(Archived) Sharing Notebooks & Notes - PLEASE HELP!

sswindon

Idea

I am struggling to understand how sharing information in Evernote is going to work for me.  I know this has been covered in many other threads but I cannot find any specific references to my issues.  Please feel free to point me in the right direction if you know of any relevant threads.

My situation is as follows.  My wife and I are both Evernote Premium users and have a number of shared notebooks however we cannot see how she can put notes into notebooks I have shared with her or vice versa.  When I select a note in my inbox and look for any notebooks she has shared with me I cannot see them.  Similarly she cannot see any notebooks I have shared with her.

We also have issues with tags on shared notebooks.  When I share notebooks with her she can see the tags in the note but these tags do not appear in her general tag list hence she is not able to search on them.  In addition neither of us is able to add tags to notes in notebooks which have been shared with us.

We both love Evernote for our own data but the collaboration features would seem to fall woefully short of that implied by the advertising blurb on the Evernote website.  

From what I have read I am not the only one who finds the Evernote sharing functionality bewildering to understand and very limiting.  Any help on this is much appreciated.  I have raised this with Evernote Support by my experience of the support team in the past has been somewhat frustrating.

12 replies to this idea

My situation is as follows.  My wife and I are both Evernote Premium users and have a number of shared notebooks however we cannot see how she can put notes into notebooks I have shared with her or vice versa.  When I select a note in my inbox and look for any notebooks she has shared with me I cannot see them.  

You cannot move notes from your account to an account that is shared to you. You will need to export to enex, then import the enex file into the target account.

Edit by Jackolicious: You absolutely can.

Sorry but what do you mean by "enex"?  

I am not talking about moving notes to another account but moving notes from a personal notebook into a notebook which has been shared with me by my wife.  I'm sure I have read somewhere on the Evernote website that you can add notes to a notebook which has been shared with you so long as you have modification rights.

Sorry but what do you mean by "enex"?

I am not talking about moving notes to another account but moving notes from a personal notebook into a notebook which has been shared with me by my wife. I'm sure I have read somewhere on the Evernote website that you can add notes to a notebook which has been shared with you so long as you have modification rights.

Enex is the format to export/import. You can create new notes in notebooks shared to you. The scenario you are describing is moving a note from one account to another. You cannot *move* a note from one account to another. Another option is to email the note directly to the other's account, using the EN email address assigned. It's found by going to the web client & looking under settings.

Edit by Jackolicious

Thanks for the clarification.  Wow, that would seem to be an unbelievable limitation for a tool which claims to be a collaboration tool.  How does this work if you have a project team collaborating on the same project?  Surely when each of them create a note or capture information by default it will go into their "inbox" notebook or equivalent which they would quite rightly expect to be able to move to the shared project notebook.  From what you have said the only way this can happen is if they export the note then reimport it to the account with the shared notebook or mail the note to the Evernote address for the notebook owner who would then have to move the note to the shared notebook - clunky to say the least and arguably, unusable.

Thanks for the clarification.  Wow, that would seem to be an unbelievable limitation for a tool which claims to be a collaboration tool.  How does this work if you have a project team collaborating on the same project?  Surely when each of them create a note or capture information by default it will go into their "inbox" notebook or equivalent which they would quite rightly expect to be able to move to the shared project notebook.  From what you have said the only way this can happen is if they export the note then reimport it to the account with the shared notebook or mail the note to the Evernote address for the notebook owner who would then have to move the note to the shared notebook - clunky to say the least and arguably, unusable.

Please see Gazumped's post to you here:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/27692-sharing-and-collaboration-permissions/?p=191005

• Level 5

Incorrect BurgersNFries. Had to edit your post. Sorry!

Evernote v5 for Mac allows you to freely move notes between notebooks regardless of their owner. However, keep in mind that moving a note between owners "re-starts" its backup history (so you'll lose any Premium note history) and if someone shares a notebook with you, you can only apply tags that already exist in that notebook. Aside from these minor limitations, you can create notes, move them, copy them, etc freely in another user's notebooks provided they have given you read/write access. You can also search by tags that exist on other people's notes quite easily. Your tag tab in the sidebar should show tags that exist in notebooks that have been shared to you.

We use this method of collaboration all the time within the company. For example, I'll draft a note then move it into someone else's notebook when I'm ready for them to see it. They can see the note has been placed in their notebook using the activity feed and make modifications freely.

What version of Evernote for Mac are you using?

Incorrect BurgersNFries. Had to edit your post. Sorry!

Evernote v5 for Mac allows you to freely move notes between notebooks regardless of their owner. However, keep in mind that moving a note between owners "re-starts" its backup history (so you'll lose any Premium note history) and if someone shares a notebook with you, you can only apply tags that already exist in that notebook. Aside from these minor limitations, you can create notes, move them, copy them, etc freely in another user's notebooks provided they have given you read/write access. You can also search by tags that exist on other people's notes quite easily. Your tag tab in the sidebar should show tags that exist in notebooks that have been shared to you.

We use this method of collaboration all the time within the company. For example, I'll draft a note then move it into someone else's notebook when I'm ready for them to see it. They can see the note has been placed in their notebook using the activity feed and make modifications freely.

What version of Evernote for Mac are you using?

Ok, thanks, Jack!  Sorry for the misinformation!

Oh, and to clarify how you can move notes, you can either use the notebook selector at the top of the note editor, right click the note in the note list, or drag the note to the notebooks tab in the sidebar.

Alas, I don't use a Mac. But rather the (Gold Standard, dare I say? Hehehe...) Windows client. OTOH, I don't do that much moving of notes from one account to another. Thanks for the update, though! Not sure why OP couldn't move his notes, unless he's got an old version.

I am totally with the OP of this thread   ----  As A premium user, I am astonished by how much lousy information and disinformation there is about this most commonsense, simple feature imaginable.   While there are many collaboration scenarios -  the ONE that every collaborator in the online world  wants to know about is :

*Can I and another human share and edit the same document with close to realtime synchronization  ? *

Is it THAT complicated to state this feature clearly and simply and pin it on the knowledgebase ?

I have searched dozens upon dozens of posts and not found a concise answer.  That is insane for such a well thought out platform - there is no reason I can imagine, except that Evernote doesnt want millions of users doing it.

So,  

CAN I ?   

and

Does the other person have to be premium, can we do it on the mobile apps  ?

IF not,  I am afraid I will start to move parts of projects to dropbox or google drive

Archived