(Archived) Orientation of Images - EXIF data not recognized

werdunn

Idea

I scanned a document as a Jpeg using an HP PhotoSmart C4580. In the HP editing software, I oriented the Jpeg in Landscape and saved the changes. The landscape orientation is visible on my iMacs (OSX 10.5.6) document viewer. I imported the Jpeg using the Mac Evernote Desktop Client, however, the image in oriented as a portrait. Is there a way to change the orientation within Evernote, or is there a work around up front to prevent this from reorienting? I'd prefer not to scan as a Jpeg in order to retain text recognition. Thanks!

I think that your image software may be "rotating" the image using a rotation flag that isn't widely supported outside of image editing software. For example, I think that if you took that image and opened the file from Safari, you'd see it in the same orientation that you see in Evernote.

Some image editing software handles rotation without using the "orientation" flag, but actually moves the pixels around. I think you could do that with Preview ... when you finish editing, uncheck the "Use Exif Orientation Tag" to improve compatibility.

post-8171-131906062879_thumb.png

I love JotNot on my iphone - it takes photos of documents and processes them in a way that makes the text easy to read. It's a bit like a mini portable Scansnap. I often end up with photos of just a couple of lines, which are thus wide but short.

If I then drag these images into Evernote, it seems to assume that the images should be narrow but long, and orientates them on their side. If I then open the image FROM evernote into preview, they are properly orientated in Preview but remain malorientated in Evernote - and if I try rotating them clockwise, then the Evernote is rotated 180 degrees.

So please, can Evernote not try to assume i'm stupid and automatically orientate my photos?

Thanks for the feedback. If you save one of these JPG images to your computer and try to open it in a web browser instead of using Preview, does it also show the correct orientation?

We've seen a few cases of images that support rotation using a special "rotation" extension in the JPEG data. This extension is supported by some applications that specialize in image processing, and isn't supported in others (like web browsers). I'm suspicious that this is what's occurring here.

Thanks

I use Jotnot as well. I use my Iphone/Evernote app to upload the resulting photo to Evernote. I try to print the jotnot processed photo and it comes out blank. (these are photos of whiteboards). However if I e-mail the photo to myself and print on the same printer, it prints fine. Does evernote process the photo in a way that makes it not printable?

No, we just store the raw JPEG that we receive. The orientation difference is more of a "lack of a feature" (support for the EXIF rotation tag) than a bug. We're just displaying the image using the default JPEG image rendering tools from the OS, which don't handle this rotation extension.

I have a couple of images from receipts that I took in portrait mode with my iPhone. When I see them in the iPhone I see them in portrait mode, when they are uploaded to Evernote they appear landscape, same when syncing Evernote and Expensify. A month ago this wouldn't happen.

How can I solve this?

thanks!

• Level 5*

I've got a thread somewhere about this. I went through support. No resolution, but en knows about it. My theory is that pictures sent to en from the iPad are getting flipped around. Take a look at the website and see if the thumbnails are all messed up depending on which platform you look at. It's a bug. As I recall, though, the images were ok, and it was just the thumbnails that got flipped.

As I recall, though, the images were ok, and it was just the thumbnails that got flipped.

I have the same issue on Android when exporting images from CamScanner to Evernote. But it's not just the thumbnails that have the wrong orientation, also the images themselves.

Hi-I have the latest version of Evernote for the Mac and I am running 10.7.3. I tried to create a new note and add some jpg's. Each time they end up pasting in sideways. Bug? Operator error? Love Evernote, use it all the time! Judy

It is probably not a bug - more likely a missing feature. Evernote does not know from a foto what the correct orientation is. Especially if they come from mobile devices.

However, to rotate the pictures, you can just open them in Preview and use ⌘R or ⌘L to give them the right orientation as needed. The image will then show properly in Evernote.

What pgdahl said. That said, autorotate from EXIF would be nice for next update.

Doesn't EXIF only rotate the display but not actually rotate the picture? (Or something like that... ok I'm out of my area of expertise...)

Is there a way to easily rotate a image on a Mac to fix this problem? On Win7 I was able to open the image in Paint -> rotate -> save -> fixed in EN. On my Mac if I open it in Preview the image shows up correctly, but in EN it is still displayed horizontal/sideways.

Still doing it with the new Evernote version. Apparently if I shoot the picture from a new note itself it works, but there you will have a heavy big picture. I'd rather take the pic from the iPhone camera, then e-mail a note to my Evernote e-mail and then I choose "medium" size. That's when I receive the images with the wrong orientation.

Funny thing is, I tried to shoot a receipt landscape instead of portrait and Evernote brought it upside down! So I guess Evernote has a problem with image orientation no matter what...

Any follow up with this? This week I uploaded a picture from iPhone (sending the photo to my Evernote email), and no matter how you put the camera (portrait or landscape), it arrives Evernote with the wrong orientation.

The funny thing is that in the thumbnail view it shows the right orientation, but when you open the note it shows the wrong orientation...

• Level 5*

Any follow up with this? This week I uploaded a picture from iPhone (sending the photo to my Evernote email), and no matter how you put the camera (portrait or landscape), it arrives Evernote with the wrong orientation.

The funny thing is that in the thumbnail view it shows the right orientation, but when you open the note it shows the wrong orientation...

i don't know if there is any follow-up, because evernote does not recognize it as an issue on their end.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23091-not-happy-with-evernote-support/

i have not experimented much, but if i recall correctly, editing an image by cropping in ios somehow resulted in properly oriented pages. it may have just been dumb luck. you could give that a try :)

Evernote seems to be doing something with its ENML that doesn't look at defining a page size and orientation. So, if I scan an item as a portait-oriented it may display and/or print as a landscape, because Evernote isn't making an 8.5" x 11" page.

I don't know if this is related to the issue at hand, but here, from another thread:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/9150-printing-pdf-from-desktop-app-mac/

Hello everyone.

In my opinion this topic needs to remain active until it is fixed. It is a malfunction present accross all platforms as far as I can tell - namely that Evernote cannot display photos.

Yes, I know it can display pixels from a photo, but it cannot read the EXIF data correctly or consistently and so displays a transformation of the photo rather than the photo itself.

No - correct orientation is not a "feature request". The orientation flag is integral to a jpeg and any program that can't use them can't claim to display photos, and especially so on a mobile device.

Evernote is broken.

I have not encountered another mobile app that deals with photos that can't handle this. I find it absolutely extraordinary that an app claiming photo notes as a key feature hasn't got this sorted after what appears to be many months of reports and requests.

If you mainly use mobile photo notes this makes the app almost unusable.

It is extremely frustrating and is the only impediment to me signing up as a premium subscriber (in order to have offline access and higher upload limits for pictures).

I simply cannot believe that this is difficult to program. Every other app in the world has managed it.

• Level 5*

And responses like this are utterly pitiful:

http://discussion.ev...8778#entry11877d

"We will consider adding the ability to correctly display jpegs a feature request ".

Really?

I think you may have misread that statement (as well as having taken it out of context). I didn't read it as "we will consider adding this as a feature request", which you seem to have done. Here is the actual quote (having removed the extra, misleading and unattributed, emphasis that you added):

"
DanB is asking why Evernote does not read EXIF orientation data that is added to the image by his camera. It is *not* a bug that Evernote does not do this. We have said in many places and at many times that we do not parse EXIF orientation data, and that we will consider it a feature request.
"

Instead, I read it as "we don't believe that this is a bug on our part (which we need to fix), but we will treat it as a feature request (which we will prioritize and possibly implement)".

That being said, it doesn't sound as if Evernote is too keen to address the issue. [Edited due to recent addition of rotation tools to Windows beta client.]

Instead, I read it as "we don't believe that this is a bug on our part (which we need to fix), but we will treat it as a feature request (which we will prioritize and possibly implement)".

OK I understand what you are saying about emphasis on the word "consider". This is a tangential point to the problem though:

We will treat correct jpeg orientation (which obviously requires reading the EXIF orientation flag) as a feature request, rather than a bug.

It is that that I find extraordinary, regardless of whether the "request" is given any priority or merely considered and rejected.

Incorrect display of photo notes taken on the same device is a broken photo note app, not one missing a feature.

In any case, there is nothing to suggest that the "feature request" of non-broken photo note display is given any priority whatsoever, or will even be acted upon.

In my opinion this topic needs to remain active until it is fixed. It is a malfunction present accross all platforms as far as I can tell - namely that Evernote cannot display photos.

What's your experience with the Mac and web clients? I've never had this problem on either of those clients (examples here of what my photos look like on Mac and web), so I'm surprised to hear you say the problem is present across all platforms.

My impression from reading about this problem on the forums is that it's mostly a problem on, or maybe caused by, the iOS apps. I don't use them, so I have no personal experience with fixes for this, but in this conversation, JMichael suggested two programs that might help you.

In any case, there is nothing to suggest that the "feature request" of non-broken photo note display is given any priority whatsoever, or will even be acted upon.

My impression, reading the same things you've read, is that that's right. Given your described use case, if you can't find a third-party fix that helps you (like, potentially, those that JMichael suggested), Evernote may not be the program for your needs. Sorry.

I simply cannot believe that this is difficult to program. Every other app in the world has managed it.

Not necessarily difficult to program which is either uninsightful into the world of programming or unnecessarily insulting as stated, but:

A. Not a priority when there are a multitude of other, higher priority, issues to work on.

B. "Not my job". If you put a photo in that has whacked orientation and Evernote displays it as-is then why is that Evernote's high priority issue to drop everything and read the Exif to make up for the camera's stupidity*?

If I get into a car and have no arms then it's not the car manufacturer's problem - it's up to me to get adaptive technology to steer with my feet or to find a chauffeur. Likewise, it's up to you to find an app to rotate the picture to the way you want it to be with a third-party app mentioned by Peter.

* I've seen photos taken on an iPhone and displayed on the iPhone gallery that are sideways or upside down. You flip around the phone and the picture swivels upside-down again. We should be discussing this on the iPhone forum and demanding that they fix their system... but they probably wouldn't even listen to such a post.

Instead of insulting the programmers and demanding action for an awesome tool, imo, that the majority of people use for free, let's just ask the question if it hasn't already been asked and then perhaps turn to the community to see how they deal with the issue. In my case I don't take many pictures into Evernote and have never had this problem, but then again, I use an Android phone too so I'm sorry I have no answers but I'm sure a quick search will turn up a few.

What's your experience with the Mac and web clients? I've never had this problem on either of those clients (examples here of what my photos look like on Mac and web), so I'm surprised to hear you say the problem is present across all platforms.

My impression from reading about this problem on the forums is that it's mostly a problem on, or maybe caused by, the iOS apps.

I've only briefly trialled EN on Mac and iOS via a friend's hardware and had the problem of display of images taken on iphone and android handsets.

I consider incorrect display of a photo from an app on a desktop client just as broken as the incorrect display on the mobile client. The orientation data is there for a reason.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll perhaps try creating photo notes with a third party client.

Something I can hardly believe I have to consider.

Not necessarily difficult to program which is either uninsightful into the world of programming or unnecessarily insulting as stated, but:

The empirical evidence is that the vast majority of mobile apps, of any kind, when interacting with photos display them correctly.

A. Not a priority when there are a multitude of other, higher priority, issues to work on.

Higher priority than correct display of photos in photo notes?

B. "Not my job". If you put a photo in that has whacked orientation and Evernote displays it as-is then why is that Evernote's high priority issue to drop everything and read the Exif to make up for the camera's stupidity*?

No. The camera is producing standard jpegs with appropriate orientation data. They are correctly dealt with by every other app. Evernote does not display "as is", but incorrectly.

* I've seen photos taken on an iPhone and displayed on the iPhone gallery that are sideways or upside down. You flip around the phone and the picture swivels upside-down again. We should be discussing this on the iPhone forum and demanding that they fix their system... but they probably wouldn't even listen to such a post.

No.

This is a consistent problem with Evernote and it affects Android just as much as iOS.

Instead of insulting the programmers and demanding action for an awesome tool, imo, that the majority of people use for free, let's just ask the question if it hasn't already been asked and then perhaps turn to the community to see how they deal with the issue.

They deal with it by being ignored, and either leaving or putting up with it.

It would indeed be pretty awesome if it displayed photos in a non-broken manner.

In my case I don't take many pictures into Evernote and have never had this problem, but then again, I use an Android phone too so I'm sorry I have no answers but I'm sure a quick search will turn up a few.

If you have no answers then why do you bother replying? To get offended on Evernote's behalf, it seems.

I also use Android and you are wrong about the quick search too,.

Evernote is broken in its basic functionality.

Every other app has mastered this basic functionality.

• Level 5*

One thing: the latest prerelease of the next Windows client has a simple image rotation function. Given Evernote's stated desire for (more or less) feature parity across its clients, I imagine that it will trickle over to its other clients.eventually.

• Level 5*

In general, I try to let Evernote worry about setting their own priorities. They have the information, they know their own plans and resources, and its their business to make succeed or fail. I'm not privy to what they're doing behind the scenes, and neither are you, so why fuss about it too much? I think the dictum to "let your customers tell you what they want, but don't let them tell you what to do" is probably at play here.

Andrew Sales, given how upset you are at Evernote (the program's) functionalities and Evernote (the company's) priorities, it sounds like you'll never be happy with either one. Sorry to hear that, since, flaws and all, a lot of us find a lot of use for it—and find it enhanced by third-party apps that play well with it.

One thing: the latest prerelease of the next Windows client has a simple image rotation function. Given Evernote's stated desire for (more or less) feature parity across its clients, I imagine that it will trickle over to its other clients.eventually.

Thanks, that is useful. However, it wouldn't fix the difference between preview and full view (which are usually differently rotated, the latter displayed correctly).

In general, I try to let Evernote worry about setting their own priorities. They have the information, they know their own plans and resources, and its their business to make succeed or fail. I'm not privy to what they're doing behind the scenes, and neither are you, so why fuss about it too much? I think the dictum to "let your customers tell you what they want, but don't let them tell you what to do" is probably at play here.

I think I am strongly telling Evernote what I want. I disagree that a few forum posts are too much fuss given the time I have spent and may yet spend with the service.

And I'm not a customer yet. Basic functionality issues have detered me.

Andrew Sales, given how upset you are at Evernote (the program's) functionalities and Evernote (the company's) priorities, it sounds like you'll never be happy with either one. Sorry to hear that, since, flaws and all, a lot of us find a lot of use for it—and find it enhanced by third-party apps that play well with it.

I do find this sort of cod-psychoanalytical hand waving excuse amusing! It's not even your company!

Someone points out that the foremost image note taking app doesn't display images correctly and the response is that this potential customer sounds like they will "never be happy".

What nonsense you have seen fit to post!

• Level 5*

I do find this sort of cod-psychoanalytical hand waving excuse amusing! It's not even your company!

This is a user forum, not an official support forum (though Evernote staff do sometimes peek in and contribute too), and peter is an Evernote user who is helpful in these forums. Nobody who has responded to your post is an employee, nor are we compensated for our time here. We just like to try to help out other users with their Evernote problems, where we can. I suggest you try it for awhile yourself, rather than insult the folks who, despite their good intentions, are not giving you what you want.

Someone points out that the foremost image note taking app doesn't display images correctly and the response is that this potential customer sounds like they will "never be happy".

Andrew, I wrote that because you had previously written:

Evernote is broken.

I have not encountered another mobile app that deals with photos that can't handle this. I find it absolutely extraordinary that an app claiming photo notes as a key feature hasn't got this sorted after what appears to be many months of reports and requests.

And responses like this are utterly pitiful:

http://discussion.ev...8778#entry11877d

"We will consider adding the ability to correctly display jpegs a feature request ".

Really?

We will treat correct jpeg orientation (which obviously requires reading the EXIF orientation flag) as a feature request, rather than a bug.

It is that that I find extraordinary, regardless of whether the "request" is given any priority or merely considered and rejected.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll perhaps try creating photo notes with a third party client.

Something I can hardly believe I have to consider.

Evernote is broken in its basic functionality.

Every other app has mastered this basic functionality.

As I understood this conversation, we were agreeing: Neither of us had any indication this problem will be fixed soon. You had gone beyond that to make very clear your incredulity at both Evernote's capabilities and the company's attitude to this problem, suggesting you're currently quite unhappy with Evernote and can't be happy until this problem is fixed. "Never" was the wrong word on my part—but, given my understanding of how and how quickly Evernote fixes bugs and releases new features, my guess if you will remain unhappy with the company for a while if you keep using the program. That's because you made clear that you need images to be displayed correctly for Evernote to be useful for you when you wrote, "If you mainly use mobile photo notes this makes the app almost unusable." So, since the program is currently almost unusable for you, and since our best guess is that it will not change for a while, I did two things: First, I pointed you to two previously suggested third-party apps that could help you. Second, I suggested that if those don't work for you, then Evernote probably won't be worth your time. I didn't mean to be offering a "cod-psychoanalytical hand waving excuse"; I meant to say that, unfortunately given the use case you described, it doesn't seem that Evernote will be helpful for you for a while.

And that is a shame to those of us who have found it very helpful. As Jeff said, a big reason we spend time here is to try to help other users troubleshoot, find workarounds and third-party apps that sort of solve problems, and otherwise see how we can help each other use Evernote most effectively. I didn't mean to be discouraging, but rather to save you time, since you made clear you didn't want to get entangled with Evernote if it wouldn't be useful when you wrote, "I disagree that a few forum posts are too much fuss given the time I have spent and may yet spend with the service." We agree about that too (in that we both find posting here worthwhile if we are or may be devoting a lot of time to Evernote). Sorry our—or at least my—posts haven't been helpful. I sincerely hope that you stick with Evernote, that the problem gets fixed before too long, and you find a lot of great ways to use Evernote for a long time. If some or all of that doesn't happen, I hope you don't feel you've wasted a lot of time with it, or with us.

• Level 5*

Hello everyone.

Yes, I know it can display pixels from a photo, but it cannot read the EXIF data correctly or consistently and so displays a transformation of the photo rather than the photo itself.

No - correct orientation is not a "feature request". The orientation flag is integral to a jpeg and any program that can't use them can't claim to display photos, and especially so on a mobile device.

Evernote is broken.

It is extremely frustrating and is the only impediment to me signing up as a premium subscriber (in order to have offline access and higher upload limits for pictures).

hi. i've posted a thread on this topic as well along with details about how some of the main platforms treat the photo orientation differently in the thumbnails and note views. evernote staff have recognized the behavior exists, given detailed explanations about the reasons for it, and provided a workaround for it (opening the image on the desktop, rotating it back and forth, and re-uploading it). the thread is floating around somewhere on the forums.

i think it is fair to say that i have been fairly critical about it. i'm not too keen on the current situation, but i don't think evernote is "broken." they have made a decision, and they have been kind enough to share their rationale for it. it makes sense, even if i don't agree.

in my case, the image rotation isn't a critical feature. there are other ones that are, though, and it sometimes requires me to use a third party app to get done what i want. it's not ideal, but it's good to keep things in perspective--there is nothing else even remotely close to it in terms of overall functionality (this is the first time i have been able to put all of my notes into one application) and it is getting better all of the time. you might want to keep checking back :)

In general, IMO, this is an annoyance, yes, but NBD. There are several third party apps that allow a user to easily/quickly change the orientation of the image in EN or before sending to EN.

We all have our features that are deal breakers when evaluating any app. If this is a deal breaker for OP, then OP should look for another app. But ridiculing the developers for not complying to what one considers a deal breaker (and really, this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of what Evernote does) is just plain rude & uncalled for.

This is a user forum, not an official support forum (though Evernote staff do sometimes peek in and contribute too), and peter is an Evernote user who is helpful in these forums. Nobody who has responded to your post is an employee, nor are we compensated for our time here. We just like to try to help out other users with their Evernote problems, where we can. I suggest you try it for awhile yourself, rather than insult the folks who, despite their good intentions, are not giving you what you want.

I think that was my point: it's not even his company!

Apologies for any offence caused though.

As I understood this conversation, we were agreeing: Neither of us had any indication this problem will be fixed soon. You had gone beyond that to make very clear your incredulity at both Evernote's capabilities and the company's attitude to this problem,

Absolutely!

I didn't mean to be offering a "cod-psychoanalytical hand waving excuse"; I meant to say that, unfortunately given the use case you described, it doesn't seem that Evernote will be helpful for you for a while.

It's almost unusable (and I will admit to exaggerating ever so slightly in that assessment).

An analogy would be if the only car maker sold cars with an uncomfortable spike in the middle of each seat.

And then claimed that they had other priorities but would consider spike-less seats as a feature request.

I appreciate your and others replies and the time they have cost. No offence was intended.

I do think a good use of time would be if this forum kicked up a fuss about basic functionality being right. I'm just contributing my one-atom's worth in that regard.

hi. i've posted a thread on this topic as well along with details about how some of the main platforms treat the photo orientation differently in the thumbnails and note views. evernote staff have recognized the behavior exists, given detailed explanations about the reasons for it, and provided a workaround for it (opening the image on the desktop, rotating it back and forth, and re-uploading it). the thread is floating around somewhere on the forums.

Thanks, I think I have briefly seen it on previous search - I'll go back and find it.

i think it is fair to say that i have been fairly critical about it. i'm not too keen on the current situation, but i don't think evernote is "broken." they have made a decision, and they have been kind enough to share their rationale for it. it makes sense, even if i don't agree.

How can it possibly make sense? This is core functionality and every other app manages it.

in my case, the image rotation isn't a critical feature. there are other ones that are, though, and it sometimes requires me to use a third party app to get done what i want. it's not ideal, but it's good to keep things in perspective--there is nothing else even remotely close to it in terms of overall functionality (this is the first time i have been able to put all of my notes into one application) and it is getting better all of the time. you might want to keep checking back :)

I'm not just checking back, I'm actively using it.

But I'll be damned if I pay for a broken app, even though I am keen to get offline use and larger upload limits.

Being the only/best horse in town only works as a strategy as long as you are. This just looks like they don't care about the interface.

In general, IMO, this is an annoyance, yes, but NBD. There are several third party apps that allow a user to easily/quickly change the orientation of the image in EN or before sending to EN.

We all have our features that are deal breakers when evaluating any app. If this is a deal breaker for OP, then OP should look for another app. But ridiculing the developers for not complying to what one considers a deal breaker (and really, this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of what Evernote does) is just plain rude & uncalled for.

I disagree. This is not a feature. It is incorrect display of a jpeg in a multimedia note app.

I find it slightly surreal hearing these wounded voices. In reality there is nothing rude about considering something incredibly poor, and this is.

EN is great in many ways, but that does not detract from a flaw.

Please would people like to list the other issues that make incorrect jpeg display in a multimedia note app not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things?

I presume that data is being lost? Or clients are crashing frequently, something like that?

I disagree. This is not a feature. It is incorrect display of a jpeg in a multimedia note app.

I find it slightly surreal hearing these wounded voices. In reality there is nothing rude about considering something incredibly poor, and this is.

Please re-read what I said. I did not say it was rude to "consider" something "incredibly poor". You seem to be really good at quoting things incorrectly/out of context.

But ridiculing the developers for not complying to what one considers a deal breaker (and really, this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of what Evernote does) is just plain rude & uncalled for.

Yeah, we all get that you disagree, since you've posted it so often. But the bottom line is that it doesn't matter whether you agree or not. It is what it is. (shrug). If you can live with it, great. If not, then yes, you should find an app that does what you need it to do.

And it doesn't seem like this convo is moving forward at all, so probably time to call it a wrap. You've posted your opinions. Others have posted theirs & now we're just doing deja vu all over again.

• Level 5*

It's not my company either, but it is a valid recommendation that you be satisfied with the capabilities that Evernote offers, and if not, then trying other software is fair game (and might be better for your blood pressure, too :)). I don't believe that Evernote disagrees on that point.

Apologies for any offence caused though.

Accepted. We want Evernote to work well; sometimes it can't do everything everyone wants. Good luck anyways.

BNF is right that we're mostly re-treading the same ground here, so last comment from me unless we move onto new topics.

It's not my company either, but it is a valid recommendation that you be satisfied with the capabilities that Evernote offers, and if not, then trying other software is fair game (and might be better for your blood pressure, too :)). I don't believe that Evernote disagrees on that point.

As he often is, Jeff is totally on point. A few of us have suggested you try the following options, in this order:

• Use third-party apps that play well with Evernote to do what you want
  • Try using Evernote for other purposes, and see if it can be helpful to you that way
  • Not use Evernote, if it's not helpful to you

One thing that other users here have helped me realize is that, as much as I wish Evernote could do everything I want it to do, there are some things that it simply is not the best app for—or not at all good for. (My major desire is a robust word processor, with a lot more editing functionality and without all the current formatting problems.) It is obviously not the best app for saving and retrieving images uploaded with iOS devices. (Again, going back to my first post, I've never had an image that I uploaded from my Mac incorrectly displayed on the Mac, web, or Windows clients, which leads me to believe this really is a problem originating in the iOS clients, and not a problem with all Evernote clients.) That may be reason enough for some people to not use Evernote. If you would mostly use it to store images you take on your iPhone, then I can see why this is a very legitimate dealbreaker. I think some of our comments—or maybe I should just speak for myself—have come from not understanding your incredulity at Evernote not doing something you want it to, especially when you're currently using it for free.

Please would people like to list the other issues that make incorrect jpeg display in a multimedia note app not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things?

I presume that data is being lost? Or clients are crashing frequently, something like that?

Interesting take there. I'd say that what makes this not a major deal in the grand scheme of things is not what Evernote does wrong (as you suggested), but what Evernote does right. Its display of images taken/added by iOS devices is a problem. Full stop. No hedging there. But for many of us, including users like GrumpyMonkey, who have suffered from this and complained about it, it's not a dealbreaker because of all the other functionalities Evernote offers. Again, it would be great if this worked, and if Evernote did everything we want. But it doesn't, so we appreciate what it does do—or we stop using it.

Looking back over this conversation, it occurs to me that maybe this bothers you so much because of Evernote's marketing? If you had specifically complained about this, you might have had more people agreeing with you, rather than pushing back. Since, however, you've mostly been saying this is a big problem because other programs do what you want and Evernote doesn't, you've heard the responses we've given.

If Evernote does not do what someone considers a deal breaker then wouldn't it be a better use of time to go to a product that does? I don't think the Evernote "guys" would even be hurt at that. They have said as much in the past that Evernote is not for everyone and that's ok with them.

Edited: Removed the dead horse beating. I hadn't seen page 2 of the comments before posting my reply. BnF is right - this needs to be put to rest.

Please re-read what I said. I did not say it was rude to "consider" something "incredibly poor". You seem to be really good at quoting things incorrectly/out of context.

Sorry, let me be more precise. I'm not trying to cause offence pointlessly. I'm trying to create a fuss about something that obviously people are just used to putting up with, but by any objective assessment is ridiculous given the ambitions and features of Evernote.

It isn't necessarily rude to ridicule something because it is poor. Neither is my ridicule uncalled for. There is a place in the world for ridicule and really I don't think anyone here is under the impression that lives are at stake, or reputations will be mortally wounded.

Yeah, we all get that you disagree, since you've posted it so often. But the bottom line is that it doesn't matter whether you agree or not.

Erm, this is an internet user forum.

It is what it is. (shrug). If you can live with it, great. If not, then yes, you should find an app that does what you need it to do.

Should I?

So agitating to improve an easily fixable flaw in something that is otherwise great is an illegitimate course of action, is it?

And it doesn't seem like this convo is moving forward at all, so probably time to call it a wrap. You've posted your opinions. Others have posted theirs & now we're just doing deja vu all over again.

Au contraire, I think we are moving to an ever closer understanding.

And let's face it, Evernote still can't display its picture notes correctly after all this time, so apparently lack of progress is not a deal-breaker!

If Evernote does not do what someone considers a deal breaker then wouldn't it be a better use of time to go to a product that does? I don't think the Evernote "guys" would even be hurt at that. They have said as much in the past that Evernote is not for everyone and that's ok with them.

A better product like what?

]Edited: Removed the dead horse beating. I hadn't seen page 2 of the comments before posting my reply. BnF is right - this needs to be put to rest.

Yes, you are right, others have already produced the helpful reply of questioning my right to continued comment, my use of time and finishing with "if you don't like it why don't you take a hike".

I can't help but feel that some of you are emotionally identified with this service and feel upset that I'm making a fuss about a flaw.

As he often is, Jeff is totally on point.

A few of us have suggested you try the following options, in this order:

• Use third-party apps that play well with Evernote to do what you want
  • Try using Evernote for other purposes, and see if it can be helpful to you that way
  • Not use Evernote, if it's not helpful to you

And have you ever wondered how that reads?

Did you think perhaps that such options as "not use Evernote" had not occurred to me?

Or with all due respect, do you think it just might be read as condescending?

Am I expected to be grateful for several of you flagging that one up?

I do appreciate the helpful replies here, but just please bear in mind that I can type and use grammar, and perhaps have some empathy with my reactions to the likes of the above.

One thing that other users here have helped me realize is that, as much as I wish Evernote could do everything I want it to do, there are some things that it simply is not the best app for—or not at all good for.

You mean like photo-notes?

(My major desire is a robust word processor, with a lot more editing functionality and without all the current formatting problems.) It is obviously not the best app for saving and retrieving images uploaded with iOS devices.

You missed Android devices.

So more or less all EN-enabled devices with a camera can't display their own photo notes the right way up. I'm still struggling to see how that isn't not just a big deal but actually an embarrassment for Evernote.

Two questions for you:

1. Does EN claim to be a robust word processor?

2. Does it claim to do photo-notes?

(Again, going back to my first post, I've never had an image that I uploaded from my Mac incorrectly displayed on the Mac, web, or Windows clients, which leads me to believe this really is a problem originating in the iOS clients, and not a problem with all Evernote clients.) That may be reason enough for some people to not use Evernote. If you would mostly use it to store images you take on your iPhone, then I can see why this is a very legitimate dealbreaker.

I don't have an iPhone. And you will find that the vast majority of photo notes are taken with smart phones. (I find this thread so surreal that a part of me is tempted to actually list the two major reasons why that is! But I resist!)

I think some of our comments—or maybe I should just speak for myself—have come from not understanding your incredulity at Evernote not doing something you want it to, especially when you're currently using it for free.

That is unfair reframing of my beef. I do not expect EN to do everything I want it to. But I expect any app, if claiming to be for taking photo notes to simply display the photos the correct way up. Now you may disagree that correct photo note functionality is core to EN, but to imply I'm incredulous simply because it doesn't fulfil my every desire is a little misleading, don't you think?

Interesting take there. I'd say that what makes this not a major deal in the grand scheme of things is not what Evernote does wrong (as you suggested), but what Evernote does right. Its display of images taken/added by iOS devices is a problem. Full stop. No hedging there.

But for many of us, including users like GrumpyMonkey, who have suffered from this and complained about it, it's not a dealbreaker because of all the other functionalities Evernote offers. Again, it would be great if this worked, and if Evernote did everything we want. But it doesn't, so we appreciate what it does do—or we stop using it.

Why making a sustained fuss about a flaw off the table? Is EN a cult or a commercial software service?

Looking back over this conversation, it occurs to me that maybe this bothers you so much because of Evernote's marketing? If you had specifically complained about this, you might have had more people agreeing with you, rather than pushing back. Since, however, you've mostly been saying this is a big problem because other programs do what you want and Evernote doesn't, you've heard the responses we've given.

Marketing has nothing to do with it. Core functionality has.

• Level 5*

i'm cool with you complaining and raising a stink. so did i in the thread i started on the same topic.

i think it is uncool to ridicule. i prefer a more respectful approach. not because it is a cult. not because it is a company. because the developers and staff at evernote are people too (except for phil the ceo - he is a robot, but one with a laser, so watch out).

there is a difference between a squeeky wheel and running your fingernails across the chalkboard.

carry on with your advocacy :)

LOL, exactly my point!!!! As one man was fond of saying, "Whether you like it or ya don't like it, learn to love it cause it's the best thing going today." Your choices vary, if you can live without it then you have that option, of course. I have not found anything that can even come near Evernote's usefulness for me so I voice my opinion about certain things and then accept that it is their product and I can either take it or leave it. Contrary to the philosophy of the country today, I am not entitled to everything I want. If I weren't a Premium customer I'd be even more inclined to say my peace and shut up about it instead of coming into the forums and attacking Evernote, their staff, other customers, etc. as if I were entitled to abuse an "Internet user forum". This is not alt.binaries.Evernote.bash.bash.bash... it is a forum hosted, paid for, and monitored by Evernote. Don't compromise your morals, but otherwise when you are in someone else's house as a guest act like a human being and not a whiney brat that wants to kick and scream until Mommy gives in and gives you candy just to shut you up.

Yes, you are right, others have already produced the helpful reply of questioning my right to continued comment, my use of time and finishing with "if you don't like it why don't you take a hike".

I can't help but feel that some of you are emotionally identified with this service and feel upset that I'm making a fuss about a flaw.

Oh, you have the right to continue to comment. You have the right to make yourself out to be the northbound end of a southbound horse as well... it's your choice. Until Evernote decides to stop it you indeed have that right. Furthermore, I never said "if you don't like it why don't you take a hike" and if that was meant to be aimed at me then I'd say once again you are horribly misquoting people, as you are want to do. What I said, put differently, is if Evernote is, as you state and imply, such a terrible product that is created by programmers that can't even do a simple task and they won't even give you the satisfaction of fixing it BEFORE you are even a paid customer then why put yourself through that? I think Windows blows so I quit using it... it's not worth the pain of using a bad product, whining about it all the time, listening to others who love it and appreciate it... it's easier just to switch to Mac. I'm not telling you to quit using Evernote, I'm asking why you still do since it sucks so bad, in your presented complaints?

I'm not emotionally identified with Evernote and I'm not upset you are complaining about a flaw. I'm upset that you attack the programmers and Chief Executives of a tool that has totally changed my life so dramatically. You make baseless comments about how easy it is to fix. Are you a programmer? Do you know about how to read the Exif and flip photos? Do you know the intimate details of Evernote so you can say for sure it is an easy thing to do? There are a lot of factors that customers don't always 'get'. I'm upset that instead of acting like an adult and stating the issue and letting Evernote decide whether to do anything about it so you can decide whether to keep using the free product, you come in here and lash out at everything and everyone in sight. Finally, I'm upset I've wasted so much of my time on this tirade of yours, but many others here are too polite to say what I did, even if they think the same.

When I say Evernote has dramatically changed my life I'm not exaggerating. I have come to the point of being able to remember almost nothing and I've never had great organizational skills when it comes to paper so EVERYTHING that crosses my path goes into Evernote and it makes it possible to function. Evernote is an awesome product (not perfect but awesome nonetheless) that has made it possible for me to function on a near-normal level and keep my life sorted so yes, when a wanker like you comes in whining and attacking everyone around it does upset me.

I've said everything I have to say. Carry on your tantrum if you like... you won't have to hear from me on this issue again... I'm going to go find someone that appreciates Evernote and could use some help instead of fighting over how terrible it is when they have the freedom to quit using it. Cheers! I hope you find a product that does what you like. Maybe Microsoft would be more responsive to your 'comments' with OneNote?

Cult. Definitely. :)

:D

I see that now.

Perhaps some of you can understand my love/hate relationship and resulting frustration when I admit to being damn close to handing over cash for Premium

even though photo notes are broken with no plans to fix.

If you can't beat them, join them, I guess.

That won't stop me ridiculing though, since the situation is ridiculous.

LOL, exactly my point!!!! As one man was fond of saying, "Whether you like it or ya don't like it, learn to love it cause it's the best thing going today." Your choices vary, if you can live without it then you have that option, of course. I have not found anything that can even come near Evernote's usefulness for me so I voice my opinion about certain things and then accept that it is their product and I can either take it or leave it. Contrary to the philosophy of the country today, I am not entitled to everything I want. If I weren't a Premium customer I'd be even more inclined to say my peace and shut up about it instead of coming into the forums and attacking Evernote, their staff, other customers, etc. as if I were entitled to abuse an "Internet user forum". This is not alt.binaries.Evernote.bash.bash.bash... it is a forum hosted, paid for, and monitored by Evernote. Don't compromise your morals, but otherwise when you are in someone else's house as a guest act like a human being and not a whiney brat that wants to kick and scream until Mommy gives in and gives you candy just to shut you up.

I see, you're leading your politeness crusade by example.

Let me help with your confusion. This is not a house and I have not been given any gifts. Evernote is a commercial product and it is between it and its customers to set the price, even if that price is "free". If the market would bear more, then it would be higher. Evernote will attempt to make money from its free accounts eventually. Evernote user forum is here also to further the commercial interests of the company. There is no obligation on me, moral or otherwise, to refrain from ridicule.

Which company do you think will ultimately do better - one that accepts that it has one or two pretty embarrassing holes and tries to fix them, or one that regards such comments as unacceptably rude and decides to ignore them?

Oh, you have the right to continue to comment. You have the right to make yourself out to be the northbound end of a southbound horse as well... it's your choice. Until Evernote decides to stop it you indeed have that right. Furthermore, I never said "if you don't like it why don't you take a hike" and if that was meant to be aimed at me then I'd say once again you are horribly misquoting people, as you are want to do.

As you are wont to do.

Sorry, I realise that recommending an option not to use EN is a world away from taking a hike. If your keen wits hadn't picked up on those two totally different sets of words not having the precise same overtones then I would have, like really got you, and unfairly too! What an underhand misquoter I am. Damn I thought I might get away with that one.

What I said, put differently, is if Evernote is, as you state and imply, such a terrible product that is created by programmers that can't even do a simple task and they won't even give you the satisfaction of fixing it BEFORE you are even a paid customer then why put yourself through that?
Now you put it that way, it is not at all condescending. Why, I had simply not considered the emotional toll that this might extract! And yet I had the option of just walking away.

(*stress - NOT taking a hike* - is that close enough or am I fiendishly misquoting you again?)

I think Windows blows so I quit using it... it's not worth the pain of using a bad product, whining about it all the time, listening to others who love it and appreciate it... it's easier just to switch to Mac. I'm not telling you to quit using Evernote, I'm asking why you still do since it sucks so bad, in your presented complaints?
Because the alternatives I'm aware of are worse.
I'm not emotionally identified with Evernote and I'm not upset you are complaining about a flaw. I'm upset that you attack the programmers and Chief Executives of a tool that has totally changed my life so dramatically.

ROFL.

You make baseless comments about how easy it is to fix. Are you a programmer? Do you know about how to read the Exif and flip photos?

No, yes and yes. That's how embarrassing this should be for EN.

More to the point every other app that handles phone photos can manage it too.

When I say Evernote has dramatically changed my life I'm not exaggerating. I have come to the point of being able to remember almost nothing and I've never had great organizational skills when it comes to paper so EVERYTHING that crosses my path goes into Evernote and it makes it possible to function. Evernote is an awesome product (not perfect but awesome nonetheless) that has made it possible for me to function on a near-normal level and keep my life sorted so yes, when a wanker like you comes in whining and attacking everyone around it does upset me.

Like you say, not emotionally attached to Evernote at all.

And again I see how well you embody by your philosophy of politeness! Don't worry, I get it - I was rude first! And to Evernote!

Because their photo notes absolutely suck!

I've said everything I have to say. Carry on your tantrum if you like...

ROFL.

I've enjoyed your post the most.

Anyway....

...has anyone noticed that famous multimedia note taking app Evernote can't do photo notes?

i'm cool with you complaining and raising a stink. so did i in the thread i started on the same topic.

i think it is uncool to ridicule. i prefer a more respectful approach. not because it is a cult. not because it is a company. because the developers and staff at evernote are people too (except for phil the ceo - he is a robot, but one with a laser, so watch out).

there is a difference between a squeeky wheel and running your fingernails across the chalkboard.

One of them gets more attention?

carry on with your advocacy :)

Thank you, kind Sir Grumpy!

I'll bump this till I'm banned, or its fixed.

Or I get bored, which is quite likely.

But if either of the first two happen, you'll know the true colours of the Green Elephant.

• Level 5*

Sorry, folks, but this has long since moved out of the realm of constructive. Opinions are good, debate is healthy, but this is no longer any of that. Locking the thread.

The reality is, no matter in which orientation I put the iPhone, when I send a picture to my Evernote e-mail, it comes upside down. I don't think it's only an iPhone problem, it's also an Evernote issue to solve.

For taking pictures of receipts, I can recommend JotNot for iPhone - I've never experienced a picture be upside down when they are sent to Evernote. Be aware, though, only the Pro version comes with support for Evernote.

Guest mrossk

Same here. For small pictures it takes only a few seconds but for bigger pictures (1,4 MB) it takes minutes, even on fast computers.

The worst: While rotating pictures they are converted from small .jpg (1,4 MB) to huge .png (9,5 MB). This makes this function useless for me.

I hadn't even realised that this feature "worked"; I've always a$sumed that my computer had crashed and re-booted.

In its current form the feature would seem to be almost unusable and as such should really be removed from the public release.

Rotating an image is easy, simple and, most importantly, quick via so many other methods that if it's going to be included in Evernote it needs to be equally efficient not to mention leaving the file format and any embedded metadata unchanged.

Guest mrossk

I also think that EN should remove this feature because someone could not recognize that his original jpg is lost and so this is a really data loss! Free users can't even get back their original file. Very dangerous.

Wow, I didn't know about this problem but I just tried with 2.5 mb image and it's still going after several minutes. I'd love for EN to add a feature to re-size / reduce images as they are imported, before they adjust your allowance.

• Level 5*

Wow! It finally finished and the resulting image is over 20 Mb! I find the best way is to just double-click the image to edit it locally using Paint.net

Wow! So the image increased from 2.5MB to 20MB! That's almost a factor of 10!

Sure seems like the EN Win devs and QA were asleep at the wheel...

I agree with mrossk that this feature should be immediately fixed or pulled from EN Win if this bug is confirmed.

Fortunately, I can report that the EN Mac team got it right. I've tested both small images, and big images (2.6MB) and the rotation was instant in both cases, with no change in file size.

I've found the same issues here. For JPEGs this is a bit of an oversight, it's quite trivial to rotate JPEGs through multiples of 90 degrees without having to decode the image, and it should be very fast on even modest hardware.

• Level 5*

I think we're using something that's native to the Windows operating system, and if so there isn't too much we can do.

If you can't fix it, you might try a google search. A quick search turned up many Windows resources for rotating images.

• Level 5*

@dlu, yes you can use native Windows GDI calls (I'm thinking PlgBlt) to do the rotation, but I'm guessing that the actual cause of the enlargement lies elsewhere, since the number of raw pixels ought to be the same (modulo row padding). At a guess it's related to some form of format change (pixel depth? compression? output format?) but I haven't actually done before/after tests on the source bitmaps to check out what's going on. I'm sure your Win folks can figure it out. We've used a mix of techniques at work to do raster rotations for mapping, depending on projection, rotation, scaling, etc. Intel's IPP library is quite good, based on my colleague's experience.

@dlu, yes you can use native Windows GDI calls (I'm thinking PlgBlt) to do the rotation, but I'm guessing that the actual cause of the enlargement lies elsewhere, since the number of raw pixels ought to be the same (modulo row padding). At a guess it's related to some form of format change (pixel depth? compression? output format?) but I haven't actually done before/after tests on the source bitmaps to check out what's going on. I'm sure your Win folks can figure it out. We've used a mix of techniques at work to do raster rotations for mapping, depending on projection, rotation, scaling, etc. Intel's IPP library is quite good, based on my colleague's experience.

Thanks, will have the team check that out :)

Wow, I don't think playing the "Oh, it's just a Microsoft problem" is going to fly on this one.

*sigh* I've thought that before, but you never really know... Anyways, we will be looking into it.

I had the same problem until I figured out how to rotate images "properly" in EN for Win. The wrong way is to select the image, right click, and select rotate cw or ccw. This method takes forever and converts the JPG to PNG. The right way is to double click the image which should bring up your default JPG viewer, usually Windows Photo Viewer. Use your default viewer to then rotate the photo. At least that's how it works for Windows Photo Viewer. I was not prompted to save the file after rotating it, it just showed up oriented correctly in EN as a JPG, and almost immediately.

Wow! It finally finished and the resulting image is over 20 Mb! I find the best way is to just double-click the image to edit it locally using Paint.net

That's what I do, but Evernote doesn't always notice the file has been changed, or perhaps the file is locked by Paint.NET and Evernote can't reload it? This is an intermittent problem for me on WinXP and Win7

Guest mrossk

... or perhaps the file is locked by Paint.NET and Evernote can't reload it?

This seems to be the problem.

When I want to rotate a picture in evernote, I double-click this image in evernote, then the native image-viewer from Windows starts where I can rotate the picutre. After closing the viewer the rotated picture is written back to evernote correctly.

I have the same issue on Windows Vista.

And another observation:

EN seems to use the clipboard (which you usually access via Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V). I was rotating an image the EN-way and EN freezes for several minutes. When I continue my work during this time in another application and copy some text into the clipboard, this copied text shows up in EN where the rotated image should be. This is reproducible.

I think EN should use the EXIF orientation.

I have many picture taken with my mobile phone, which takes landscape and portrait pictures and uses the EXIF orientation tag (as all digital cameras do) to store the orientation. When adding such picture to EN, EN always displays the picture in landscape mode ignoring the EXIF orientation tag.

If EN uses the EXIF orientation, the pictures would show up correctly oriented and it should be very easy to rotate a picture by modifying this attribute...

Just my two cents...

There is another issue with this rotation feature that causes data loss for users with free accounts, or that are up against their upload quota.

I have 3 images totalling 8.4 MB in a note that I took with my phone. If I rotate the images, they grow in size and the note size grows accordingly. When rotating the 3rd image, I get a notice that I would be exceeding my max of 25MB per note, and the image I just tried to rotate is gone - disappears. The note goes from having 3 attachments to having only 2. I've reproduced this several times and logged a ticket with Evernote support.

I believe this could also affect users who are about to upload the note if it grows large enough that they would be exceeding an upload quota, but I haven't tested that fully... just a thought.

Just thought it would be worth posting for others.

A neat solution to all of these problems would be if Evernote just stored the rotation state as a property of the image in the note and acted appropriately at the point it's displayed rather than modifying the image itself.

lossless jpeg rotation should be a rather simple and low CPU task. Plenty of implementations out there.

I notice a lot of issues with this rotation thing, images apear differently rotated in the various EN clients. This also makes them non searchable!

@dominik Yeah but even worse on the iphone if you take a picture it looks right (in the notes list etc) until it completes the sync and then it rotates it, onto its side?#! LOL

I have been in an online chat with EverNote for some time with this issue. I now discovered the pattern.When you take an image in a note from within the iphone app, it appears correctly on the iphone.

Then I sync with the PC of Mac client and it appears 90 dgrs rotated.

These rotated shots are not searchable.

When you first take the picture outside the iphone app and then add it to the note its orientation is ok.

Why is it that no one else noticed this behaviour.

Mods - sorry not the right sub-forum - please move/delete as you deem appropriate.

On April the 21st last year I raised this subject and just checked again on the Evernote Android app - nope - Evernote still doesn't show its own photos the right way up, choosing to simply ignore the orientation tag despite purporting to be a mobile note taking app.

Quite remarkably incompetent, don't you think?   How many other features have EN actually worked on this year?   We now have the offer of a separate app for taking pictures of our dinners!   Do they display sideways as well or is this just a feature of the general app?

Any updates on whether this has even been acknowledged as something worth thinking about?   Any worthwhile workarounds?

I was prodded into posting this today by the release of Google Keep, which I very much look forward to trying.

I wonder if they have chosen to ignore whether a photo is displayed correctly or not?

What do you guys think?

I have been trying to use EN for the past year solely to look at some old (sideways thumbnailed) photo notes that I haven't moved, and to maintain a simple running text note ( EN lately can't even keep the text note consistently synchronised between desktop and mobile for some reason so I have recently given up on that.)

Sorry that this post is somewhat negative, but then so is the situation on this particular topic.

Archived