(Archived) Strategy for scanning receipts

Just wondering if I can get some tips for scanning a pile of old receipts.

I'm not sure whether to separate receipts into different categories (car, computer etc) and then scan each respective pile into a different note, and then put that note into a receipts notebook. Or just scan the entire pile into one note and rely on EN's search function to find t hem later? 

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

PS: Is it possible to extract a page (ie a receipt) from one note (not notebook) and move it to another note?

I use tagging... and lumping pretty much everything into 3 buckets... offline, online tagged, and online to be tagged. I'm slowly collapsing all my notebooks due to the great search function combined with tags.

Thanks. I understand the use of tagging going forward but scanning a pile of old receipts makes this difficult. Also tags can only be applied to a note, I think. So if there are a variety of receipts scanned into a single note, this is problematic.

• Level 5*

Just wondering if I can get some tips for scanning a pile of old receipts.

I'm not sure whether to separate receipts into different categories (car, computer etc) and then scan each respective pile into a different note, and then put that note into a receipts notebook. Or just scan the entire pile into one note and rely on EN's search function to find t hem later? 

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

PS: Is it possible to extract a page (ie a receipt) from one note (not notebook) and move it to another note?

Hi.  I scan my receipts individually and scan to folder with an option to edit the filename on the way,  so I can call the file something like "receipt - car - yyyymmdd".  That way a simple intitle: search will find all the receipts for car,  or computer etc,  and I can also search for receipt dates (provided they're actually legible on the receipt) or other information as necessary.

If you scan your receipts in bulk - whether split into categories or not - you will get a large PDF file,  and whilst it's possible to extract a page from one PDF to add to another if you have editing software,  your upload credits will be eaten away as the whole batch of receipts has to be re-uploaded after editing.  If they're in separate notes you can easily retitle a receipt from 'car' to 'computer' if necessary.

On my scanner (S1500) I can scan a pile of paper to individual PDF files,  and I use the automatic dating function to generate titles.  If I sorted the pages into categories I could use a file renamer to add the category name to all files once scanned.

Thanks gazumped, that makes sense. Seems like that the key then is to scan each receipt to a single pdf. Now to see how to get my Fujitsu to do that when scanning in bulk...

• Level 5*

If you have ScanSnap Manager installed,  that should be one of the options under ~Scan Button Settings ~File Option ~Option.. 

I can choose 'multipage PDF' or one file per x pages.

If you have ScanSnap Manager installed,  that should be one of the options under ~Scan Button Settings ~File Option ~Option.. 

I can choose 'multipage PDF' or one file per x pages.

Got it, thanks.

Archived