(Archived) Constant difference of opinion with the Evangelists

• Evernote Expert

I just wrote a post which was apparently found offensive and the thread blocked. I seriously meant no harm in that thread. But since it was found offensive, i apologise to the moderators and evangelists concerned. 

I have benefitted immensely from the stock Evernote app and also Evernote Hello, along with Skitch and Penultimate. I found all of these apps useful, and evernote has immensely helped organize my life, as i suffer from ADHD. But one constant thing that i found in this forum is that any body who posts a genuine critical comment due to his bad experiences ( may be data loss or something like that) gets a staunch defence from the Evernote evangelists on this forum. The job of an Evangelist should be to promote the good things about an organization and not attempt to defend the indefensible. But , it does happen, and almost all the time, and not just to me. thousands of posts in this forum show this.

Now coming to another point. I am a big fan of Evernote, and all though, most of my posts in the forum are critical of Evernote, i run a personal blog where i talk only of its strengths and how it has benefited me immensely. Like many people, i believe that criticism is a reality check for the developers and helps them get real feedback from the users. After all, i don't see much logic in having a system that can tell that there is a note conflict , but cannot compare and correct the note, ensuring that no information is lost. And when someone raises this issue in the forum then, what do the fanboys say? Since you know that EN does not support this feature, you should export the notes out and compare them in another application. get the changes and then update your EN account. What they say is logical, but I get the feeling that by doing this the fanboys take off much of the pressure exerted by regular users clammering for a feature that might have been implemented by EN. What is also true is that by taking the notes out of the system and using them in a different app, makes it more cumbersome and creates a scenario for data loss and lesser productivity which defeats the very purpose of Evernote. 

Just like this example, i find many loose ends in Evernote which if fixed will only enhance the real experience of Evernote.Today, a person said that if my data had been breached , it was entirely my fault, since i did not keep a strong password. I don't know how the person concluded that i was probably using a simple password and i was to blame. My passwords are generated by the keypass app and they constitute random combination of 14-15 characters consisting of small and cap letters, numbers and special characters. like 4J0k6_f3ddh8s

I am sure that a lot of people have such complex passwords. If this is liable to attack, then I really don't know what password i should keep.

Then again, today someone told me that i should stop putting my information on the cloud, if it was that sensitive. So, by his logic, i cannot publish unpublished material which i had compiled for my research, i cannot load my scanned receipts, cannot load my medical documents, cannot load my personal diary and photos.. I mean then what else can i upload? I really would wish to know from the Evangelists what kind of information that they load themselves? Only their grocery lists?

Yeah, and if you put forward facts point by point, some people accuse you of trolling. I mean, are we that jobless to incite someone to respond to our comments, i am not really sure. I am not here sitting all day, and purposefully responding to the Evangelists here to be accused of trolling. And then, someone says that if i am not happy with EN, i should move out. I had really not considered that before, since the services and convenience brought by evernote were too good versus the few shortages, but the greatest danger that i have along with thousands other users expressed fear so far may come true in EN's continued silence on the matter of an improved layer of security. An Evangelist said that it is being implemented currently, i don't see that information in an official forum. If this feature is currently under progress, it needs to be atleast conveyed my Evernote to calm down simmering tensions today. If we got that official assurance, we can wait in the hope that the awesome system will be secure and we can continue to trust Evernote with our data. But sadly, even in the official release, there was no mention of 2 factor. Only, I am not going paranoic. The whole internet is. Just type Evernote in Google and the only information that you will get is the security breach.

This factor has been too dormant for long, and i believe that if this concern is not addressed immediately, then it may be really time for (paranoic) users like me to move else where. All the great features that EN provide come to zilch if the system is much more vulnerable to security breaches.

• Level 5*

Believe me, I'd much rather spend time helping Evernote users with their actual problems worrying/arguing about factors that are well out of my control. One thing that you can do is to stop fixating on Evernote Evangelists. We are not the same, we do not always agree with each other, nor even with everything that Evernote does. If you have a dispute with an individual, be they an Evangelist, Evernote staff, or other Evernote user, then kindly discuss it with them, rather than blabbing vaguely about "well, someone said such-and-such", which yes, makes you just look rather like a troll.

• Level 5*

Hi. I think we are happy to have a discussion about two-factor authentication and security. There are threads dedicated to that, so I encourage you to post there, where you will find a lot of users are also voicing their thoughts. 

I think I can speak for all of the Evangelists by saying: Feel free to say whatever you want about any topic related to Evernote. Evangelists tend to spend more time on the forums than other folks, and post a bit more than most people do, but otherwise, we are just users like you. As for my usage, I have written about it on my website, and in threads like this http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29245-how-to-optimize-your-evernote-experience/#entry173506). 

If you are truly concerned about security, and worried about the privacy of your content, then encrypting files before you put them into Evernote, or using local notebooks is probably your best bet. 

Our Evangelists are users, like you, who are passionate about Evernote. They earned the Evangelist badge by being overwhelmingly helpful to our users.

When I started the Evangelist program, I made the decision to have them add the badge to their existing account rather than have them create a brand new "personna" to login with. I was well aware that in doing this, the personality of the individual people would show through on their posts as well. Indeed, these guys post *a lot*, and when you have thousands of posts, there's going to be some posts that rub people the wrong way.

As jefito said, they most certainly do not agree with each other on everything. They can all instruct you on how to use the "ignore" feature on this board, and that it works on everyone, even Administrators.

For every post by them that may be a tad overly sensitive, however, there's another 50 that is super helpful. Every one of them are the most "liked" people on these boards - even more so than me ;)

And for that, we at Evernote are forever grateful.

• Evernote Expert

Our Evangelists are users, like you, who are passionate about Evernote. They earned the Evangelist badge by being overwhelmingly helpful to our users.

When I started the Evangelist program, I made the decision to have them add the badge to their existing account rather than have them create a brand new "personna" to login with. I was well aware that in doing this, the personality of the individual people would show through on their posts as well. Indeed, these guys post *a lot*, and when you have thousands of posts, there's going to be some posts that rub people the wrong way.

As jefito said, they most certainly do not agree with each other on everything. They can all instruct you on how to use the "ignore" feature on this board, and that it works on everyone, even Administrators.

For every post by them that may be a tad overly sensitive, however, there's another 50 that is super helpful. Every one of them are the most "liked" people on these boards - even more so than me ;)

And for that, we at Evernote are forever grateful.

Any plans to introduce an Evernote "harsh critic" badge? :)

Archived