(Archived) Evernote 5.0.7 For Mac

Jackolicious

Idea

43 replies to this idea

I have two issues with 5.0.7...

one

on my mac, i created a short list with checkmarks via the checkmark button.

This note would not sync successfully to either the web or down to my ipad/iphone. just the header and a blank note.

I deleted the checkmarks on my mac version and then it would sync as just a list of words.

So i created a NEW note on my phone with checkmarks, synced, added a few more on my mac, and now it won't sync back up. Says it syncs, but the new additions aren't showing up.

Also the left column preview is wrong, reflects the old information, not the updated items i just wrote.

two

Really slow. Everytime i do something it hangs for about 30 seconds. Type a word in the list, hit enter, hangs. click save, hangs (then, hopefully saved). Rainbow spinning wheel. It's so i can't even use it.

Evernote via MacApp store. OSX 10.8.2

post-131552-0-59556400-1366205040_thumb.

Hi all,

I am having some troubles with the latest version of Evernote.

I use a ScanSnap (Fujitsu) scanner which has a 'Scan to Evernote' feature. It's been working perfectly until a couple of days ago when it stopped working completely. Once the scanning is completed (which seems to be fine), rather than loading the scanned file into Evernote, it now always comes up with the following message instead:

"Failed to start up Evernote for Mac. Make sure the selected application is installed correctly."  (http://monosnap.com/image/Uvp9tMT4iKd358iBQKuBwbe7W)

The frustrating thing is - once I dismiss that message - Evernote then loads (although it doesn't load the scanned document in like it should do - I have to drop that in manually).

I have exactly this problem and it is EXTREMELY aggravating. Thinking of going to alternative software or scanner.

I am using:

Macbook Pro 15" Retina

OSX  10.8.3

Scansnap  S1100

Scansnap Manager Ver. 3.2 L63

Evernote Ver. 5.0.6 (400960)

This is March 19, 2013 and people have been talking about this problem since last summer? Will you guys quit sitting on your hands and figure it out?

OK, here's an odd note. After posting the above, I immediately went back to Scansnap and set it to

Scan to Evernote (Note) and did 1 scan that went directly into Evernote.

Then I changed the setting back to Scan to Evernote (Document) and it correctly scanned the document and OCR'd it and put it in Evernote.

Go figure.

Well... that was a waste of time!

Dear Valued Customer,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately we didn't create the integration, it was made by Fujitsu. You will need to contact them for assistance with their software. You can scan to your computer and drag and drop the files into a notebook to create a new note until you hear back from them.

Thanks,

Larry 

Hi all,

I use a ScanSnap (Fujitsu) scanner which has a 'Scan to Evernote' feature. It's been working perfectly until a couple of days ago when it stopped working completely. Once the scanning is completed (which seems to be fine), rather than loading the scanned file into Evernote, it now always comes up with the following message instead:

"Failed to start up Evernote for Mac. Make sure the selected application is installed correctly."  (http://monosnap.com/image/Uvp9tMT4iKd358iBQKuBwbe7W)

The frustrating thing is - once I dismiss that message - Evernote then loads (although it doesn't load the scanned document in like it should do - I have to drop that in manually).

I've uploaded the Scansnap software to the latest version and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app store version but the problem persists. I then uninstalled and tried the version from your site and that actually worked as usual. However, that was 5.0.6 and when I ran it I was prompted to update - as soon as I did so the scanner software stopped working again.

Anyway I was just wondering what it is that has changed that could stop it being able to locate Evernote? I realise that you could argue that it's Fujitsu's job to update their drivers but - given that it has been working - I just wondered whether it was an intentional or accidental system change?

Many thanks,

Joe

• Level 5*

Jack - thanks, I just have.

Grumpy - 3.2 L63 (dated 24/12/2012) and Evernote 5.0.7

Hmmmm how come my version number is so weird compared to yours!?

What is your Scansnap model number?

s1300i

Hi Joe. My guess is that Fujitsu has stopped supporting this product. I have the S300 (an earlier iteration), and I cannot remember when they last updated their drivers (technically, I am only supposed to be able to use it with Windows, but a hack allows me to use it on my Mac as well).

You could try and download the most recent ScanSnap Manager (http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/computing/peripheral/scanners/software/ix500.html). Will it work? I don't know, but if it does, then the scan to Evernote problem might be fixed. If it doesn't work, you can just uninstall, download the most recently updated version for your scanner, and no harm is done. 

Still a very bad User Interface. Not that I expected any big change with a minor number update, but since I check back with Evernote now and then to see if any improvements are made I thought I'd give the feedback that I still find it very bad.

The main problem is that it is very difficult to get any sort of overview of ones notes, and that navigating between notebooks is very irritating. The sidebar helps, but it has many problems. For example, in the Notebook list: the list cannot be navigated with the keyboard, opening a stack requires one to click a tiny little triangle, one cannot create a notebook in that list but instead have to navigate to the Notebooks screen were one cannot see the notes... sigh...

Why not just make the notebook list in sidebar a "folder type view" that can be navigated using the keyboard and that includes all functionality from the Notebooks screen (add/remove notebooks, create stacks, etc)?

I'm sad to say that Evernote version 5 still is not for me. If I could go back to version 4, I'd still be using this product as a premium member.

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask the following question but here goes... Is there a way to either copy or move a JPG image or PDF from one note to another in the Mac client. I had expected this to be simple but spent about 20 minutes trying to figure it out then was able to do it in 2 minutes in the browser version. I'm not sure if I just didn't stumble upon the correct keyboard shortcut or the right mouse click sequence but I was unable to complete this simple task in the Mac client. 

• Level 5*

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask the following question but here goes... Is there a way to either copy or move a JPG image or PDF from one note to another in the Mac client. I had expected this to be simple but spent about 20 minutes trying to figure it out then was able to do it in 2 minutes in the browser version. I'm not sure if I just didn't stumble upon the correct keyboard shortcut or the right mouse click sequence but I was unable to complete this simple task in the Mac client.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. It should work just like it does in any program -- right-click, copy, and then paste into the note you want. If this doesn't work, could you "share" the note (by private message if you'd like) and I'll video the process for you.

Hey all!

We've just updated Evernote for Mac with some great fixes including some Quick Note updates.

http://evernote.com/evernote/index.php?file=EvernoteMac

Let us know what you think!

Hi, ask a weird question....wanna to update Evernote for apple store from my home mac, but it ask me to login another stranger's email account to update. How should I do?

Bring up Launchpad, hold down option and click the "X" button that appears to the left of the Evernote icon. Then, sign out of the App Store on your Mac and sign in with the correct account. Then re-download Evernote to your Mac.

If you need help signing in and out of the Mac App Store, see this tech note: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11499?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of additional assistance.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. It should work just like it does in any program -- right-click, copy, and then paste into the note you want. If this doesn't work, could you "share" the note (by private message if you'd like) and I'll video the process for you.

Thank you, that is what I thought as well but it doesn't seem to be working, may be operator error..... I was able to use the browser version of Evernote and get done what I needed to do so when I have some time to experiment I may try and figure out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for your help.

• Level 5*

Thank you, that is what I thought as well but it doesn't seem to be working, may be operator error..... I was able to use the browser version of Evernote and get done what I needed to do so when I have some time to experiment I may try and figure out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for your help.

Glad I could help. It's even better that you were able to do what you needed. 

Still no "Configure the Toolbar" ability - it disappeared with v5 and hasn't come back.  Until that returns, I'm sticking with v3.3

I want to be able to put things like the Print button on the toolbar.  And drag stuff around to where I want it - not where Evernote tells me I have to have it.

For me, all that other stuff that causes so much angst in the sidebar is just noise, as I don't use it much.  But a configurable toolbar?  I need it.  It's gone, and I have no idea WHY they took it away (isn't that an Apple standard anyway - to have a configurable toolbar?).

Still very happy with v3.3

Evernote 5.0.7 still steals focus under certain conditions. When I have a note open in a separate window in my desktop while the full Evernote client is fullscreen, the EN client will steal focus from the individual note. It happens intermittently and without warning. 

BUG: it is impossible to disable "Check spelling while typing" permanently in the application. Choosing it under edit -> Spelling and Grammar makes no difference; the checkmark is always next to it and never goes away. This is terrifically annoying, and evidently a very old bug. Could you finally fix it please? 

Thanks! :)

A few bugs from what I can see:

1. I can't get the advanced search feature for "todo" to work.  I purposely set up some checkboxes next to some items and left a few ones checked and left others alone.  I typed "todo:*" in the search bar and nothing appears

2. I use the desktop version extensively.  When I look up the same notes on the web version, it only shows me the titles of the notes but none of the content inside of it.

Have same issue with mine, EN 5.07 for Mac, latest ScanSnap drivers, accordingly to the sw update and EV crash every time I scan in a document forcing a rescan of 3000 notes, can I go back to previous version or should I skip the import into EV for the time being until issue is resolved?TIA

• Level 5*

Hey all!

We've just updated Evernote for Mac with some great fixes including some Quick Note updates.

Hi. Good job with the update. I can confirm that Japanese works as expected in the quick note. This will be a big help!

I have come across some minor bugs. Screenshots are at: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/e6a0c69f-fa8c-46fc-b09d-9e0261649440/bac4cabfd92d90bdc3b25c3a14885ab2

【1】 BUG: NOTE HISTORY VIEW BROKEN

* The scroll bar on the bottom right hangs off the screen and the note content does not quite fit into the box.

【2】 BUG: ALL NOTES

* If you right-click on the bar between All Notes and the first note, you get a dialog box with options that do not work (Share).

【3】 BUG: NOTE LINKS

* Selecting notes in the center column and dragging them into a note open in another window produces one long link in blue rather than many note links in green.

WOW! Some "great" fixes. Really looking forward to those!

I think you've all really lost the plot at EN if you now think that fixes are "great".

Having a stable and well-tested software upgrade program, that introduces well-researched, useful and end-user tested features that are not full of bugs is not even "great" - it's just what's to be expected. But we don't even have that for sure.

Sad.

Hey all!

Hi. Good job with the update. I can confirm that Japanese works as expected in the quick note. This will be a big help!

I have come across some minor bugs. Screenshots are at: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/e6a0c69f-fa8c-46fc-b09d-9e0261649440/bac4cabfd92d90bdc3b25c3a14885ab2

【1】 BUG: NOTE HISTORY VIEW BROKEN

* The scroll bar on the bottom right hangs off the screen and the note content does not quite fit into the box.

【2】 BUG: ALL NOTES

* If you right-click on the bar between All Notes and the first note, you get a dialog box with options that do not work (Share).

【3】 BUG: NOTE LINKS

* Selecting notes in the center column and dragging them into a note open in another window produces one long link in blue rather than many note links in green.

I'm having the same problems as GM apart from note history, that's working fine in mine.

Hi all,

I've uploaded the Scansnap software to the latest version and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app store version but the problem persists. I then uninstalled and tried the version from your site and that actually worked as usual. However, that was 5.0.6 and when I ran it I was prompted to update - as soon as I did so the scanner software stopped working again.

Anyway I was just wondering what it is that has changed that could stop it being able to locate Evernote? I realise that you could argue that it's Fujitsu's job to update their drivers but - given that it has been working - I just wondered whether it was an intentional or accidental system change?

Many thanks,

Joe

• Level 5*

Hi all,

Many thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe. What are your version numbers?

Using Scansnap Manager 6.0 L14 with the Scansnap ix500 I have no problem scanning to Evernote with the newest version of the software, Version 5.0.7 (400995).

• Level 5*

I think its garbage. This may be the wrong venue but does anyone know when onenote for mac coming out?

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear that you don't like the app. As you can imagine, "garbage" isn't the kind of feedback that really helps the developers improve the product. If you could offer some specifics, I am sure we'd all like to hear.

As for a OneNote release date for Mac (if they are even developing it), I doubt anyone here knows the inner workings of Microsoft's development teams, and it is even less likely that they could reveal it here. If you want to use OneNote (or any other Microsoft product), you can install Parallels + Microsoft Windows on your Mac.

Good luck with whatever software solution you decide to use.

Jack —

I can't get the menu bar to display the default "type here" message, nor do any of the buttons work in it. I've tried the suggestions in the release version thread (outside of the beta area), no dice.

I can live without it, just putting my 2¢ in.

• Level 5*

Have same issue with mine, EN 5.07 for Mac, latest ScanSnap drivers, accordingly to the sw update and EV crash every time I scan in a document forcing a rescan of 3000 notes, can I go back to previous version or should I skip the import into EV for the time being until issue is resolved?TIA

Could you give us your Scansnap model number, Scansnap manager version number, the Evernote version number, and Mac OS version number you are using? I ask, because as I posted above, Scansnap is working fine for me. This suggests the possibility that the problem is limited to certain models / drivers, and knowing this might lead more quickly to a solution (by Evernote or Scansnap).

• Level 5*

Hmm, well I was loving the update until it stopped working. I was copy-pasting a lot of chunks of text into notes using the Quick Note feature when the application crashed. No biggie, I thought, and opened it again. Crash dialog box, filled in what I was doing, hit Send. Crash. Opened Evernote, crash dialog box, Cancel. Crash. Over and over. I can no longer get the application to work. Trashed all files, reinstalled. Nothing. Trashed all files again, rebooted, reinstalled. Crash. I can't get the latest version to work at all anymore. It almost feels as if the Crash Reporter is causing the crash, because the app will load but freeze, I'll get the spinning beach ball, and then crash - and I was doing just fine until Evernote crashed the first time. I'd had no previous problems.

My ticket # is 16051-272777. The sooner I can get a fix, the better - I've had to roll back to the App Store version, which is fine, but I'd sadly fallen in love with the latest implementation of Quick Note...

Video with the problem: http://chir.me/HkRO ←you have to download, for some reason the Play doesn't work... at least not for me...

• Level 5*

I think its garbage. This may be the wrong venue but does anyone know when onenote for mac coming out?

bostonmack and I had a nice exchange by pm, and he kindly consented to have it posted here. I hope this feedback is of use to the developers and other users.

----------

bostonmack:

To answer your question more specifically I have three problems. The

inability to create stacks more than one level deep. The inability to

right click send "send to Evernote as new note" in any application

without using third party plug-ins. The general level of bugginess in

the new software. The first two issues seem like basic functions that

would be incredibly easy to integrate so why not? Why would you not

allow a user to create a notebook within a notebook? It almost seems

counterintuitive to not allow notebook stacks more than one level deep.

Why can't I select text in any other application, and have the option of

right clicking "create new note"? I study computer science and cyberlaw

at Umass but I struggle with dyslexia which makes me a horrible note

taker and incredibly unorganized. One note with has been a godsend

however the issues I've been having with windows os running on my mac

with parallels are making it harder to justify sticking with the

software. I was so excited to see the the new features in Evernote 5.0

mac but when I got my hands on the software the excitement turned into

extreme frustration. Thanks again for your advice. You do have a great

piece of software its just not for me.

----------

grumpymonkey:

1) I doubt multiple levels of notebooks will be coming. It actually

may have scalability issues, especially as you roll this out to millions

of people, but more importantly, I think the developers decided early

on that they would do something different. It works for me, but I can

certainly see why it wouldn't work for everyone. I would urge you to

consider a combination of notebooks and tags for organization (see my

website for my strategy), but frankly speaking, organization is a very

personal thing, and it just may not be for you. In addition, as you

said, you have dyslexia, and that may also need some workarounds. If you

wouldn't mind sharing more about the challenges you face, and some of

the things that have helped you overcome them (for example, more

color-coded organization, etc.), that might put these features on the

developers' radar.

(2) I think Evernote already has this, right? I guess I am not

entirely clear about what you want to do with "send to Evernote." For

example, in Pages I press CMD + P > select Print to Evernote, and I

am done. It is a two click step process. It doesn't seem like a deal

breaker to me not to have just one click, because the amount of time

(maybe less than 2 seconds) is not so much.

(3) I think Evernote already has this, right? CMD + C to copy, and

OPTION + CMD + V to paste into Evernote (creating a new note in the

process).

----------

bostonmack:

1. Understandable, I just wish they could have the functionality of

tags in addition to the more the traditional stackable folders. Its hard

to explain but basically I generally struggle to keep my notes and

files in order and organized in a way that I can access them. Picture

you have 10,000 files in a folder and you're not exactly sure what

you're looking for but you know its there. Now picture trying to access

and edit these files on demand in a fast paced environment. Search and

tags alone don't cut it. I need a broad visual view everything which can

be easily narrowed so I can find things which I know are there put cant

put a name to. Ive found that for me the most effective method to

organize is with stackable folders in combination with a good search

engine and tags. If I pre-organize my stackable folders I can view my

files in more manageable sizes and I can easily brows through them if I

don't know what I'm looking for. When I have a new file I know where to

place it because ive probably already created at least one subfolder for

that particular material. Having all the folders visually available to

me makes it that much easier. In onenote for instance I would have an

academics folder with a subfolder for school studies which contains

subfolders for classes which contain folders for notes, syllabus,

research, papers, homework, etc. I would set this up prior to starting

the academic school year. When making a new file all I would have to do

is place it in the appropriate folder. I would do the same for

everything other digital file. It just seemed to work and it didn't take

much effort. The fact that i could add tags and search for text was the

icing on the cake. For research and note taking I could also highlight

text or images from any source and with one click send it to the

appropriate file (or create a new file) in the appropriate subfolder of

my choosing. Onenote would also automatically cite the source and make

it available for automated bibliography creation. 

2. I really want the ability to be able to highlight the text/images I

want within a file and be able to send it directly to a subfolder or be

able to instantly tag it with one right click.

3. This is a great feature but Id also like to see it available in

right click form. I would also like to be able to tag and place notes in

a folder without having to leave the screen I'm looking at. Its just

annoying having to go back and forth when say im doing a research paper

and clipping online sources or I want to send a part of an email to a

new note in a particular folder. Id like to be able to send text to a

previous note or create a new note with a right click, tag it, and

continue reading without being interrupted by a forced screen change. I

know its picky but it makes it so much easier for me. Also why not have a

comand to copy and paste to every note in one go. say OPTION + CMD + E for instance would send selected text to a new note.

4. The safari extension doesn't populate the desktop app but rather

the web app...which is much slower. There were also many times where it

just didn't work at all. it just creates a new note but doesn't copy any

of the text.

@GrumpyMonkey: Thank you for taking the time to gather more information on the issue here is my current configuration:

MacBook Pro Retina 15.4 running OS X 10.8.2

Evernote for Mac version 5.0.7 (400995)

ScanSnap Manager 3.2 L63

ScanSnap S1500M

hope this would help, also once I tried to scan a document into Evernote it crash with "illegal operation" and reimport all the notes, hope for a prompt resolution meanwhile I can work around with batch scanning and manual import. Thanks

• Level 5*

Well, I managed to get back up and running by using AppDelete to nuke everything... but perhaps there's a bug with the crash reporter and/or the Quick Note? I was in another application copying data out and creating multiple notes in a short amount of time. Only one of the notes ever ended up in my !Inbox (I'd done three before it crashed).

Even when using the App Store version, then downloading from the Evernote site and replacing, it still said "Evernote crashed the last time you used it" blah blah blah. Only using AppDelete was I able to get back to the current version.

Here's a note summarizing the whole process.

I'm just glad that's over!

The new menu-bar note creation would be great IF you could directly specify the title and also change the Notebook if you need to.

As it is, it's more iOS-ification of what was a great app.  I'd rather a "New note..." menu item like there used to be.  Thumbs-down to this release unfortunately. 

• Level 5*

The new menu-bar note creation would be great IF you could directly specify the title and also change the Notebook if you need to.

As it is, it's more iOS-ification of what was a great app.  I'd rather a "New note..." menu item like there used to be.  Thumbs-down to this release unfortunately. 

For people who use an inbox for everything that comes into Evernote, it already IS great.

For those who want to put every last detail in as you create the note, you can always just use the keyboard shortcut for new note, which can be found/customized in your Evernote settings.

When I drag an item out of my Shortcuts, it reappears for a moment after poofing. I've captured a short video of this.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s21/sh/a6322f7b-5705-43ef-b76d-97cf78cd33f6/0e4164409a45b4bc90ae9d718c6f9cc6

Edit:

Occurs for both notes and notebooks.

Evernote version 5.0.7 (400995)

OS X version 10.8.3

MacBook Air 4,2 (1.7GHz Core i5)

I also use EvernotePre for iOS, currently version 5.2.0.263644

Archived