I'm losing faith in Evernote..FAST. LOST NOTES. AGAIN

This is the 3rd time now that I lost notes!  I am NOT a premium customer, but I don't see that should make a difference.   The scary thing is that God knows WHAT else I have lost. I have hundreds of notes now.   Does anyone have this experience or know how to recapture the data off a Mac?  I tried going into Time machine, but have no idea where the data is kept.  Notes History is not something I can access as a non premium user.  HELP    

This is the 3rd time now that I lost notes! I am NOT a premium customer, but I don't see that should make a difference. The scary thing is that God knows WHAT else I have lost. I have hundreds of notes now. Does anyone have this experience or know how to recapture the data off a Mac? I tried going into Time machine, but have no idea where the data is kept. Notes History is not something I can access as a non premium user. HELP

No users should lose notes regardless if they are free or premium. What client(s) are you using? IME & IME on these boards, most of the time a user loses data, it's b/c they are using multiple computers/devices & not syncing before/after changing notes. Using a cloud based app requires you sync changes UP after changing on one device/computer. Then sync changes down before altering those notes on the other device & then syncing those changes UP .

• Level 5*

This is the 3rd time now that I lost notes!  I am NOT a premium customer, but I don't see that should make a difference.   The scary thing is that God knows WHAT else I have lost. I have hundreds of notes now.   Does anyone have this experience or know how to recapture the data off a Mac?  I tried going into Time machine, but have no idea where the data is kept.  Notes History is not something I can access as a non premium user.  HELP    

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear about your loss!

(1) See this thread for the location of your files http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35283-where-are-the-files-saved-to-on-my-mac/?p=191222

(2) If you ever experience data loss, I highly recommend contacting customer support (see the link in my signature) and starting a support ticket. They can also give you access to note histories.

(3) Could you explain what happened? This is awfully vague. What version # are you using, what were you doing when you lost them, have you checked the trash, have you checked your account on www.evernote.com, etc., etc.? The more data we have, the more we can help. In my experience, it is pretty difficult to lose data, and certainly not three times in a row, so hopefully we'll be able to track it down and get stuff sorted out for you  :)

WRT getting notes from your backup, please search the board on 'restore'. Here's one thread that illustrates how to *totally* restore from a backup. If you want to restore only a few notes, it gets a bit more complicated but is doable. You basically retain the live database by doing a rename, restore from a good backup, export the notes in enex format, restore the live database & import the enex file. I don't use a Mac, so I can't be more specifc.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/21651-i-need-to-totally-restore-from-time-machine-how/

This has happened to me and I thought I was losing my mind. The only one I NOTICED was lost about a month ago. But I just noticed another groups of lost notes TODAY. This is really

unbelievable. I had client progress notes in there and really want to get these notes back.

I'm using evernote basic/free version, on a mac, and I ONLY use it on this computer, rarely access online, NEVER access from another computer.

totally unacceptable. i'm at a loss.

OK, I just looked in the TRASH folder on my computer-based evernote and the files were there!!!!! so how in the heck did they get there?!?!?!? and what do i need to be doing to make a backup? i thought the syncing feature was good enough. thanks.

• Level 5*

OK, I just looked in the TRASH folder on my computer-based evernote and the files were there!!!!! so how in the heck did they get there?!?!?!? and what do i need to be doing to make a backup? i thought the syncing feature was good enough. thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you found everything.

I couldn't tell you why the notes were in the trash. You'd have to share your activity logs with us, or invite us over for a cup of tea to get to the bottom of that one. However, it does happen to people on occasion (me too), so there is probably work to be done on the interface. The notes don't just magically move there, of course, but I think user error (mine as well) is often at the root of it. 

Anyhow, Evernote is quite trustworthy, but I never trust anything (if that makes sense) and keep multiple backups of all my files. I have had too many experiences over the years with data loss (lost files, broken drives, corrupted files, etc.). Time Machine is the easiest to set up for most people. It just works. After that, you can develop various schemes with external hard drives in multiple physical locations (my system), CrashPlan (other people like this), or some other alternative. It depends on your situation. Everyone with a Mac, though, ought to be using Time Machine (in my opinion), because it is so powerful, easy to use, and free!

• 3 weeks later...

I have EN on a couple of devices set to synch every 15 minutes.

I find that saved attachments get lost most days now. Support recommended the following process which I now perform everyday:

1. Backup the database and attachments

2. Use Revo to completely uninstall EN

3. Reinstall EN and perform a synch which downloads everything again (takes about an hour or two)

It's a reliable solution to an irritating problem.

Max

I find that saved attachments get lost most days now. Support recommended the following process which I now perform everyday:

3. Reinstall EN and perform a synch which downloads everything again (takes about an hour or two)

Max

Really? You do this every day??? As avid as I am about EN, *I*wouldn't do this every day. If you're losing data every day, it really sounds like you're not letting your computers/devices sync when moving between them. Eventhough they are set to sync every 15 minutes, that doesn't mean changes made on computer A have been synced UP to the EN servers and then synced DOWN to computer B, if you move to computer B 20 minutes later. (Because it may take computer A 15 minutes to sync the changes UP and another 10 after that for computer B to sync the changes DOWN). Please read this post & be sure you're following this procedure:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20092-not-very-happy-right-now/?p=101095

Max

Additionally, this is in the Mac section. Revo uninstaller is Windows only.

Sorry about the Mac thing - I came here straight via a Google link so didn't notice.

I only use the other machines (which do however also auto sync every 15 minutes) once every couple of months so the problem genesis doesn't lie in sync (I don't think).

But a clean daily install really does do the trick.

I have lost notes three times in the past three weeks.  This happened a few times at the end of the year, last year.  And it happened last summer.  I am not a novice to working in the cloud, so Evernote tech's, please don't start posting suggestions that it is user error.  It is your system.

The latest problems occurred with Evernote's forced password debacle.  In my circle of friends, there are no less than 6 of us who lost notes in that mess.  The cost to me losing those notes?  Mine included key contact information I had gathered while networking for a position and a seminar that was quite costly to attend.  And, oh, some 6 months of notes I have been taking for research.  I have been able to retrieve half of those notes because I was copying and pasting into Word for fear of exactly what has happened.  And backups, forget it folks.  I have been down that road with techs emailing me with the exact location of backups that do not exist.

It is clear that Evernote is not there yet.   Perhaps they have reached that threshold so many company's do where the size of the company and the scope of the work exceeds the leadership's ability to manage effectively.  Perhaps reliability in the cloud is beyond technology's reach right now?  Who knows?  What I do know is there are way too many people complaining about losing notes for this to simply be user error.  Hopefully Evernote will turn it around -- I have my doubts.  

I have lost notes three times in the past three weeks. This happened a few times at the end of the year, last year. And it happened last summer. I am not a novice to working in the cloud, so Evernote tech's, please don't start posting suggestions that it is user error. It is your system.

The latest problems occurred with Evernote's forced password debacle. In my circle of friends, there are no less than 6 of us who lost notes in that mess. The cost to me losing those notes? Mine included key contact information I had gathered while networking for a position and a seminar that was quite costly to attend. And, oh, some 6 months of notes I have been taking for research. I have been able to retrieve half of those notes because I was copying and pasting into Word for fear of exactly what has happened. And backups, forget it folks. I have been down that road with techs emailing me with the exact location of backups that do not exist.

It is clear that Evernote is not there yet. Perhaps they have reached that threshold so many company's do where the size of the company and the scope of the work exceeds the leadership's ability to manage effectively. Perhaps reliability in the cloud is beyond technology's reach right now? Who knows? What I do know is there are way too many people complaining about losing notes for this to simply be user error. Hopefully Evernote will turn it around -- I have my doubts.

First, as you can see from my sig, I don't work for EN.

Second, you had six months of important notes you didn't have backed up??? IMO, it doesn't should like you are as experienced at cloud usage as you think. Or even computer usage. Backups are imperative for important information b/c you never know what's going to happen between cloud services, hardware failure/loss/theft/etc. There is a very reliable way of backing up your database on the Mac and Windows clients. So if you blow it off b/c of "techs emailing me with the exact location of backups that do not exist" and then continue to put important information into EN, then that just plain goofy. Sorry, but certainly in this case, a big part of the data loss is your own lack of having backups of important information.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forums,

I think you are perhaps getting a bit annoyed because you 'appear' to have notes gone missing. But to suggest that no Evernote tech can tell you what to do as you are not a novice to working in the cloud, is a bit of a tough stance to take. You are hardly likely to get anywhere if you tell people not to help you!

As it happens, I think you need to read a lot of the information that is on this thread, let alone what is available throughout the forum. Remember that the people on the forum are few, there are 50 million users, I doubt the majority of those have been loosing their Notes! And if they did, I am sort of guessing they would ask for help!

The major reason, which has already been pointed out for 'lost' notes, is due to the lack of syncing before shutting down. Even though you may have your Evernote set up to sync at 15 minutes intervals, if you type Notes, then shut your computer down, it is not likely that your information will have been uploaded to the 'cloud'.  This is a typical reason for this problem, but not of course the only one. We always recommend you sync before shutting down. It just needs to become a routine.

If this doesn't answer your problem, as has already been suggested to others and if you can bear to be helped, I suggest you get a support ticket raised as soon as possible.

Best regards

Chris

Folks

I have to say I agree with Steve. I sync every 15 minutes and hardly ever shut my pc down. Yet I find attachments frequently get lost (and no, they're not in garbage). Fortunately I do a local back up everyday and also do a clean reinstall everyday so it works fine for me now.

I do get the impression that Support feel users are idiots and always just trot out the same advice i.e. rename database, clean reinstall, etc etc. In fact I reported server errors a number of times during the week of the hacking which were just ignored.

So I think as a product and as far as Support goes, EN have a way to go. But I wouldn't do without it for a moment,

Max

• Level 5*

I do get the impression that Support feel users are idiots and always just trot out the same advice i.e. rename database, clean reinstall, etc etc. In fact I reported server errors a number of times during the week of the hacking which were just ignored.

Support folks don't have it easy. There are a myriad ways something could go wrong with an installation, so one thing that they try to do is make sure the basics are covered, and one way to do that is to try to get to a good starting point (via clean reinstall, etc.). Remember, it's tedious for them, too, but if these measures didn't work a significant portion of the time, they wouldn't continue to suggest them.

Folks

I have to say I agree with Steve. I sync every 15 minutes and hardly ever shut my pc down. Yet I find attachments frequently get lost (and no, they're not in garbage). Fortunately I do a local back up everyday and also do a clean reinstall everyday so it works fine for me now.

So I think as a product and as far as Support goes, EN have a way to go. But I wouldn't do without it for a moment,

Max

I'm pretty sure your reports were not ignored. I do suspect they were pretty busy that week. Please post your ticket number(s).  If they did fall through a crack, I'm sure EN would want to be made aware of this by following up on your ticket number(s).

While I admit that unknown data loss can be terrifying, I am curious as to when the notes are disappearing.  Are they synchronized and disappearing?  Unsynchronized and disappearing?  Do certain clients lose notes more often?

1. I agree that support offer the same solution each time because they work most of the time. The next step is to start personalizing by categorizing users e.g. based on whether they are constantly experiencing the same recurring problem, and the users level of expertise e.g. I've had the odd letter of thanks for pointing out "undocumented features" so when I point out an issue, they should know that I've probably tried most standard fixes.

2. I think the lost attachments issue occurs when you sync while an attachment is open. In this case EN downloads the version it has. Then the next time you open the attachment, it adds a suffix of (n) to the temporary attachments store. This in turn leads to multiple versions and before you know it attachments start getting lost.

3. Here are some ticket numbers where I told EN they were having server difficulties while they were being hacked. I wish they'd paid more attention or even just acknowledged my observations:

Ticket #16051-245870

Ticket # 16051-243951

Max

If anyone is interested, here are my replies from EN when I told them they had server issues while they were being hacked. Note how eventually they acknowledged I was correct, but imagine if they'd looked at their servers the first time, acknowledged that I'm not an idiot based on past correspondence, and jumped at my warning instead of telling me how to repair FireFox! :) I love the "there's no bug reported" - did they hope the hackers would leave a calling card...? :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

We're sorry about this issue but there's no bug reported at the
web server, sometimes is just an Add on bloking at some websites you
have to login. Can you please disable the current addons you got on
Firefox then try again? Those are the steps:

Disabling an add-on will turn it off without removing it:

1. At the top of the Firefox window, click on the
    Tools menu
    , and then click Add-ons. The Add-ons Manager tab will open.

2. In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the Extensions or Appearance or Plugins panel.
  3. Select the add-on you wish to disable.
  4. Click the Disable button.
  5. Click Restart now if it pops up. Your tabs will be saved and restored after the restart.

To re-enable the add-on, find it in the list of Add-ons and click
Enable, then restart Firefox.

Tell us if it work!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you please attempt to recreate the issue you are experiencing, click the Sync button, and then:

1. In the menu, go to: Help > Activity Log...
  2. Click the "Save" button in that window to save your log to a file
  3. Please
    reply to this email and attach that file as an attachment to your reply
    (don't try to paste it into your reply, since it may be very large).

This will give us detailed information about the issue you are having, so that we may assist you better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're
truly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you this morning. We
are attempting to contact our entire userbase about this matter, but we
feel that immediate action in these cases
is the most prudent course.

Evernote’s
Operations & Security team has discovered and blocked suspicious
activity on the Evernote network that appears to have been a coordinated
attempt to access secure areas of the
Evernote Service.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

This is unbelievable. I changed my mac machine to a new one. I logged to my Evernote app and the most important note disappeared. It has all of my TODO items for 5 months. I am screwed up!

Hi. Sorry to hear that. I recommend contacting customer support (see the link in my signature) and checking your note version history on the Web service if you are Premium.

• 1 month later...

I've also had note attachments missing. As much as I love Evernote, I can't believe why on earth they haven't implemented full encryption yet. Now and then we learn their network has been accessed, and they still have not adopted full encryption. I wonder why that is.

Has this issue been solved by them?

I've also had note attachments missing. As much as I love Evernote, I can't believe why on earth they haven't implemented full encryption yet. Now and then we learn their network has been accessed, and they still have not adopted full encryption. I wonder why that is.

Has this issue been solved by them?

The topic of encryption has been discussed a lot already. Please use the search function.

As an aside, I'm not sure why your post seems to indicate you think losing an attachment & encryption are related.

The topic of encryption has been discussed a lot already. Please use the search function.

As an aside, I'm not sure why your post seems to indicate you think losing an attachment & encryption are related.

I'm not sure either why my post suggested that to you???

I'm not sure either why my post suggested that to you???

Maybe because... That's the way it reads.

Well, I guess that's the major drawback of not being a native speaker... I must say though that I specifically made a reference to Evernote network being accessed as per Max10000's post, which stirred up older fears.

Anyway, the main problem described in this thread is about attachments gone missing and I've also been affected by it. Whether or not the two things are connected is a question that only the Evernote personnel can confirm but I don't expect they will do.

Well, I guess that's the major drawback of not being a native speaker... I must say though that I specifically made a reference to Evernote network being accessed as per Max10000's post, which stirred up older fears.

Anyway, the main problem described in this thread is about attachments gone missing and I've also been affected by it. Whether or not the two things are connected is a question that only the Evernote personnel can confirm but I don't expect they will do.

You combined two issues into one & so that's why I was asking the question.

• Level 5

Let's keep this on topic. The original poster said they lost data but haven't come back here to discuss/explain.

Data loss is a rare issue that we take seriously. Let's wait to hear back from the OP if possible.

• Level 5*

Let's keep this on topic. The original poster said they lost data but haven't come back here to discuss/explain.

Data loss is a rare issue that we take seriously. Let's wait to hear back from the OP if possible.

It might be a long wait. The OP hasn't logged into the forums since February. It looks like the last person to post about notes being lost was user "middleEastern." Hopefully, we can hear back from him to see if he has contacted support and resolved the issue. 

It might be a long wait. The OP hasn't logged into the forums since February. It looks like the last person to post about notes being lost was user "middleEastern." Hopefully, we can hear back from him to see if he has contacted support and resolved the issue.

I also lost notes and contacted Evernote support. By checking note history I found out that a previous version contained all attachments and the present version was empty for some reason. Support told me to contacted them again in case it happened again, and they also confirmed they had been able to reproduce the case.
  • Level 5*

I also lost notes and contacted Evernote support. By checking note history I found out that a previous version contained all attachments and the present version was empty for some reason. Support told me to contacted them again in case it happened again, and they also confirmed they had been able to reproduce the case.

Thanks for getting back to us! I am glad to hear that you were able to locate the attachments. Could you let us know the support ticket number? That might help Evernote staff/developers to look up the issue and see the details. Thanks.

Thanks for getting back to us! I am glad to hear that you were able to locate the attachments. Could you let us know the support ticket number? That might help Evernote staff/developers to look up the issue and see the details. Thanks.

Sure, it's Ticket# 99998

• 3 months later...

I am getting tired of having to uninstall and then installing Evernote to see my notes.

Yes, I can see my notes after uninstall and then reinstall. But do I have to do this EVERY DAY? It's becoming tiresome.

I've been doing it for a week straight. Ever since upgrading to 5.4.3. I loved Evernote. Now I will have to seek an alternative.

Tom, have you talked to support? If not, I'd recommend submitting a support request.

I have not talked with support. I am not a premium member. It is my understanding I will not get help from Evernote support without being a premium member.

Tom, have you talked to support? If not, I'd recommend submitting a support request.

I have not talked with support. I am not a premium member. It is my understanding I will not get help from Evernote support without being a premium member.

Please read my sig.

• Level 5

I'm not big on chat service for technical issues - too informal for me.

The written support request works better for me.

Support does helps the free users. They will get back to you.

But the paid premium users get faster priority 1-business day service.

Might be worth your while to pay the 5 bucks for a 1 month subscription to get faster service.

If you don't want to do that, then submit a support request - you will get an answer after the premium users are taken care of.

Edit: I have found it safer to wait a month or two before jumping into new releases. I let the more adventuresome individuals work out the bugs while I sit on the sidelines.

• 3 months later...

Have to say I'm going back to typing notes in Word and then saving them in Evernote for access on phones etc.  I just spend hours and hours over a few days updating a very long note only to check back though it today to find the vast majority of changes are not there.  So I now have to do it all again!!!  I won't however be making the mistake of doing ANY editing in Evernote again!!  Not impressed.

Have to say I'm going back to typing notes in Word and then saving them in Evernote for access on phones etc.  I just spend hours and hours over a few days updating a very long note only to check back though it today to find the vast majority of changes are not there.  So I now have to do it all again!!!  I won't however be making the mistake of doing ANY editing in Evernote again!!  Not impressed.

I can understand your frustration though I do want to point out that your experience is definitely a rare one. It is not common to experience this type of problem at all, let alone on a regular basis. As a heavy taker of text notes in Evernote on both my Mac and my iOS devices, I have not experienced this once in about 3 years. Now, this is one anecdote against another, but if these forums are any indication, the number of forum users who share your experience is rather small. 

Again, this is not to take away from the gravity of your experience, losing data is terrible and shouldn't occur. But thankfully it is only a rare occurrence. 

Yup, rare but for me it's not something I want to happen again.  I simply don't want to have to spend hours typing everything out again JUST to get back to where I was before Evernote opted not to save the data already entered.  We're talking hours here, not just a few lines.

What I can't figure is how it's happened.  What with constantly pressing the sync button, one wonders what else can be done to ENSURE entries are updated.  Suffce it to say though that for me, my interest, in this case, is learning foreign languages, not typing into Evernote.

Yup, rare but for me it's not something I want to happen again.  I simply don't want to have to spend hours typing everything out again JUST to get back to where I was before Evernote opted not to save the data already entered.  We're talking hours here, not just a few lines.

What I can't figure is how it's happened.  What with constantly pressing the sync button, one wonders what else can be done to ENSURE entries are updated.  Suffce it to say though that for me, my interest, in this case, is learning foreign languages, not typing into Evernote.

Fair enough Adey, that sounds very frustrating. That is a lot of time to lose.

I realize you may have already given up, but if you are looking to get a bit more insight have you opened a support ticket? Support might be able to shed some light... maybe (sometimes these things are elusive).

Nevertheless, it is a shame that your experience was so poor! 

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found that I lost my Note data too.  I am a casual user and simply put my note and data into one file called reference.  I collected quite a few important data in there.  The Evernote software were updated a few days ago.  Today, I went to add new data into my reference note, and nearly scream....all my data that I collected in the past months are gone.  The note still there, but has old contents of 4 months ago.  What happened?  I went online and found the same thing there.  I use it on my Window 7 machine and occationally on iPhone.  Is it possible that the contents of the iPhone got uploaded and overwritten the one on the server and on the Window 7?  I don't even know what I have lost, just a lot.  Do EverNote back up data somewhere that I can request them to restore it back to a month ago data?

I just found that I lost my Note data too.  I am a casual user and simply put my note and data into one file called reference.  I collected quite a few important data in there.  The Evernote software were updated a few days ago.  Today, I went to add new data into my reference note, and nearly scream....all my data that I collected in the past months are gone.  The note still there, but has old contents of 4 months ago.  What happened?  I went online and found the same thing there.  I use it on my Window 7 machine and occationally on iPhone.  Is it possible that the contents of the iPhone got uploaded and overwritten the one on the server and on the Window 7?  I don't even know what I have lost, just a lot.  Do EverNote back up data somewhere that I can request them to restore it back to a month ago data?

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20092-not-very-happy-right-now/?p=101095

If you have a premium account, you can pull note history, which is taken once about every eight hours. If you are not premium, you can get a month of premium for $5 USD.

BurgersNFries, I am not a premium account.  If I pay for the premium now, do you know if I can get the note history even if I was not a premium before?  Do they backup all accounts or just premium account?

BurgersNFries, I am not a premium account.  If I pay for the premium now, do you know if I can get the note history even if I was not a premium before?  Do they backup all accounts or just premium account?

Yes, note history is taken for all accounts. But only premium users have access to it. If you upgrade, you will be able to pull the note history. Good luck!

• Level 5

Data loss is not an acceptable outcome for our users. I'm very sorry that this has happened. 

Please submit a support request. In cases of data loss, we will provide the ability to get your note history if it exists on our service.

Thanks for posting and letting us know. We'll follow up internally.

I am glad to report back that I got my data back.  I reported to Evernote and Greg from EN got back to me almost right away.  Since I am not a premium user, Greg granted me a one week premium account and I was able to go online and browse the history and got my data back.  I am happy with that.

I reviewed my few notes I have, and it was only one note that got its contents changed.  My version of EN got updated on Tuesday.  The data was lost on Thursday for no appearance reason.  I always have my Note opens.  I did not use Note on Thursday and when I went to add stuff on Friday that when I noticed that the contents were missing.  The folder was there, only many of the contents were missing.  That was very strange.  The only abnormal things about it was that on Thursday, my PC (Windows 7) crashed.  I am not sure if that is the cause of the problem or not.  My advice is either go premium or export your important note occationally...just in case.

• Level 5*

I am glad to report back that I got my data back.  I reported to Evernote and Greg from EN got back to me almost right away.  Since I am not a premium user, Greg granted me a one week premium account and I was able to go online and browse the history and got my data back.  I am happy with that.

I reviewed my few notes I have, and it was only one note that got its contents changed.  My version of EN got updated on Tuesday.  The data was lost on Thursday for no appearance reason.  I always have my Note opens.  I did not use Note on Thursday and when I went to add stuff on Friday that when I noticed that the contents were missing.  The folder was there, only many of the contents were missing.  That was very strange.  The only abnormal things about it was that on Thursday, my PC (Windows 7) crashed.  I am not sure if that is the cause of the problem or not.  My advice is either go premium or export your important note occationally...just in case.

Great to hear that it worked out for you. I have some advice on backups (see the link below), but you can find other advice in the forums as well.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=962

• 5 months later...

Lost all my notes as well. Pulling my hair out. 

This is understandably frustrating, but lets be realistic and recognize that, as you yourself point out in another thread BEFORE you made the above post, you haven't actually LOST any notes:

Yes, I actually saw a similar post, logged in online and everything seems to be there. Whew. That got me worried for a second. 

I uninstalled and am re installing now. 

Having troubles with one of the Evernote applications is a very different problem than data loss. 

• 3 months later...

Hello

I lost all my local notebooks today in an updrade from a legacy Evernote 2.2.3 to current version.

During upgrade, where does Evernote put the LOCAL notes and Notebooks during updgrade?

I like the local only feature to store more sensitive information or data that I want to get to when I'm (rarely but usually when important) not connected to the network. I travel, and sometimes in remote areas. Again, there's also info that I don't want on the wire.

Thanks!  

• 1 year later...

I lost all content in a single note that is reasonably important to me. It's called "ToDo". I opened a trouble ticket and sent my log file to Evernote a day ago. I've not yet heard back so I started looking around this support forum and the Internet at large.

It looks like I'll have to upgrade to Premium to retrieve my note content if I want it.

I've been using Time Machine on OS X but it's not clear where Evernote keeps its data other than in the cloud. I thought it would be safe there, perhaps not. It is possible that I somehow deleted the content of my file before syncing with the cloud thereby essentially telling Evernote that the note should contain no data.

I'll need to be much more careful with Evernote from now forward.

Are there API's that I can use to work with Evernote? I'd like to use some API and command line to set up backups instead of working with the GUI.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I had a local notebook sync some new notes to the Evernote cloud, creating that supposedly "local" notebook in the online version of Evernote.  I'm Premium by the way.  So when I deleted the online version of the "local" notebook, the "local" version of that notebook deleted and all my notes synced to the Evernote cloud.  I lost 15 notes in this process.

I mainly use Evernote as a repository for all my files.  Luckily, I've kept all the same files in folders on my hard drive for the past three years.  Recently, I planned to delete them, since I use Evernote exclusively.  I think I might scrap Evernote instead.  This one little issue has caused me about 6 hours of hassle with about another 6 hours to undo this.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, GHall said:

Recently, I had a local notebook sync some new notes to the Evernote cloud, creating that supposedly "local" notebook in the online version of Evernote.

Thats a serious bug - I would open a support ticket if it happens again.

>>This one little issue has caused me about 6 hours of hassle with about another 6 hours to undo this.
I have personal backups and would be looking there for for lost notes if I couldn't find them in the Trash notebook.

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thats a serious bug - I would open a support ticket if it happens again.

>>This one little issue has caused me about 6 hours of hassle with about another 6 hours to undo this.
I have personal backups and would be looking there for for lost notes if I couldn't find them in the Trash notebook.

I just opened a support ticket.  Funny thing, this is the first time I've ever had an issue with Evernote; yet, my level of trust has dropped.  I bought into the idea of remembering everything.  How can I do that if I cannot trust that the information will be there?

One thing that has bothered me during the past year or so is the huge influx of new features.  EN is getting bloated.

Archived