(Archived) Unable to access server, unable to re-install

CPfan

Since I changed my password, I have been unable to access the Evernote server from my Windows 8 laptop.  Plus there was an Evernote update somewhere in the middle of this too.  I tried from the Start menu and from the desktop.  It couldn't even access the server to verify the password.  Everything is working on my Android devices.  All are using the same WiFi in the hotel I'm currently staying at.

So I thought let's un-install Evernote, download the current version, and re-install.  So I did an un-install, re-boot, and download to install.  Nothing happened.  I downloaded again, this time saving the download file.  Click on it, nothing happens.  Click on it 6 or 7 times, nothing happens.  Someone else has a thread with a French error message, I got no message at all.  I re-booted and tried again.  Still nothing.

So I tried Evernote Touch from the Windows store.  It claims to have installed, but if I click on it (guess what) nothing happens.  I don't have a touch screen laptop, so that may be the reason.

Regardless, right now I don't have Evernote on my laptop.  I can't install it.  Even if I could install it, it probably wouldn't be able to access the Evernote server.

OTOH, everything seems just fine on my Android devices.

Should have mentioned that the file that I downloaded is Evernote_4.6.3.8096.exe

Steve

• Level 5*

You should note that this is a user forum, not an official support forum. You should open a support request; see the link in my signature. In the meanwhile, you should check that you can access your notes using the Evernote web client.

Yep, everything is accessible from the web client (and up-to-date).  Thank you pointing that out, I didn't even know that it existed.

BTW, I strongly suspect that my problem is related to this thread started in Dec 2010, and apparently not repaired yet. Two-and-a-half years and the program can't be un-installed cleanly?

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22282-✔-latest-evernote-cant-be-installed-after-old-version-not-uninstalled-properly/

Steve

• Level 5*

I can't speak to that (I've never encountered any such difficulty), but people report having good luck using the Revo product for uninstalling Evernote. 

Yep, everything is accessible from the web client (and up-to-date).  Thank you pointing that out, I didn't even know that it existed.

BTW, I strongly suspect that my problem is related to this thread started in Dec 2010, and apparently not repaired yet. Two-and-a-half years and the program can't be un-installed cleanly?

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22282-✔-latest-evernote-cant-be-installed-after-old-version-not-uninstalled-properly/

Steve

Hello! The thread you cited actually had that specific problem solved, but it comes back to live every once in a while because people have new issues that have the same symptoms.

4.6.3.8096 is the latest version. Just to be painfully clear, when you double click the file nothing happens? No installation dialogs or error messages or anything?

I would suggest using the Revo uninstaller and then trying again. I think support would suggest something similar.

• 2 weeks later...

The problems described above occurred while I was on vacation.  I did not wish to fool around with unknown (to me) products like Revo without a very recent backup of my laptop,. Since the web version of Evernote worked fine (thank you Jefito), there was no rush.

By the time that I made it home, Evernote was working on my PC as if nothing had happened.  I did not make any further attempts to install the new version of Evernote.  I just checked and 4.6.3.8096 (268604) is installed on my laptop.

So, in my opinion, one of two things happened.

1) Evernote repaired some problem with accessing their server.

2) repeated re-boots of the laptop over several days caused the software to install properly.

Steve

Archived