Evernote Helper in Mac menu mar not working

larrymcj

Idea

I am using the Evernote.com version of Evernote, not the one from the Mac App Store.  When I click on the elephant icon in the Mac menu bar nothing is clickable.  I have settings gear icon on the top left, then a monitor icon, a monitor with lines icon, and a microphone icon.  Clicking on any of these icons does nothing.  At the bottom is a "Save to Evernote" button that also does nothing.  Any idea what's wrong?  I've attached a screenshot of what I see.

post-49787-0-66633100-1362277813_thumb.p

48 replies to this idea

Those are the two appropriate states of the Evernote Helper. Can you not push the "Save to Evernote" button from your logged in state?

FYI: with the Evernote helper running, my console log is filled with these:

03/09/2013 00:42:33.334 EvernoteHelper[10777]: *** -[__NSPlaceholderDictionary initWithObjects:forKeys:count:]: attempt to insert nil object from objects[0]

No such messages when it's not running. Happy to provide console logs if someone is going to look into this. I'm on 5.3.0 b3 at the moment, but the behaviour is the same as in previous versions.

I've experienced the same issue as well, on both my MacBook Air and Mini, and have been ever since the Quick Note feature was added.  The irony is that (I think) I was the one on this forum who first suggested adding this functionality... and I still really, really want to have this this feature, just like in Day One.

I big shout out of gratitude, BTW, to larrymcj for saving us going through all the steps he took to try and resolve.  I did do a near complete reinstall of Evernote (everything wiped out but data using App Cleaner), to no avail, though.  I also deactivated any and all menubar apps to try and nail down possible conflicts, and tried several restarts, but nope, nada, zilch. Finally, I retraced any steps I may have taken last year during the season of two menu bar Elephants bug, but I didn't see anything there.  Along the way I did discover the fun, relatively new Macbartender app and discovered there were some old crapps still hiding out, invisible, in my menu bar, that I was at least able to shed.  

It might be screen resolution related — or maybe screen draw.  I spent an hour monkeying around with it today, but without getting to the bottom of it, either ... and I'm def. not up to a Lion reinstall.  So for now I'm using the vjournal add-in app, which is the only thing with this sort of functionality that actually will work on my system.

I'll keep (semi-)desperately watching this space, Evernote, so please post something here if this issue gets resolved.

@jeromecarney: I appreciate the kind words, but with everyone I've talked to about this...the ONLY thing that fixed it was a reinstall of the OS.  Don't expect any help from Evernote...nice app and nice folks...but it's just never going to get solved.  I needed the functionality of the new Menu Bar Clipper so it was all worth it to me.

Same issue here. 10.8.4 using Evernote 5.2.1

Maybe I'm just lazy, but all possible solution seem far too complex or time consuming for the user to deal with. If this is an Evernote bug, they should provide a patch. 

Thanks everyone who have tried trouble-shooting.

If this is an Evernote bug, they should provide a patch. 

It most definitely is an Evernote bug. 

For me, this is what happens:

If I'm logged out of my account, the Evernote menu bar helper works fine. It also looks completely different to what you see when you're logged in.

Soon as I'm logged it, it's completely broken and unresponsive. 

Logged out Evernote helper menu bar item

Logged in Evernote helper menu bar item

Let's hope that this topic bump brings it back to someone's attention, then.

There's no way I'm re-installing my OS. Certainly not for one software application and in particular because there's no guarantee of a fix. Oddly, my work iMac doesn't have the issue. 

Given the two states of the helper menu I've outlined above, they should be able to track it down. 

Those are the two appropriate states of the Evernote Helper. Can you not push the "Save to Evernote" button from your logged in state?

No, not possible. I can type in the note area, but even that stops working after a while. Not any particular period of time either. None of the other stuff works in that window either.

Since I'd made the effort to whine about this very issue a few months back, I thought I'd log back in to let you know the Helper is now working correctly.  I'm currently running Evernote 5.4.1 and OSX 10.8.5.

I'm not really sure at what point the issue resolved itself since I'd given up using the Helper long ago out of frustration.  Hopefully @larrymcj is still following this thread and the new version will work for him, now, too.

Hello everyone - I suffered through various frustrations to solve this and found a response in another non evernote forum - i just tried it and it works - I was trying to install the evernote clipper for safari but guessed the 'helper' prevented the install - turns out i was right - here is the solution for getting the helper out of your life

--

You can easily stop the helper application, I've done the following and it's stopped loading:

• Open Evernote, and go to preferences
  • On the General tab, turn off the 'Show Elephant in Menu Bar' option
  • On the Shortcut tab, clear all of the shortcuts by clicking the little cross next to them close the preferences window
  • Quit Evernote through Evernote, then quit Evernote from the menu bar
  • Open System Preferences and go to Accounts
  • Select your Account and go to Login Items
  • Highlight Evernote and press the - button to remove it.
  • Close System Preferences and restart your machine.
  • Restart your computer and the Evernote helper does not start.

good luck - hope this helps

dan

I found this thread after googling the problem. I've had Evernote for years but am just now really digging into it. Tried using the menubar helper to take a screenshot, all seems fine until I click on 'save to evernote'. I get the little beep that indicates it's done its thing, but the note never appears in Evernote. Nothing happens. Is this still an issue?

I'm running the app store version 5.5.1 on 10.9.2 of OS X. Would love to get this working. And no way I'm reinstalling my OS to achieve that.

Thanks for any help.

Hi, I too have the problem with Helper.  I'm using 5.5.2, with Mac 10.9.4 on a new MacBook Air.  The helper stopped working properly last week.  (Have been using Evernote for 3 years, and reply on the ability to clip arbitrary content.)  Upon clipping content and clicking "save to evernote," the helper freezes on my screen.  It doesn't transfer the material to a new evernote note nor does it allow be to cut and past the clipping from the dropdown window.  It just hangs.  

Seems similar to many of the other posters' issues.  has this been resolved?  why did it suddenly happen? any alternatives to quick note/helper?

What OS version are you using?

Hi there. I'm using OS 10.6.8, Snow Leopard, and the lastest versions of Evernote and Evernote Helpers. As I typed this the problem seemed to resolve itself, and now I can clip screen shots, which I couldn't before. 

@larrymcj good luck man

I have the latest version 5.0.6 installed on my Mac, running OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion.  When I click on the Evernote Helper in the Mac Menu bar, nothing in it is clickable.  I can't click on the Gear icon for settings, or the other icons at the top of the window.  I can type text in the box below the icons, but can't save it.  Basically, it doesn't work at all.  Any ideas?

@catachresis: if you ever figure this out, please let me know here...I'll do the same.  I'm a geek and have tried everything...complete uninstall/reinstall of Evernote, trashing the plist files, nothing works.  The other symptom I have is that when I open the Evernote Helper window from the Menu Bar icon, in addition to nothing being clickable, in that white space there should be some light grey pre-formatted text that says "Type or drag files here to create a note...." and that is not displaying for me.

@Jackolicious:   Not only tried restarting, but "completely" uninstalled Evernote four times (using AppCleaner) then reinstalled, nothing works.  Also tried uninstalling the Evernote.com version and installing the MAS version two of those four times...exactly the same thing.  Also tried trashing the two evernote plist files a couple of times...that didn't work either.  Currently using Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with all updates and currently have the MAS store version installed.  Another hint...sometimes (like right now) when I click on the Menu Bar elephant, I don't even get the popup window...I just get a shadow outline of it on the top and right side, plus the little up-arrow that connects it to the elephant icon.

The old menu bar helper worked just fine...this problem started with version 5.0.6.

@Jackolicious: Here is a screenshot of what I see when I click on the menu bar elephant (I changed my desktop background to white for the screenshot so you could see it better).  I see the top and right side of the quick note box...that's all.

post-49787-0-80433600-1362626246_thumb.p

@catachresis: that it's working for you may have something to do with the fact you're using Snow Leopard.  I'm using Mountain Lion.  This is really frustrating as there is no real help options unless you use Evernote Premium.  I may have to upgrade just to solve this problem.

I just "completely" uninstalled the MAS version and installed the Evernote.com version.  Signed in and now once in awhile it works and I'm able to click on the icons at the top (and they work) but most of the time nothing works.  The one thing I can do consistently is type in the quick note window.  i can't always save it as an Evernote note, but a few times I was able to.

I think this is simply not ready for prime time yet.  For whatever reason it's working for some people and not others, and unfortunately I'm one of the unlucky ones.  Hopefully, Evernote will get this fixed at some point, but right now I feel they're a little like Google when there's a problem with a Google product.  Google rarely admits to the problem...they just eventually fix it and those affected are happy again.  At least that's what I'm hoping will happen with this problem.  

Although I haven't resolved this problem, I thought I'd post that I have isolated it to my machine...not Evernote itself.  Perhaps what I found will help someone else figure this out.

So, for step one I booted into Safe Mode and then launched "only" Evernote.  This fixed it...the Menu Bar Helper worked just fine.  Then I manually launched every app I normally have automatically load at startup...one app at a time, and after each app loaded I checked to see if the Evernote Helper was working.  I finished loading all apps and the Evernote Helper was still working. 

OK...I figured I'd try that process in reverse, so I did a normal boot, confirmed the Evernote Helper was not working, then one by one, I closed every open app, checking the Evernote Helper after each one.  When I was finished closing all the apps the Evernote Helper was still not running. 

One of these two processes of elimination should have found the culprit causing the Evernote Helper to not function.  I also quit a few processes I knew were associated with apps, even though I'd closed the actual app.

I would try using appcleaner if you don't have any local notebooks and everything is sync'ed. Remove Evernote and reinstall from our website. That might help.

I think I mentioned here ealier...I've installed and uninstalled (using AppCleaner) about a dozen times now and tried both the MAS version and the Evernote.com version, which I'm currently using.  This is being caused by something at the base system level on my computer...not by Evernote, as evidenced by the Helper working in the Safe Boot mode.  If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to post the answer here.

@larrymcj I am experiencing exactly the same problem, and have done many of the 'tests' that you too have carried out. I am on OS 10.7.5.

So, if we compare lists of startup items, we may be able to narrow down the clash. Mine are:

• FonrExplorerXAutoload
  • Alarms
  • ExpanDrive
  • Alfred
  • VMware Fusion Helper
  • Timings
  • Dropbox
  • Mail
  • Growl
  • Wunderlist

Any in common with your list?

@larrymcj I am experiencing exactly the same problem, and have done many of the 'tests' that you too have carried out. I am on OS 10.7.5.

So, if we compare lists of startup items, we may be able to narrow down the clash. Mine are:

• FonrExplorerXAutoload
  • Alarms
  • ExpanDrive
  • Alfred
  • VMware Fusion Helper
  • Timings
  • Dropbox
  • Mail
  • Growl
  • Wunderlist

Any in common with your list?

Andy, the only two in common are Dropbox and Wunderlist. I tried every way possible to isolate the culprit, even adding in all my apps to a new user account...nothing would duplicate the problem, it only happened when I was signed into my primary account.  I have to assume it "was" something in the home folder causing it.  I say "was" because I had been lusting after a new iMac anyway, so bought it, reinstalled all my apps, and the problem is gone.  Not necessarily the most economical fix...but it did work <lol>.

hi! i think i got it. i don't know if this gonna work to you also. i included my screenshot of the Evernote elephant menubar icon before i got fixed it . The Elephant is missing sometime and when clicking the icon it appears just only with that white pointing shape. It its a bird.  :)

Mac OS version 10.6.8

Evernote version Version 5.1.3 (401263) - App Store

For those who gonna try this be caution. Because you will have problems with file permissions.

I think the issue is due to User's Account setup. The issue effects to second user (User ID: 502) even with Administrator account, and also with Standard User Account.

If you have 2 or more user accounts. Look user account with the User ID 501. Its the default or first, main or owner account. That's where the evernote elephant menubar icon has no issue thats working.

Solutions:

- Check your User ID if its on '502' in Preference - Accounts - Advance Options of a user account.

- Change or it must User ID is 501. . . . I change mine just simple from 502 to 501.

- then Reboot. After login the starting of launchers are somewhat slow on my side. But afterwards it seems ok. The evernote elephant menubar icon is working now.

here is a link of how to change the user id: . . .  but I didn't do or try this yet.

Change a user's User ID on Mac OS X (10.6, 10.7, 10.8)

http://www.inteller.net/notes/change-user-id-on-snow-leopard

I suggest, Evernote developer should make an update regarding to this issue.

post-137300-0-31581400-1370504874_thumb.

AndyP: sorry for the late reply but I never received an email about followup posts.  I finally gave up trying to fix this and totally reinstalled Mountain Lion.  No problems since.

yes, because you are using the evernote on the first user account. which is User ID 501 or the default or the owner account.  I think a second or another user account will have User 502 and so on, which in the case the Evernote elephant icon will have the issue.  Try add another user account and run the Evernote and try the Elephant on the menubar. Well, I don't know if that in the same case under Lion.

AndyP: sorry for the late reply but I never received an email about followup posts.  I finally gave up trying to fix this and totally reinstalled Mountain Lion.  No problems since.

Archived