Keyboard Shortcut for Pausing Evernote Audio Notes

Raam Dev

Idea

I transcribe my Evernote audio notes once a week from within Evernote, pressing play on the audio note and then transcribing right below. However, sometimes I need to pause the audio to catch up. Taking my hands off the keyboard to press 'Pause' with the mouse is extremely inconvenient and I cannot seem to find a keyboard shortcut to pause the audio.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to pause Evernote Audio Notes on the Mac Evernote client?

• Like 7

14 replies to this idea

I can't seem to find any answer to this question either.  Are there keyboard shortcuts for pausing and controlling audio playback?  I transcribe my notes and would love to see keys to pause audio, go back 5 seconds, slow audio down or up by 25%, and other audio hot keys.  

Did anyone answer this elsewhere at any other time?  

How else do people manage playback?  

Thank you.  

• Like 1

I am also very interested in figuring this out. I love the audio recording capability while driving in my car, but transcribing at home is a chore without shortcut keys to pause, go back 15 seconds, skip 15 seconds, different speeds, etc. Basically similar to podcast type controls. Ideally with simple hot keys (e.g. ctrl - space for pause). Any thoughts on how to hack a simple hotkey / shortcut key? Perhaps a special script?

Many months later, is there any command for this?  If it were simply a menu command, I could automate that with my Mac to a keyboard shortcut and use it with the PowerMate controller.  This would be very helpful and I'm shocked there's no way to deal with it.

A shortcut would be great. This WORKAROUND  might help in the mean time:  I point my mouse at the play/pause button and start typing. I hit the Apple Touchpad everytime I want to stop or start the audio. When I type or navigate through the text I only use the keyboard.
Works with a mouse as well but that requires more accuracy.    

• Like 1

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that wants this. I'm stabbing at the tiny pause/play button on my iPad mini, and it sometimes takes six goes to make it stop, so then I've got to slide the slider, and then it's a while before the bit I need etc. 

I make audio notes - long ones - every day, and transcription can be a real chore. I've been wanting a keyboard shortcut for years. 

Podcasty functionality would be great, but I would happily settle for stop/start from a key combo. 

Please! 

PS - it's now 4 years - FOUR YEARS! - since Raam Dev raised this topic. Come on, Evernote. I'm paying by the month...

• Like 3

I too would love to see this! Transcribing interviews is a real pain having to move back and forth between the mouse. Instead I'm using Quicktime.

Should this ever get picked up, what would be really handy would be a skip shortcut too. For example, being able to quickly skip back 10 seconds at the touch of a button.

• Like 1

I, too, would dearly love a keyboard shortcut for start/stop playback. (A shortcut for starting/stopping a recording would be great, too - but not as crucial for me.)

In the meantime, I have bought ExpressScribe (separate program by another developer) to fill the gap until Evernote can do it. 

To use ExpressScribe, you need to use it to open an audio file. The magic of ExpressScribe is that you can set system-wide hot-keys for start/stop playback, fast-forward, rewind, jump-forward a few seconds, jump back a few seconds. With these enabled on your Mac (there's also a Windows version) you have the basic functionality we're requesting - with the inconvenience of 1) needing to install and run another program and 2) having to drag your audio file from Evernote directly into ExpressScribe.

So far, that's the best work-around I've found!

Doug