(Archived) Don't Panic!

• Level 5*

OK this is weird.  I just had cause to try and start a new note from the widget.  That's not something I do - I keep opening Evernote first,  then starting a new note,  which takes a little longer,  so I was quite proud for remembering to use the "+" tag on my home pagewidget for a change.

A new note window opened immediately - really good!  But I had no keyboard to enter details.

In fact as I tapped around it appeared that nothing worked - there was no keyboard, no option to move the cursor, no response to the menu key..

OK so I hit the sleep key to switch off the screen,  then tried the home/ menu key again.  Black screen,  no reaction.  Try the sleep key - that's also the power off button,  but I was tapping not holding - no reaction.

OK hold the sleep key to shut things down.  No closedown menu - in fact I got a rebooting screen - the phone had crashed completely.

Things woke up - but the Evernote widget,  as I went cautiously back to it says "you need Evernote for this to work" ????

Left the phone for a while to finish its reboot - but the widget still won't connect me to Evernote.  And I'm missing a couple of other icons from my home screen.

OK so I reload Evernote from Play and it installs - instant access to my notes! (Phew)

But I'm still missing some icons.  By now I've written the note on paper - I'll scan it later!

At this point let me say I have no reason to suspect this is connected with Evernote or the latest (post reset) Android app.  This could just be nature's way of telling me to concentrate harder when I open an app.

But still.  Evernote unloaded, icons trashed..

That was weird.

• Evernote Expert

OK this is weird.  I just had cause to try and start a new note from the widget.  That's not something I do - I keep opening Evernote first,  then starting a new note,  which takes a little longer,  so I was quite proud for remembering to use the "+" tag on my home pagewidget for a change.

A new note window opened immediately - really good!  But I had no keyboard to enter details.

In fact as I tapped around it appeared that nothing worked - there was no keyboard, no option to move the cursor, no response to the menu key..

OK so I hit the sleep key to switch off the screen,  then tried the home/ menu key again.  Black screen,  no reaction.  Try the sleep key - that's also the power off button,  but I was tapping not holding - no reaction.

OK hold the sleep key to shut things down.  No closedown menu - in fact I got a rebooting screen - the phone had crashed completely.

Things woke up - but the Evernote widget,  as I went cautiously back to it says "you need Evernote for this to work" ????

Left the phone for a while to finish its reboot - but the widget still won't connect me to Evernote.  And I'm missing a couple of other icons from my home screen.

OK so I reload Evernote from Play and it installs - instant access to my notes! (Phew)

But I'm still missing some icons.  By now I've written the note on paper - I'll scan it later!

At this point let me say I have no reason to suspect this is connected with Evernote or the latest (post reset) Android app.  This could just be nature's way of telling me to concentrate harder when I open an app.

But still.  Evernote unloaded, icons trashed..

That was weird.

Which client did you use and was there some recent update in that client?

• Level 5*

I have the latest Android client 4.5.6.1 public running on ICS 4.0.4.  It was updated in the Big Fuss at the beginning of the month,  and I saw an "updating.." notice a few days ago.  The widget is an old installation.  I use the GO Launcher rather than the ICS home screen.  Battery at the time was around 50%.

I mentioned above I lost "a couple of other icons" - turned out about 20 apps - several games,  a couple of camera apps and some others - all turned up missing. 

I recovered them via Play,  and where it matters I still have history information (I was nearly all the way through Angry Birds Rio!).  The phone is slowly coming back to what passes for normal around here.

Can't point the finger at any specific cause - clearly it was a monumental crash,  but sometimes bad things happen for no reason.  In the same day I also had two BSODs - one laptop and one netbook,  both running different versions of Windows.

Was getting wary of scratching my own head in case I crashed too...

Archived