Put "Find in Evernote" Back at TOP level of menu bar item

robfol

Idea

The one single menu command that I use dozens of time a day has been moved DOWN and out of sight in the menu bar item, menu!

This is crazy! 

"Find in Evernote" should be the FIRST action visible at top level.

Why hide it in prefs?

Do the devs actualy use the programme on a daily basis?

Please reinstate this important function to where it belongs, the key commands are not a substitute. 

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

The one single menu command that I use dozens of time a day has been moved DOWN and out of sight in the menu bar item, menu!

This is crazy! 

"Find in Evernote" should be the FIRST action visible at top level.

Why hide it in prefs?

Do the devs actualy use the programme on a daily basis?

Please reinstate this important function to where it belongs, the key commands are not a substitute. 

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I am not saying that the current three-click method of arriving at the command could not be improved in the menu, but no matter what Evernote developers do to improve it, isn't the one-click keyboard shortcut command (CTRL + CMD + E) a much more efficient way to do it for someone who uses it dozens of times each day? Out of curiosity, I'd be interested to hear why you prefer to click through the menu.

Thanks for feedback and welcome!

I like rambling with the mouse for actions and have a large number of text shortcuts configured as command shortcuts

So when I am writing, I use the keyboard and when navigating I use the mouse

Having the shortcut is fine, but burying everyday functions is IMHO a mistake, especially when there is tons of room in the drop down panel

Cheers Robert

• Level 5*

Thanks for feedback and welcome!

I like rambling with the mouse for actions and have a large number of text shortcuts configured as command shortcuts

So when I am writing, I use the keyboard and when navigating I use the mouse

Having the shortcut is fine, but burying everyday functions is IMHO a mistake, especially when there is tons of room in the drop down panel

Cheers Robert

I see what you are saying. As this is the first iteration of the new quick-note function, the developers are probably continuing to tweak things, so I am sure that your feedback on it is appreciated.

I would just like to second this idea. 

The quicknotes aren't useful to me as they stand.  As other users have mentioned elsewhere, I would like to be able to at least set a title and folder for the quicknotes.  Instead, I have to make a note, then dig down into my default notebook and edit the notes again.  So back to using the full note editor.  

But Find in Evernote (actually, what I usually do is Browse in Evernote) is a more common action for me.  My preferred functionality would be left clicking to get an (enhanced) quicknote, and right clicking to get the old menu.  Though I'd prefer Find and New Note to be at the top of those menus, rather than down inside.  

Looking forward to further iterations on the design.

• Level 5*

I would just like to second this idea. 

The quicknotes aren't useful to me as they stand.  As other users have mentioned elsewhere, I would like to be able to at least set a title and folder for the quicknotes.  Instead, I have to make a note, then dig down into my default notebook and edit the notes again.  So back to using the full note editor.  

But Find in Evernote (actually, what I usually do is Browse in Evernote) is a more common action for me.  My preferred functionality would be left clicking to get an (enhanced) quicknote, and right clicking to get the old menu.  Though I'd prefer Find and New Note to be at the top of those menus, rather than down inside.  

Looking forward to further iterations on the design.

Just to clarify this for users who are unfamiliar with the new feature, the first line of a quick note becomes the title of the note, so if you can accept that doubling of information, then you don't have to worry about not having the ability to add a title separately.

Of course, if you don't want the content doubled, then you will have to go into your notes and edit them to remove the first line of the note.

To create a "New Note" via the menu bar, it was a two click process.  I really liked having this as it allowed me to create a new note from scratch instantly and with minimal action.  When an important call came in or a thought came up, I had a new note window in front of me ready to go.

Now to create a "New Note" via the menu bar, I have to start entering a note, save that note, re-open the entire Evernote window, and then (potentially based on how you have the views set up) open that same note again to take the "name duplication" away, then save the note again?

I know everyones "workflow" is different but I am somehow struggling to see how this is more efficient than the simple "menu" that was previously presented in the menu bar?

Curious to see everyones thoughts on this (and by all means call me out if I missed something).

• Level 5*

To create a "New Note" via the menu bar, it was a two click process.  I really liked having this as it allowed me to create a new note from scratch instantly and with minimal action.  When an important call came in or a thought came up, I had a new note window in front of me ready to go.

Now to create a "New Note" via the menu bar, I have to start entering a note, save that note, re-open the entire Evernote window, and then (potentially based on how you have the views set up) open that same note again to take the "name duplication" away, then save the note again?

I know everyones "workflow" is different but I am somehow struggling to see how this is more efficient than the simple "menu" that was previously presented in the menu bar?

Curious to see everyones thoughts on this (and by all means call me out if I missed something).

I like options and customizability. The current quick note feature is great... for some people, but not so great for others. Why not give us an option in preferences to be able to enter titles, tags, etc.? I am not sure why we all need to use the exact same interface for our wildly different workflows, but that is the way that Evernote tends to design things.

Ideally, Evernote would design these simple and clean interfaces as the default, but empower users (making them "power users"?) to tweak things as necessary for their particular needs.

I like options and customizability. The current quick note feature is great... for some people, but not so great for others. Why not give us an option in preferences to be able to enter titles, tags, etc.? I am not sure why we all need to use the exact same interface for our wildly different workflows, but that is the way that Evernote tends to design things.

Ideally, Evernote would design these simple and clean interfaces as the default, but empower users (making them "power users"?) to tweak things as necessary for their particular needs.

Good idea. I also like to have options.  If they made this more of a framework from which each user could build off of that would be cool.  Probably would be no small feat either. Even if I could go to say Preferences and check the box for items I want to see/dont want to see if QuickNote, that would be awesome.

Hi,

I'd like to second this request.

My standard way into evernote on my mac (which I love) is via the menubar icon, followed by the tools cog followed by find in evernote. It drives me crzy.

I'd be totally happy if there was a search/magnifying glass icon next to the 'clip full screen' icon up there. Yes, I know it is a bit of a mixed metaphor putting a search function next to a bunch of create functions, so perhaps on the opposite corner to the tools cog.

please!

thanks for a great product.

Peter

PS: I joined these forums specifically and entirely to make this request. That's how much I care about it :-)

Hi,

I'd like to second this request.

My standard way into evernote on my mac (which I love) is via the menubar icon, followed by the tools cog followed by find in evernote. It drives me crzy.

I'd be totally happy if there was a search/magnifying glass icon next to the 'clip full screen' icon up there. Yes, I know it is a bit of a mixed metaphor putting a search function next to a bunch of create functions, so perhaps on the opposite corner to the tools cog.

please!

thanks for a great product.

Peter

PS: I joined these forums specifically and entirely to make this request. That's how much I care about it :-)

Did you know you can search for Evernote notes using Spotlight on the Mac? That might offer a "way into" Evernote that is similar to what you are requesting. 

• Level 5*

There's also a hot key combo that will bring Evernote up from the Dock if you have it minimised and put the focus in the search box. I can't remember what the default is (i've changed mine) but you can find it in Preferences in the Shorcuts tab.

Archived