(Archived) Evernote Web Clipper in Chrome not working? Notes are not syncing.

Larry Newman

Hello,

The clipper in Chrome (27.0.1430.3) right now doesn't seem to be working? I try to click it, but it doesn't appear as well as it used to. I did delete it and reinstalled it but to no avail.

See the screen capture as attached...please advise?

Thanks

Larry

P.S. Evernote is a champ!

Hi all, a few tips that may help...

- Chrome 27 is a bit too far out to be supported. We test on stable and beta.

- Check your system clock and make sure it is showing current date & time. 

BTW what OS versions are you on? Also check the Clipper version, latest stable release is 5.9.11

Hi Brown,

Mine is Windows 8 on my brand new PC (Toshiba). I just noticed that my laptop which has Windows 7 runs Evernote Clipper on Chrome just fine.

As for Windows 8, I did delete the Clipper yesterday and reinstalled it (5.9.11), but it still fails.

I checked my system clock. It's just fine. It was reset automatically to Daylight Saving Time yesterday. And, yes, it shows 3/11/2013 today.

Thank you for your reply,

Larry

It worked fine for me on Chrome 27 for my basic testing. 

One idea - if you have experimental Javascript enabled we've seen that it is not working and we currently haven't found a way to work around that. 

Is everyone who gets this on Windows 8? Hands up if you have this issue and run Win 8...

It worked fine for me on Chrome 27 for my basic testing. 

One idea - if you have experimental Javascript enabled we've seen that it is not working and we currently haven't found a way to work around that. 

Is everyone who gets this on Windows 8? Hands up if you have this issue and run Win 8...

I am seeing this as well.  On OSX Chrome 27 and Windows 7 (SP1?) Chrome 25 and 27.  It had worked previously on both these computers using those versions of Chrome but I'm not sure when it stopped working.  Last week for sure it was, last night (Monday the 11th) it wasn't.  Interesting that you mention the system clock.  Mine switched to daylight savings over the weekend - perhaps that is a clue?

Reinstall doesn't fix the problem.  The web clipper in Firefox (19.0.2) on both OSs works fine.

EDIT: Oops - I was wrong about the Windows version of Chrome.  It wasn't working with 25.something and I upgraded and that fixed the problem.  I thought I upgraded to 27 but it was just a newer build of 25.  So the web clipper is now working fine on Chrome 25.0.1364.172 on Windows 7.  Still broken on OSX Chrome 27. 

Interestingly, my Google+ extension creates a similar situation where the pop-up is blank (see attached screenshot).  In both cases the pop-ups actually still function, you just can't see anything. i.e. if you're logged into the web clipper then hitting Enter will create the clip.  So, the situation appears to be with Chrome's rendering and not Evernote specifically.

post-126860-0-89955400-1363125535_thumb.

I guess misery loves company.  My issue also involves Lastpass also.  Neither Evernote web clipper or Lastpass are working correctly in Chrome, but I was having problems before daylight savings time changed.  It has to be an issue with Google Chrome I'd think, but I don't seem to find anything that is helping.  I have a laptop that also is using Windows 7, and both extensions work normally on it so I guess I'll have to compare the settings between my desktop and my laptop computers.  If I learn anything I'll post later.

I just opened the Evernote program on my desktop computer and hit the "sync" choice under "Tools", and now the web clipper is working normally again.  Although I still think it's a Google issue I'll take anything that works.  If I restart my computer, and it doesn't work, and I have to reset it again I'll post.  I use Evernote all the time so it's a big frustration to not have it working.  I'm going to see if something like that is possible to be Lastpass working again.

This will be my last post on this subject because after syncing the Evernote program now my Lastpass program is working normally also.  It's weird, but it's working.  I don't understand why, but I can live with that.  I'll let the tech guys figure that out today.

I'm unable to login into the web clipper extension in chrome Version 25.0.1364.172 m on Windows XP, it keeps returning an unknown error which isn't very helpful. I have tried deleting it and re-installing but still not working.

I then read the posts by drj and manually synced Evernote on my desktop and the extension is now working?!?

• 2 months later...

Evernote Web Clipper stopped working a few weeks ago. I emailed Evernote, who replied, apologetically, that the latest version of Chrome, which I have, is incompatible with Evernote. And I did like Evernote so much, used it a lot.

Hi Leotolstoi,

We support and test Chrome stable and beta but not the dev channels that are 2 version numbers over stable. 

I need to know a bit more about your setup to help you. 

- OS version

- Chrome version

- Web Clipper version number

More details on what happens when you click the Web Clipper button in the Chrome toolbar? 

- Can you sign in successfully?

Evernote stopped working quite suddenly, but I really can't remember whether I had updated Chrome before the problem.

Chrome 26.0.1410.64 m,

Evernote version is 4.6.5.8353 (268861) Public. I have no trouble signing in. 

The message I get is 'You must sign in using the Clip to Evernote toolbar button before you can make clips.' 

Thx Leotolstoi,

1) Verify that you are signed in to the Chrome Web Clipper extension. See image below

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/0f5417d5-3e46-4c67-964c-38518352b193/faae5fb20270c93cc67f3bca0cad1c9d

2) The Web Clipper is a product of its own and being signed into the Windows client is not enough.

If signed into the Web Clipper you should be able to clip using the context menu.

Let me know if that helps.   

I'm now having the same issue too. It works fine on Firefox but Firefox bogs my machine down. 

I'm on OS 10.6

Chrome: Version 26.0.1410.65

Web Clipper:  5.9.14

It worked fine until two days ago. I am logged into Evernote, it forever says "waiting for page."

I'm having the same issues. I can tell it to clip, but it hangs on "Syncing" forever. Evernote status page/Twitter feed says everything is OK there. 

I'm on

Mac OS X 10.8.3

Chrome Version 26.0.1410.65 (stable)

Web Clipper 5.9.14

(And I just updated to a premium account a couple of weeks ago.  :( )

Adding this here - I've noticed it as well, across two computers both running the most recent version of Chrome (26.x) on OS X 10.8.3 and Windows 7 x64 Professional.  On Windows 7 it 'clips' and then hangs at syncing, while on OS X it hangs at 'clipping'.  This started late afternoon at approximately 3pm on Friday, May 17th and has continued through today.  Evernote staff, any word on why this might be, when a fix might be released, or at least if there's a workaround we can use?  Thank you.  I use Evernote on a daily basis, dozens of times a day, so this is pretty impacting.

Thanks folks for the detailed reports. We are investigating, in our tests it works as expected at the moment so if you have more details on how to reproduce this issue please post it here. 

Thanks folks for the detailed reports. We are investigating, in our tests it works as expected at the moment so if you have more details on how to reproduce this issue please post it here. 

I know Evernote Clipper has a logging feature - is there a way to turn this on to provide assistance?  I would be happy to work with a tech or developer to obtain results from systems that are demonstrating this as I am witnessing it across multiple computers.

Some more detailed information:

Chrome: Version 26.0.1410.65 (OS X) 26.0.1410.64 m (Win7)

Chrome Enabled Extensions:  Adblock, Adblock Plus, Code Hilight, Download Assistant, Evernote Web Clipper (v5.9.14), Feedly, ForecastFox, Google Music Player Enhancements, LastPass, LocalLinks, Session Buddy, Speed Dial 2, TamperMonkey, Tweetdeck, XMarks Bookmarks Sync.  Operating in Developer Mode. (Same on both)

An example that currently has generated this result:  http://lifehacker.com/how-to-supercharge-your-router-with-dd-wrt-508138224

The sequence is to open the tab, click the Web Clipper icon.  Letting it default select a notebook and article selection, click OK.  It clips, and then sits in 'syncing' as long as the tab is open.  If the tab is closed, the number on the icon increments by 1, to show it's waiting to sync.  If I close and quit Chrome on either OS and restart, the items aren't synced and the count clears from the clipper, which I assume is expected behavior.  As a note, on both machines demonstrating this I have the desktop client running in the background.

Out of curiosity on the Windows 7 machine I force-quit Chrome and cancelled its background processes, opened a link, and let it sit from ~10pm CST Friday May 17th until ~8am CST May 20th.  During that time it failed to sync at all.  I also tested in a Windows XP SP3 Virtual Machine with Chrome updated to latest version and same extension list.  This clipped the link after a noticable delay, but the sync lacked all images.  A few other test ones synced as well, but again with no images.

Same error here too, the evernote icon always show  the number "20", and the pages still did not get included in my notes. Should I just stay calm or I really lost the pages that I have clipped?

OBS: Chrome Version 25.0.1364.160 Ubuntu 12.04

OBS: I also have checked the log and nothing is shown.

@Denis

Please verify that you are on the latest Web Clipper version 5.9.14

Things to try while we are investigating the root cause:

- Sign out and then sign back in again. If you get a number icon that means you have pending uploads that has not reached the Evernote service yet. Once Web Clipper gets connected again they should resume uploading as they are saved locally.

- Restart your computer.

- Uninstall > Re-install (this will delete any pending uploads you may have so proceed with caution if you have important items that are not saved)

Hey Evernote team,

I'm also experiencing the same Web clipper issues since three or four days. The web clipper simply doesn't sync. It does the clipping part, but then shows a small yellow number on the Evernote Icon. A restart of Chrome causes the number to disappear, but I assume the pages get lost as they don't show up in Evernote. 

After restarting Chrome, it clips and syncs one or two pages, but after that the same problem occurs again.

I'm running:

OS X 10.8.3 on a Macbook Pro 

Chrome 26.0.1410.65

Evernote Web Clipper 5.9.14

Already re-installed the web clipper and restarted the macbook, signed out and in about a billion times, but no results. 

Hope you get this fixed soon!

BTW I love Evernote. Best application ever! Kudos to you!

Hi Printus, thanks for your report and sorry for the inconvenience. If possible can you see my earlier post about capturing logs from Chrome and send them in a PM to me, that will help us investigating this further. 

So far we have reasons to believe this can be a Chrome browser issue, additional helpful thing for us to know would be:

1) Do you have Chrome Canary installed on your system as well?

2) Do you have any weird developer settings going on?

3) Do you have any extensions or other settings that will clear the cache or local storage in regular intervals?

4) If you are comfortable, send me a PM with all the extensions you have installed in Chrome. 

Clipper problem persisting.

Endless synch, with no completion of task

Mac OS  10.6.8

Chrome Version 26.0.1410.65

Evernote Version 5.0.7 (400995)

Premium Account

It would appear from this thread that this problem has persisted.

Could we get some feedback from Evernote as to possible cause? And how long to get fix?

This is serious problem.

Thanks

Dear evernote team,

I have the same problem here, numbers of pending clips shown on elephant mark. It has been happening since Fri 17 May, Asian morning time.

I'm on Windows 7 Pro SP1 / Chrome ver 26.0.1410.64 m / evernote clipper 5.9.14.

I re-installed Chrome and the extension, but the issue not solved. Evernote client on Windows works fine.

I will keep watching this topic.

Regards,

I have the same error with everlasting sync of my web clipping. I've debug clipper (page  _generated_background_page.html) and find two js error.

1. When I first start browser I've error : Error during contextMenus.remove: Cannot find menu item with id pdf sendRequest:22
    chromeHidden.handleResponse sendRequest:22
  2. When sync have frozen: Error in event handler for 'undefined': Invalid value for argument 1. Value must not be less than 0. Error: Invalid value for argument 1. Value must not be less than 0.
        at validate (schemaUtils:37:15)
        at Object.normalizeArgumentsAndValidate (schemaUtils:123:3)
        at Object.<anonymous> (schema_generated_bindings:301:32)
        at Object.Browser.sendToTab (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/js/common/Browser.js:53:23)
        at Object.msgHandlerGetConfig [as main_getConfig] (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/js/main/Extension.js:1427:13)
        at <error: illegal access>
        at chrome.Event.dispatchToListener (event_bindings:390:21)
        at chrome.Event.dispatch_ (event_bindings:376:27)
        at chrome.Event.dispatch (event_bindings:396:17)
        at miscellaneous_bindings:166:33 event_bindings:380
    chrome.Event.dispatch_ event_bindings:380
    chrome.Event.dispatch event_bindings:396
    (anonymous function) miscellaneous_bindings:166
    chrome.Event.dispatchToListener event_bindings:390
    chrome.Event.dispatch_ event_bindings:376
    chrome.Event.dispatch event_bindings:396
    chromeHidden.Port.dispatchOnMessage miscellaneous_bindings:254
Hope it will help.

Mikhail

For those of you following this thread, I was able to successfully back out of this problem.  Here's how:

1.  Go to the Chrome Menu,  Extensions.

2.  Click on the trash icon next to Evernote Web Clipper extension.  Say yes, make sure it's removed.

3.  Close Chrome.  This is important, make SURE Chrome is not running in the background! (I suspect this might be the problem for those of you that uninstalled/reinstalled already.)  To make sure, press Ctrl-Shift-Esc, browse the task list, and make sure there are no "Chrome" instances running.  There may also be a chrome in your systray (for Windows users), make sure to kill it as well.

4.  Restart Chrome, and go to http://evernote.com/webclipper/

5.  Install the web clipper from that page.  The Web Clipper guide will pop up, and to ensure it's working, click to sign in, without changing any options, and sign in using your email account rather than user name.

6.  If all goes well, it should clip successfully.

I tested this on Mac and Windows, and so far so good.  Hopefully this helps others;  if this is what fixed it maybe something in the internal caches got corrupted and the remove/full restart cleared it out.  As a heads up, you may lose your tabs, so just be forewarned about having to reopen them!

Hi All!

Just an update:

--> I have tried to sign out and then sign back in again, nothing changed.

--> Restarted my computer, and all my pending notes have gone :( , I will try to recover them later. At least web clipper looks like is working again. 

ps: My log is still blank. In future versions of web clipper I think that is very interesting to log each clipped URL, so in cases like this we have some place where we can recover the lost URLs.

Same issue here. I've attempted all the suggested fixes and nothing works. Clipper was acting up mid-week, then was fine over the weekend, and is not functional right now.

Seeing as it's central to Evernote's functionality, couldn't the company tell us when it will be fixed?

Hi all,

If you are affected by the failure to sync issue on Chrome and have a few minutes to help us troubleshoot the issue please read on. 

We have a diagnostic build that will log more verbose errors to the background.html page. Please follow instruction in this note to install this version:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/84d50482-3ca6-4d9b-a47f-27509e774e97/f9bc37d4ce6ae1a39f69d46f5134d8ca

This will help us further diagnose the issue. 

Dear jbignert,

I followed your instruction and installed the diagnostic version.

Initial several clips went well with that test version, then the same problems happened.

However, I cannot find link to the error log as shown in your instruction page. There are no line between Permissions and Allow in incognito with my page.

I'm on WIn7Pro / Chrome 27.0.1453.93 m / Web Clipper diagnostic version 

Hope it gives some information for your investigation.

Regards,

Hi all,

We are getting closer to locating the cause and would like to reach out to affected users for a few more data points. (if you are getting the sync failure where notes are not uploaded but the yellow icon keeps incrementing) 

1) Your user ID

2) Your shard ( shard = the server number that your notes and data are stored on)

How to get user ID:

https://www.evernote...dd1e7261e7d2d0 

How to get your shard ID:

1) Create a new test note with some random content.

2) Shared the note and copy the URL to clipboard.

3) Load the shared note URL in a browser.

The shard ID is in the beginning of the shared note URL.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/ba313faf-c54d-4f3c-bea6-b9c62d4b1286/5ffad1e4dc14cf5a9d3f205711eecdfe

Send it in a PM to me please. 

@EdH - there is a 'Developer mode' checkbox that needs to be enabled on the top of the 'Manage extensions' page. Once you enable that you should see the 'Inspect Popup' command. 

Sorry for missing that earlier. 

• Level 5*

@EdH - there is a 'Developer mode' checkbox that needs to be enabled on the top of the 'Manage extensions' page. Once you enable that you should see the 'Inspect Popup' command. 

I am sure you said it somewhere and I just missed it. Relevant info sent. I have Windows 7 and the new Chrome 27 that Google pushed out this morning, but this has been going on for a few days.

Thx EdH, please keep relaunching Chrome every now and then, we have reason to believe this may be a Chrome bug and not a Clipper bug (still unconfirmed though) and they have pushed a few updates today already. 

Appreciate the details.

@jbignert I'm having the same problem, currently have 90 notes pending. With that many notes, I don't want to lose them, which is what I am worried would happen if I install the diagnostic version or uninstall/install web clipper (I did send you my user ID and shard ID in a PM though). I hope you guys are working on a way to get the pending notes uploaded, so people who have a lot (like me) don't lose them all!

Do you guys have smart filing enabled? You can check by right-clicking on the elephant, select "Options", and look for the dropdown menu labeled "Enable Smart Filing". Also, when you clip, do you see the notebook list or does it say "Loading Notebooks..."?

@cchan yes, I have "Enable Smart Filing" turned on and the notebook are trying to load, but they never get loaded. That appears to be the source of the problem.

edit: after turning this feature off, the clipper is still not working, so maybe they aren't the same problem.

@cchan I see the notebook list when I clip, it does not say "Loading Notebooks..". But once I clip, the popup says "Clipping.." and never gets to the "Synchronizing" step that it used to before. 

• Level 5*

Do you guys have smart filing enabled? You can check by right-clicking on the elephant, select "Options", and look for the dropdown menu labeled "Enable Smart Filing". Also, when you clip, do you see the notebook list or does it say "Loading Notebooks..."?

I do not have smart filing enabled.

The notebook list for me shows up immediately.

Hi again, 

And sorry for the continuing issues for some of you. We have one more additional ask for information from users who cannot sync / upload their clips to Evernote.

We need this to find more information:

1)  The URI on the shards that is being hit by these failures (e.g. /foo/bar) so I can filter down in the access logs
2)  The date and approximate time of a failure from a particular user who is performing the action that should have triggered the failure
3)  The user's IP address around the time of the failure (e.g. search for "my ip address" in Google)

I.e. someone experiencing the problem can reproduce it and send us their failure time and IP. 

Please send this in a PM directly to me. Appreciate your help. 

• Level 5*

Hi again, 

And sorry for the continuing issues for some of you. We have one more additional ask for information from users who cannot sync / upload their clips to Evernote.

We need this to find more information:

1)  The URI on the shards that is being hit by these failures (e.g. /foo/bar) so I can filter down in the access logs

2)  The date and approximate time of a failure from a particular user who is performing the action that should have triggered the failure

3)  The user's IP address around the time of the failure (e.g. search for "my ip address" in Google)

I.e. someone experiencing the problem can reproduce it and send us their failure time and IP. 

Please send this in a PM directly to me. Appreciate your help. 

Can I create the necessary failure by clipping? Right now I have 2 notes pending in the clipper, but it was 2-3 days ago and don't remember where I was (home/work) when it happened, so the IP would be different, and cannot even narrow it to the day. So if I clip a 3rd note, can I send you the relevant info on that, or does it have to be the initial failure?

Hi all,

We have an attempt for a fix for the recent sync issues in Chrome Clipper 5.9.14. If you are affected please install the build below and let us know if that took care of it on your machine. 

Note: If you have clips that haven't uploaded yet you can try these somewhat technical steps to save them from being removed. 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/0bbe07c4-799c-4105-93d6-9be7286157ca/b62ec4ba8a736c5478844dd02db46426

Get the new build with the fix here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/30700763-8bb1-4ad1-a007-1c58b2601f02/363040d882326f32987e69b55ee218d3

I had been having issues with Chrome and the Evernote web clipper not syncing. After adding the beta version of the web clipper, my problem was solved. Thank you.

Hi all,

We have an attempt for a fix for the recent sync issues in Chrome Clipper 5.9.14. If you are affected please install the build below and let us know if that took care of it on your machine. 

Note: If you have clips that haven't uploaded yet you can try these somewhat technical steps to save them from being removed. 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/0bbe07c4-799c-4105-93d6-9be7286157ca/b62ec4ba8a736c5478844dd02db46426

Get the new build with the fix here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/30700763-8bb1-4ad1-a007-1c58b2601f02/363040d882326f32987e69b55ee218d3

Hi all,

We've pushed a new release with a fix to the issues from last week. 5.9.15 is the latest version where the fix is applied.

IMPORTANT: IF you installed any of the beta or diagnostic versions please remember to uninstall and then re-install from the Chrome Web Store or www.evernote.com/webclipper  to make sure you are on the release update channel and get future auto updates.

Thanks to all who have helped troubleshoot this issue and once again sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi jbignert,

tried the manual install fix and it's been working continuously and well for several days. I don't know yet if it is affected by a restart because I haven't needed one. I am glad I did not have to restart my browser and risk losing tons of open tabs (reboot/restart is always an extreme measure that should if possible never be recommended by a supplier). 

The attention to detail you've displayed in attending to this issue merits a warm congratulation and thanks.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem - not being able to login to, or use, Evernote web clipper on Chrome in my Win 7 desktop.

I followed a few instructions from the forum but what worked for me was:

1. Open Google Chrome Webstore and then search for Evernote. 

2. click on "Launch App"

3. Sign in to Evernote 

4. Copy and paste the link of the site you wanted to clip and open that site in a new window/tab of Chrome.

5. Click on Evernote Web Clip icon and save the web clip like normal.

Note: my icon is still greyed out but I seem to now be able to clip on any new windows. All windows that were open in chrome before I signed don't allow web clips.

I haven't yet tried it after closing browser and restarting pc. Hoping it just works without the above.

This is all after Evernote upgrade.

Some people have been reverting to old versions of Evernote. You can do so here: http://www.oldapps.com/evernote.php

Hope this helps.

Archived