Evernote Application fails to login!

eddwahd

Idea

Using Evernote 5.0.7 on Mac OSX 10.6.8

One day, my Mac crashed and I had to force shut down. When I turned it on again, evernote has never been the same since!

At first, I couldn't even open evernote because it gave me the error message that it "can't be opened because it may be damaged or incomplete". I reinstalled it a few times and then when I opened the evernote application, the thumbnail wouldn't even show up!

So I ran my mac in safemode and then restarted. Then I reinstalled evernote several times until somehow it opened. Except now when I type in my login account, nothing happens and I can't open a notebook on my evernote Mac application. I'm sure I'm not typing in the password incorrectly because I've clearly logged into Evernote online.

Also, it looks like the "signing in" thing is spinning, and it asks me if I want to give it my location. But then, nothing else happens!

Thanks!

Ed

8 replies to this idea

I really need help. I can't use evernote on my desktop and it's hurting my productivity severely.

I've linked a TIFF showing what I am saying:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s51/sh/44697d1a-1a14-45e3-93d5-7016a846398c/1ca151a486342595ab531ae4f8f4fc64

Basically, I can only use evernote online, but not on my desktop. After I enter my login information on my evernote desktop, absolutely nothing happens!

Using Evernote 5.0.7 on Mac OSX 10.6.8

One day, my Mac crashed and I had to force shut down. When I turned it on again, evernote has never been the same since!

At first, I couldn't even open evernote because it gave me the error message that it "can't be opened because it may be damaged or incomplete". I reinstalled it a few times and then when I opened the evernote application, the thumbnail wouldn't even show up!

So I ran my mac in safemode and then restarted. Then I reinstalled evernote several times until somehow it opened. Except now when I type in my login account, nothing happens and I can't open a notebook on my evernote Mac application. I'm sure I'm not typing in the password incorrectly because I've clearly logged into Evernote online.

Also, it looks like the "signing in" thing is spinning, and it asks me if I want to give it my location. But then, nothing else happens!

Thanks!

Ed

A Mac crashed...???  :P   (Sorry, couldn't resist.)  Anyway, it sounds like your local database got corrupted when the computer crashed.  You probably need to rebuild it by either redownloading things from the EN servers or restoring from a backup of the database before it got corrupted.  But this is just a guess.  I'm not Mac, so I can't be more specific.  You can also submit a support ticket.  (See my sig.)

Problem Solved!

I took BurgerNFries' advice and asked Evernote support for help, and together the solution is as follows. Except during the re-syncing with the Evernote servers, it froze at 5.1MB for some time (5-30 minutes?). I just left my computer to work out this issue.

Dear Valued Customer,

(If you are unable to open Evernote at all, you may skip to step 1.)

If you have some important Local Only or unsynced notes, be sure to read the directions at the end of this email to safeguard your information. Otherwise please try the following:

Please try moving your Evernote database directory so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

1. Your database is in a hidden directory. You can access it by opening the Finder, then selecting "Go" from the top menu and hitting the "Option" key. Once you have done that, you'll see the "Library" folder pop up.
  2. Select it.
  3. Then, go to:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/ and move the "your username" directory to another place.
  4. Once you've done that, please *also* go to:
    ~Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/ and move the "your username" directory to another place.
    Note: You may not have a directory in both places. Please remove whichever ones you *do* have, and make sure that you no longer have either before moving forward.
  5. Then, try opening Evernote again. All of your notes from the service will now synchronize and create a new local database.

*If you do have any Local Only notebooks, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to theNote List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

Let us know how this works for you.

Ken

I am having the same problem described above. I have tried following these directions, but it has not resolved the problem for me.  I am running Mavericks on a Macbook Pro.  I can log in on the website without a problem, but the desktop app alerts me to, "Please check your Internet connection or try again later." Then it says Incorrect username or password below the form fields.  I have installed the latest version of the app.

Thanks,

Adrian

I am having the same problem described above. I have tried following these directions, but it has not resolved the problem for me.  I am running Mavericks on a Macbook Pro.  I can log in on the website without a problem, but the desktop app alerts me to, "Please check your Internet connection or try again later." Then it says Incorrect username or password below the form fields.  I have installed the latest version of the app.

Thanks,

Adrian

Did you submit a support ticket as suggested above?

Archived