPad away from home because I am not tethered and have only a handful of apps that I can use offline. The wifi-only iPad is cheaper, which is why I got it, but it is limited in what it can do. My sister has a Kindle and I don't even think she has the option to tether it. If she could though, I suspect she would need an Android phone to do it.

THIS is from the Evernote site, describing the Evernote application. Nothing about FREE or PAID here, or Offline notes.

It seems purposefully deceptive, actually. And it's misleading, at best.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Sync is completely free whether you are a free or a premium user. Sync is what makes all of your notes accessible on all of your devices (tablets, smartphones, computers, etc). Offline notes, however, cost extra ($5 a month or $45 a year for a Premium subscription).

Synchronization, or sync, works by pushing your notes from Evernote's servers to all of your devices, and that is free for everybody. That is the on-the-go part (not locked on your computer). But in order to access your notes offline, Evernote uses the local storage on your device. That is what costs extra, not the sync. Hope that clears things up a bit, and I hope that you find something that works for you.

Yes, I understand exactly how it works.  But thanks.

Nor is it advertised as something you CAN do with the free version (accessing notes offline).  The reason one looks at the premium comparison is to see exactly that - what's different between the two versions. It's pretty clear. And everything advertised in the free version is true & accurate.   Next time do your due diligence. 

Good luck with finding an app that suits your needs.

It may not be, but if one has always been able to do in, for over a YEAR, and has had conversations with other people that have used it in the same manner, then I think it's a pretty reasonable expectation.  And I think that Evernote knows this.  "Due diligence" my foot. <_<

• Level 5*

It may not be, but if one has always been able to do in, for over a YEAR, and has had conversations with other people that have used it in the same manner, then I think it's a pretty reasonable expectation.

It's true that you can get the behavior of cached notes without being a premium subscriber, but that's just a side-effect of how caching on the device works -- Evernote caches notes as you access them when you're online, but may need to kick notes out of the cache if the OS requires it, and may not cache notes that you haven't accessed. It's nice that you got the effect of having a fully cached notes database, but only a premium subscription will guarantee that. That's been the case for some time, but I can't comment on whether or not you ought to have known that.

If you think that you were deceived by Evernote's marketing and informational materials, then that's not really something that we can solve here, unfortunately. And since you were using the free version, I'm not sure there's much in the way of remedy for you anyways.

Since this topic seems to have evolved into a back-and-forth conversation with respect to what someone's reasonable expectations of the free client might be, I'm proposing to lock the thread so that we can all move on in our lives. Feel free to let me know if you (or anyone else disagrees) -- I'm not out to censor anyone, just to see if I can steer forum conversation away from what seems to be a bit of a dead end.

• 1 year later...

I'm disappointed you're a moderator. I'm sure you're a lovely person, yet in my forum searches this morning I've run across three different threads where you provided curt, unhelpful responses to people out of sync with what they were asking for.

In this case, you tell the OP to go look it up instead of sharing the info, or even easier copying and pasting the information, or even laziest of all pasting the link to the page.

Yet in your evangelism and defensiveness you're willing to take the time to go get the URL on premuim policies for the OP to prove your point...

You and I have very different ideas about what beign a moderator - or even bothering to post in a thread in the first place - is all about. Maybe just take thirty seconds to post a helpful link next time and avoid the disagreements I've now seen you engaged in in three different threads.

Matthew

In this case, you tell the OP to go look it up instead of sharing the info, or even easier copying and pasting the information, or even laziest of all pasting the link to the page.

To be fair, the same could be said about the OP....

Anyway, I don't know what your post contributes to this discussion. Do you have any insight into the topic at hand?

I'm disappointed you're a moderator. I'm sure you're a lovely person, yet in my forum searches this morning I've run across three different threads where you provided curt, unhelpful responses to people out of sync with what they were asking for.

Yet in your evangelism and defensiveness you're willing to take the time to go get the URL on premuim policies for the OP to prove your point...

You and I have very different ideas about what beign a moderator - or even bothering to post in a thread in the first place - is all about. Maybe just take thirty seconds to post a helpful link next time and avoid the disagreements I've now seen you engaged in in three different threads.

Matthew

I have posted same/similar replies on countless occasions and get tired of doing that...which is why I now often say to use the search function, rather than re-re -repost the same information. (And sometimes, it's often time consuming b/c I like to give detailed replies.). . IMO, it's downright RUDE to join a board & ask a question without first looking to see if it's been addressed already. You're pretty much saying that your time is more important than my time. And it is not.

Matthew

BTW, FYI, in the post you quoted, I actually didn't tell them to search and I DID post a link. Maybe you should have proof read your post, rather than condemning me for mine.  Just a thought.

(Maybe you should have used the search function to find the right post to quote...???)

• Level 5*

Matthew

You can feel free to have different ideas about the role of a moderator, but your disappointment is misplaced (not to mention that you are factually incorrect about what she did here). She's helped thousands of people in these forums use Evernote better, as a volunteer. I daresay that that fits into what Evernote would want from its moderators and evangelists.

But hey, you think differently? Great, because now you have the opportunity to do more than just complain on the Evernote forums (without addressing the actual topic). Because yes, you too can be a moderator

Archived