(Archived) What Pen for Penultimate?

Snoops27

looks right, although its hard to see that in the advert..  thanks! i know they are worried about the 'powered etch' of fine tip pens for a stylus but seems like there is some room to innovate here.

Thanks Rob, I must say the advert makes it look as though it is a fine tipped pen and therefore I feel it's very misleading. Not for me. As Cidiel mentions, surely someone will come up with a finer tipped alternative.

I just got the Jot Pro, and so far it is awful for writing. I'd love to hear if anyone else has figured out how to write letters without the disc clobbering them. I really don't see how one can write with this product. Any letters that have up & down motion seem to get messed up by the disc. I'm trying the Bamboo next.

I got myself a Hand stylus after reading this thread:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/30437-ipad-3-stylus-pens-w-finer-tip/

You'll see from my posts on that thread that I've tried MANY different styli.  But this Hand stylus seems to be the closest I've got by far to a comfortable writing and drawing instrument.  I've now been using it for a few weeks, and I'm STILL happy with it - must be a record! ;)

Hope that helps :)

Actually, I found the jot to be a little easier after some practice. Regarding the Hand sylus, it comes with a lanyard... Is that just to keep it attached to the ipad? In other words, that isn't required to use the sylus I imagine. Thanks for the recommendation!

Having just started with handwriting on my ipad, I have an early model and wonder if this all works better on the new model (except for software not being available.) I've tried other apps, and without a good palm protector, I can't imagine how anyone draws without resting the hand on the ipad screen. Anyway, off to order a Hand...

My other question is about the Bamboo, which is pretty good but it also makes weird tapping noises, as if the rubber tip collapses and makes noise. Hard to describe, but that's one issue I have with it.

My Hand stylus didn't come with a lanyard.  If more recent ones do (and mine is ony a few weeks old), it would only be for hanging it around your neck.  It's not integral to the use of the stylus.  My Hand stylus simply sticks magnetically to the cover of the iPad (I have the original Apple "Magic Cover" with the magnetic edge that puts the iPad to sleep).

The Hand has a smaller tip than any of the others apart from those that use the capacitative plastic disc-type tip, and I just find those awkward to write or draw with.  It's all due to the limitation of the resolution of the detection of the iPad, which was never designed as a stylus pad (i.e. Not like a Wacom).  The Bamboo tip, for me, is just way too big and floppy - I can't place it precisely, even doing things like crossing 't's or dotting 'i's.  Let alone completing a square or a circle at the same point as I started!  With the Hand, I can do that.

It's also retractable, so it doesn't gather pocket fluff on the rubber tip.

• 5 months later...

Thanks to all of you for the posts. I am in the market for one myself and found the advert for the Jaja pretty compelling: http://www.hex3.co/products/jaja

(Nightstalker, this is an Australian product, so maybe you've heard of it and given it a test?)

That said, after a search, it looks like there are a lot of you who are happy with the Hand stylus, which is significantly less expensive than the Jaja and doesn't requires batteries or bluetooth to function.

But how much precision does it deliver? Is it fine for simple list making but horrible for pararaphs/lengthier texts?

• 2 weeks later...

I've used about a dozen different styli over the past three years and have finally found one that I think is perfect. I got the Cross Tech 3 pen and have found it to be incredibly responsive and accurate. I have spent over $40 on a stylus before (the Maglus), and nothing comes close to the ease with which I can write with the Cross Tech 3. Penultimate is so much easier to use with it.

And, the Cross Tech 3 has two pens and a pencil...which makes it super functional.

I rarely get so obsessive with a product, but I bought a pen for both my wife and my brother...they've both said it's the best stylus they've ever used.

I think the pen ranges from $30-$40 on Amazon in the US. The link is here. It's not a referral link...I have no dog in the hunt here. I have loved this pen though!

Thanks, Rick! Question: Reading through the Amazon reviews, I noticed that one user reported that the stylus grew less responsive/functional with regular use. Not sure how, but maybe you could comment on your own experience? And how thick is it for line drawing?

I am in the market still. (Currently making do with the "vau Stylus Plus," a stylus plus pen that is probably close to your recommendation but hella cheaper and really just a finger replacement. Good quality for that though. Seems to be only available here in Europe though.)

Thanks, Rick! Question: Reading through the Amazon reviews, I noticed that one user reported that the stylus grew less responsive/functional with regular use. Not sure how, but maybe you could comment on your own experience? And how thick is it for line drawing?

I am in the market still. (Currently making do with the "vau Stylus Plus," a stylus plus pen that is probably close to your recommendation but hella cheaper and really just a finger replacement. Good quality for that though. Seems to be only available here in Europe though.)

In other styli I've used, the tip has definitely grown less responsive over time. There are several that offer replaceable nibs...as does the Cross Tech 3. The replaceable tips were about $3 each.

The writing is by far the most precise I've ever had. My handwriting on paper is nearly replicated on Penultimate, so I'm quite happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good info on all the different Styli out there. I have so,e other sketching apps that require the Pogo Smart connect stylus which works with Bluetooth. It's pretty expensive and before I think any further on purchasing it I was wondering if it would work with this app too. Anyone ever used the Pogo?

Archived