(Archived) Skitch fails to sync

Juli

Hi!

For some reason skitch shows this errors message when I start it, saying that it failed to synced. I logged out and in to my Evernote account several times.

I'm using Skitch 2.0.5 with OS X 10.7.5. This is what I found in the console:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s15/sh/7d889c96-939e-4ec7-bf4a-1f58028e9cde/2f5b321905b72af4c80c95006b10349e

Can someone help me fix this?

Thanks, Julius

Hi Juli,

Thanks for the detailed report. I've asked our devs to look at this one. 

Are you using Skitch on any other platforms, or just the Mac?

Did you see this problem before 2.0.5?

Juli,

Please try the following:

• Verify you have gone to evernote.com and changed your password on the site (www.evernote.com) <- If you changed your password after our security notice went out this weekend you should be good.
  • Quit Skitch
  • Quit the Helper found up in the status bar
  • Restart Skitch and try logging in again.

Some users have reported having a login issue if they have not fully quit Skitch (app + helper) after doing the upgrade. If these steps don't work and you are able to log into www.evernote.com with your current password, then please let us know and we'll see what we can do to resolve your issue. 

@j_w - do you have any other versions of Skitch installed? I forgot to mention you should delete any other version of Skitch you have installed other than the one you are trying to run.

If you have no other versions installed currently and doing a full quit of Skitch and the Helper does not resolve the login problem, please send me a private message through the forums so I can ask some more computer specific questions. Thanks.

Thanks for your help, Joe!

I did change my password after the reset and it works fine with Evernote!

I'm also using skitch for iOS, which works well.

I didn't experience this problem before the latest update.

Somehow, the Skitch helper won't shut down. However, rebooting my Mac should do the trick, right? Didn't help though...

There is one thing that I realized that might matter: For some reason, every picture that I have in Skitch now appears three times! Both on iOS and OS X!

Any ideas?

@Juli

From the last sentence, does that mean you are now in Skitch? You can log into it from your Mac as well as iOS now? Have you tried logging out and back in just in case it is a visual glitch?

Were you running Skitch from the Mac App Store and now running the direct download version? Or vice versa?

Due to the way Mac security works there can be some odd behaviors if you switch. If did run two different versions then please send me a private message and there are some steps we can take to try and clear up the issue.

If you didn't change versions, and you are able to log in and out and still see the triples, please contact me so we can connect with you directly in order to get some more info from you and try and resolve your problem.

I've always been using the app store version.

I just realized that despite the error message, Skitch does sync (at least it works from iOS to OS X, can't test it the other way round because this would exceed my download limit...)

So maybe the alert is just a GUI glitch? Still having the issue with the triples though!

I'm gonna be offline for a week now. I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

I encountered the exact same issue. Have tried logging out, quitting Skitch + Helper, sending the app to Trash and downloading again from App Store. Synchronization fails a sec after I start the app. On a sidenote, it seems Preferences > Sync > Use this Evernote Notebook for Skitch Notes: listing is out of sync as well.

It might be coincidental but Skitch stopped working about at the same time my Evernote account was upgraded to Business Professional.

@Jarno

Can you please shoot me a private message with the following information:

• What version of Skitch you are using? (if you have not upgraded to 2.0.5 please do this and try again)
  • Have you reset your Evernote password? (if you have not please go to evernote.com and click on the graphic about changing your password; do that; and then type in the new password in Skitch)
  • Please shoot us your Activity Log found by going to Help->Activity Log (send the contents of this to me)

@Joe Lopez: PM sent, posting here, too, in case it’s helpful to others.

I only have Skitch 2.0.5 installed, via the Mac App Store.

I tried not only a full quit of Skitch + helper, but also re-installing Skitch entirely. The problem persists. 

Similar to @Juli’s observation, Skitch actually does sync from my Mac to Evernote, despite giving me the “Synchronization failed” error message upon each launch & quit.

My local database was corrupted. The problem was solved by deleting the Library > Containers > com.skitch.skitch folder (shut down Skitch + Skitch Helper beforehand). This was the App Store version of Skitch.

Please note that deleting that folder will delete all your local notes that haven't been synced.

• 1 month later...

My local database was corrupted. The problem was solved by deleting the Library > Containers > com.skitch.skitch folder (shut down Skitch + Skitch Helper beforehand). This was the App Store version of Skitch.

Please note that deleting that folder will delete all your local notes that haven't been synced.

@Jarno this fixed it for me as well.

My symptoms were: I would start Skitch and the main window would come up but it was greyed-out... then an "unexpected error" dialog would appear in the background, and then the tutorial overlay would appear ("click here to learn more about..."). At that point it was hung and I couldn't do anything except kill it.

Removing ~/Library/Container/com.skitch.skitch resolved the problem.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

@Jarno this fixed it for me as well.

My symptoms were: I would start Skitch and the main window would come up but it was greyed-out... then an "unexpected error" dialog would appear in the background, and then the tutorial overlay would appear ("click here to learn more about..."). At that point it was hung and I couldn't do anything except kill it.

Removing ~/Library/Container/com.skitch.skitch resolved the problem.

Mike.

@Jarno - thanks! This fixed it for me too.

Mac Client

Version 2.5 (262720)

I just wanted to add my note that I was experiencing the same issue as the user above wherein the "Get Started" tutorial was springing up on launch and I was getting the sync error immediately thereafter. But as the tutorial process had greyed and locked out the background there was no way to exit out or clear the sync error modal without Force Quitting the app.

I am having the same problem. But I can't find the Library > Containers > com.skitch.skitch folder that I need to delete. Is it because of my OSX version? I am using OSX 10.7.5 and I am sure I have the latest version of Skitch, since I just upgraded it this morning (through the App Store).

I would greatly appreciate any help...

I am having the same problem. But I can't find the Library > Containers > com.skitch.skitch folder that I need to delete. Is it because of my OSX version? I am using OSX 10.7.5 and I am sure I have the latest version of Skitch, since I just upgraded it this morning (through the App Store).

I would greatly appreciate any help...

Hi Ismaeldeleon, you may already know this, so no offense intended, but be sure that you are looking in your User directory, and not your root directory. For example:

Do go to: YourHardDrive > Users > YourHomeDirectory > Library > Containers > com.skitch.sktich

Do not go to:YourHardDrive > Library > yadayada

Others will correct me if I am wrong, but that is where mine was. Hope that helps!

Don't worry, no offense...

In fact I know I should know more about this, but I still can't find it. In my home directory only the following folders appear: Applications, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Dropbox, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public and Sites. No Library folder...

I also used the search option in order to list all files and folders in my computer with "containers" and nothing appears. Only Skitch files appear when I search for "skitch" in the filename, and they are all in the Pictures folder.

Ah yes... sorry, I forgot that by default they started hiding the Library folder in more recent versions of OS X. You have two options to see it:

To see it temporarily, just option click the Go menu in the Finder and you will see Library in the dropdown.

If you want access to it more permanently you will need to use the Terminal app. Don't do this if you aren't comfortable with it as mistakes here can mess up how your computer functions. You can find Terminal here: Applications > Utilities

1. If you are the only user on this machine you are likely already logged in as root. If not, you will need to log out and log back in as the root account.

2. Launch Terminal

3. Type this at the prompt: sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library

Either one of those should do the trick!

*edited to correct incorrect autocorrected text for the terminal string syntax

• 3 weeks later...

Juli,

Please try the following:

• Verify you have gone to evernote.com and changed your password on the site (www.evernote.com) <- If you changed your password after our security notice went out this weekend you should be good.
  • Quit Skitch
  • Quit the Helper found up in the status bar
  • Restart Skitch and try logging in again.

Some users have reported having a login issue if they have not fully quit Skitch (app + helper) after doing the upgrade. If these steps don't work and you are able to log into www.evernote.com with your current password, then please let us know and we'll see what we can do to resolve your issue. 

Thank you, worked perfectly!!

Archived