Chrome says: "Could not load VLC Web Plugin."

DVM

I made an audio recording on my Android phone and attempted to listen to it using the Evernote web client via Chrome under Windows 8. Each time I attempt to play the recording I get the message "Could not load VLC Web Plugin." 

I can play the audio in Evernote's desktop client without issue.

I attempted to find a VLC Plugin for Chrome that I could install and was not able to.

post-113701-0-90790300-1362769057_thumb.

post-113701-0-64299300-1362769058_thumb.

• Level 5*

There's a problem (kind've) in that Evernote runs on lots of diverse platforms and if - as in your case - you record sound on one client,  you get a recording in a format that suits that device.  If you then try to play it back on another,  Evernote will use the audio player of choice for that other OS - which may not understand the file type you saved.  The trick is to use an app at each end that will play a single file type.  You should be able to download VLC for your Win8 setup (it's a separate app) - I suggest you try that.

Check for other sound recording apps on Android that will save to MP3 or WMV format and try those from your phone..

Well, I used Evernote's Android app to record the audio and it used an AMR format which their desktop client had no issue with. Also, I already had VLC installed and actually re-installed it just in case there was an issue registering it with Chrome. I also went into chrome://plugins and found that the VLC plugin exists and is active. I've also looked for an AMR player for Chrome without luck.

Not sure where to go from here...

• Level 5*

Ah (as they say) Hah.  Add to my earlier statement that if you're using the web client,  it doesn't even know or care what your hardware is.  You're using notes in your browser,  so the app tries to play the sound in your browser.  From the sound of it (pun intended) Chrome doesn't understand AMR files and hasn't got a VLC add-in to play them.  So.

1. use a different browser,  or
  2. find out what sound files Chrome will play,  and record those from your phone,  or (as I said before)
  3. download the sound file from the web to your desktop and play it from there.

I just tested the ability of the Evernote web client to open the audio file (AMR format, created by Evernote's Android app) under Chrome on another Windows 8 computer and the problem occurred again.

I also tried it in an "Incognito" session of Chrome which disables all extensions and still cannot play the AMR file.

Finally, I tried to play the same file in Evernote's web client under IE10 and it played fine.

• Level 5*

I just tested the ability of the Evernote web client to open the audio file (AMR format, created by Evernote's Android app) under Chrome on another Windows 8 computer and the problem occurred again.

I also tried it in an "Incognito" session of Chrome which disables all extensions and still cannot play the AMR file.

Finally, I tried to play the same file in Evernote's web client under IE10 and it played fine.

As I said earlier,  playing AMR sound files from the web app in Chrome can't and won't work.  The browser doesn't have the technology to play that file type.  When you do the same from your desktop application,  it has access to your other software including VLC,  so everything works.

Can't? Earlier you said "From the sound of it Chrome doesn't understand AMR files".

I find it difficult to believe that it is impossible for Chrome to play an AMR file when another browser can. Still holding out hope that that there is a solution.

I was thinking the same thing Metrodon but I've found no specific extension and when I check chrome://plugins I found both VLC and Quicktime (another AMR player) exist. I had also uninstalled, then reinstalled the latest version of VLC without success.

• 1 month later...

Fail.

Your method failed for me using Windows 8, Chrome Beta.

Had the same problem with Evernote on Google Chrome under Windows 7 - "Could not load VLC Web Plugin". I just right-clicked on the grey area where audio file supposed to be and selected "Hide this plugin". Restarted Chrome and problem gone - all audio notes now playing with QuickTime plugin. Just make sure you have QuickTime palyer installed. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

5 posts on this topic without contributing value. To add insult to injury, you added rude comments like "As I said earlier" and "As I said before." Either you didn't say it before, or your audience didn't remember. So the qualification that you said it before wasted everyone's time.

If you don't know anything about an issue, refrain from posting.  Prolix and inaccurate supposition ending with "I could be wrong" would have been better spent reflecting on the aphorism "Silence is golden."

;)  I was kind of generalising from the available evidence,  but I could be wrong - good luck with the search!

• Level 5*

We're all just users here in this forum, like it or not. Gazumped was trying to be helpful, and the issue was underspecified by the original poster -- some of his five posts went towards narrowing the problem down. Comments like "As I said earlier" and "As I said before" are not ipso facto rude, certainly far less than your tender mode of calling him out on what you perceive as his failings ("Fail." "5 posts on this topic without contributing value"). Gazumped adds a lot of value to this forum; ask any Evernote employee who frequents the lace. You're not quite in his league yet: your first post demonstrates a solution for Win 7 -- does it work for Win 8, which is the original poster's actual scenario? Your second post? Well, let's just say that you are 1 for 2 in terms of value proposition so far, and leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking the same thing Metrodon but I've found no specific extension and when I check chrome://plugins I found both VLC and Quicktime (another AMR player) exist. I had also uninstalled, then reinstalled the latest version of VLC without success.

It's been a while. Have you solved this?...

I was having the same problem, and also had both plugins installed.

When I disabled VLC plugin, audio clips were available via Quicktime.

HTH!

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I have the same problem but mostly annoying that every time I open a note with audio attached as amr it downloads the file. Is there a way to stop that happening? I still want to record from within Evernote, pity they don't use MP3 or something a bit more universal. I want to go on any computer and use evernote without having to mess with VLC etc. I think the solution is for Evernote Web to have a built in player so you can choose to play if you want to but not to download the note audio dozens of times.

Cheers

• Level 5*

Evernote web doesn't hold the file contents on your computer so would have to download the content locally to play it even if it included a player.  It does appear from the responses above that the problem was resolved on various platforms by downloading plugins for the browsers which displayed the Evernote content.  And you can always record MP3 files using a 3rd-party app and embed those files in Evernote if you have a reliable method of playing them.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I don't use that feature (or the web interface very often) but it seems to me that might be a feature the developers intended as a benefit - if you open a note with a sound file,  you'll "obviously" want to play it,  so it gets sucked onto the local machine.  Attaching an MP3 (or another sound standard) non-evernote file might work better.  Evernote understands at least that it shouldn't open attachments unless you specify otherwise or click to open them.

• 5 months later...

Archived