I Don't Want To Sync--Ever

I only want to use local notebooks. I never want any of my notebooks to sync. Is there someway to permamently turn off syncing?

Also, why do I have to sign up for an account if I'm just using local notebooks? I don't want to sync, so why is an account necessary?

Is there anyway to completely eliminate syncing? Any help would be great.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  You don't mention which version of Evernote you're using,  but whichever it is there will be an options screen somewhere where you can turn off syncing if you really want to.  You'll be missing out on some useful features though - including OCR of text in pictures,  and a backup of your data in case your hardware is damaged or stolen.

I only want to use local notebooks. I never want any of my notebooks to sync. Is there someway to permamently turn off syncing?

Also, why do I have to sign up for an account if I'm just using local notebooks? I don't want to sync, so why is an account necessary?

Is there anyway to completely eliminate syncing? Any help would be great.

Thanks

You may find this thread helpful

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23333-need-to-only-have-a-local-copy-of-evernote/

Thank you for the replies. I'm still confused as to why I have to create an account in order to create only local notebooks. Does anyone know why?

If it forces me to create an account, I'll just use fake info.

If any of this has to do with money, I would gladly pay to keep my privacy.

Thanks

Thank you for the replies. I'm still confused as to why I have to create an account in order to create only local notebooks. Does anyone know why?

If it forces me to create an account, I'll just use fake info.

If any of this has to do with money, I would gladly pay to keep my privacy.

Thanks

Because Evernote is a cloud app.

As Evernote is primarily a service that backs up and enables you to access your information from almost any device, I doubt the developers expect to attract very many people who don't want those features. For those features, you need an account. Though they haven't said, it's quite possible that it really never occurred to them to include an option not to have an account.  

Thank you for all of the information. I heard people rave about the app, but they did not make it clear that it was primarily an online app. When working for certain companies or organizations, security/privacy are of the highest importance. Just having an account on a data storage site can be frowned upon.

I'm sure Evernote is a nice app, but it's not going to fit my needs.

Thanks agin for all of the info.

• 1 year later...

I'm the exact same opinion as the topic starter. I love Evernote, but I only want it local. I switched Sync off a thousand times, but it doesn't work. Is there really no way to inhibit sync? Why would you make certain feature only available online? If I'm down road I have a lousy internet connection in some 3rd world country, I cannot wait for synching or cannot search through my whole notebook.

Cloud is a good thing - if you know your limitation. I'm not always online and so aren't most of us. We always need local data, unless you really only move in metropolitan areas in your own country.

So, question again: How can I make my Evernote fully local?

I'm the exact same opinion as the topic starter. I love Evernote, but I only want it local. I switched Sync off a thousand times, but it doesn't work. Is there really no way to inhibit sync? Why would you make certain feature only available online? If I'm down road I have a lousy internet connection in some 3rd world country, I cannot wait for synching or cannot search through my whole notebook.

Cloud is a good thing - if you know your limitation. I'm not always online and so aren't most of us. We always need local data, unless you really only move in metropolitan areas in your own country.

Please read the thread as this has been addressed. At a minimum, read posts #3 & #6.

• Level 5*

Thank you for all of the information. I heard people rave about the app, but they did not make it clear that it was primarily an online app. When working for certain companies or organizations, security/privacy are of the highest importance. Just having an account on a data storage site can be frowned upon.

I'm sure Evernote is a nice app, but it's not going to fit my needs.

Thanks agin for all of the info.

I don't understand the problem. Just create an account with fake name and use only local notebooks. It won't matter at that point whether sync is on or off because local notebooks don't get sync'ed.

As Tavor says, using local notebooks will allow you to keep your notes from syncing to the cloud. 

Keep in mind that there is no equivalent workaround on mobile devices, as such if you intend to use Evernote on your mobile device, notes created on your device will HAVE to be synced to the cloud, and you will not be able to access notes created on your desktop machine. 

Personally I would find this way of using Evernote more complicated (and prone to potentially accidentally syncing my confidential information if I, for example, inadvertently add something to a notebook that syncs) than I'd like. You might want to consider alternatives such as NValt or Notational Velocity, or some other plain text note taking application that is more amenable to local-only work. 

Archived