(Archived) Different results from the same search in Windows and Mac. Why?

jelake

Idea

I was looking for a document from our last sales meeting to find the name of our Motorola contact.

On my Windows PC, I entered a search for "sales moto" and found the agenda from our sales kickoff meeting with the contact.  (exact result I was looking for)

On my Mac, I entered the exact same search term and did NOT get the sales kickoff note.  I had to add "sales kickoff" to find the document on my Mac.

Why would the search function be providing different results on different versions of the app?

5 replies to this idea

Just tried that.  I get the same results on the Mac with or without the asterisk.

115 notes total...and none of them are the note from the Sales Kickoff meeting.

And for grins, I just checked how many results I get on my Windows machine when I enter the "sales moto" search term:  116.  This must be some anomaly related to that note since it's the ONLY exception not showing up in the results.

Still can't make sense of it...

I was looking for a document from our last sales meeting to find the name of our Motorola contact.

On my Windows PC, I entered a search for "sales moto" and found the agenda from our sales kickoff meeting with the contact.  (exact result I was looking for)

On my Mac, I entered the exact same search term and did NOT get the sales kickoff note.  I had to add "sales kickoff" to find the document on my Mac.

Why would the search function be providing different results on different versions of the app?

Are you using the quotes in the search bar?  In the Windows client, searching for moto (without the quotes) is the same as searching for moto* (with the asterisk wildcard.)  IDK if the Mac works the same way.  IOW, searching on moto will result in notes with Motorola.  So using "sales moto" (not in quotes) will return a note that contains the word salesforce and the word Motorola.

If you're using the quotes on both machines, the results should be the same, I would think.  Both should find only those notes with the exact phrase "sales moto".  To use my example above, searching on "moto" (enclosed in quotes) on the Windows client will NOT give you notes with Motorola.  Searching on "sales moto" (enclosed in quotes) will NOT return the note with only the words salesforce and Motorola.

I did not use quotes as my intent was to find a document that included the word "sales" and the word "Motorola" but not necessarily together.  I couldn't remember if we called it a "Sales Conference", "Sales Meeting" or a "Sales Kickoff" so I just left it open-ended with "sales".

I just did it again for the heck of it.  I think there's something wrong with the sync'd file on the Mac version.  When I just do a search for "sales" (without quotes) it finds the document, but only because the word "sales" is in the note title.  It IS NOT highlighting the word "sales" in the PDF version as if the PDF is not OCR'ed.  On the Windows version, it highlights the work "sales" in the document showing that it's been OCRd.

I can't explain why the same file isn't OCR'ed on the Mac app but IS on the Windows one, but this would explain why it isn't finding the word "Moto" since that's not in the note title.

Archived