(Archived) What does moving "directory" mean for rebuilding database on mba lion?

everwondering

Idea

This is my most recent support ticket help as of Feb 14, 2013: 

We show that for some reason the rebuild process isn't working properly and it's still causing your account to migrate from previous data.

Can you please redo the steps below but with a slight change (that we've made already so just follow them exactly):

(If you are unable to open Evernote at all, you may skip to step 1.)

If you have some important Local Only or unsynced notes, be sure to read the directions at the end of this email to safeguard your information. Otherwise please try the following:

Please try moving your Evernote database directory so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

1. Quit Evernote
  2. Your database is in a hidden directory. You can access it by opening the Finder, then selecting "Go" from the top menu and hitting the "Option" key. Once you have done that, you'll see the "Library" folder pop up.
  3. Select it.
  4. Then, go to:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts and move the entire directory to another place.  
    What place? the desktop?
  5. Then, try opening Evernote again. All of your notes from the service will now synchronize and create a new local database.

*If you do have any Local Only notebooks, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.  I don't have notes to worry about as I think I've got them synced from here.

So I don't know whether to move the whole evernote folder or the one with my user name. This evernote is kind of working now. Is another place to move the entire directory (evernote folder with everything in it?) to the desktop? And then what do I do with it?  (so I remember where it went and then do I rename it or what?) 

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Did you respond to your help ticket? If an Evernote support staffer gave you directions, you should probably go back to them to get clarification if you don't understand them. Your feedback helps them to give better directions (hopefully) in the future. Also, if you don't continue the conversation, they will likely close out the ticket (I think that there's a 2-week timeout on these things).

Yes, I responded.  And it takes 24 hours or more for them to get back to me.  The chat refers me to support. So if I have questions, I have to wait again and I end up not having another two hours to do this.  I don't know what they mean about entire directory. Before it was the username folder, now I don't know if they mean the folder that says evernote in the application support folder. evernote then accounts then evernote and then my username folder.  There are also all these other folders under evernote such as atlas, bootstrap, data, logs, skis, undo support and I think I moved some container plist that I shouldn't have awhile back when I was supposed to get rid of everything.  I have some kind of crash files appearing in my  trash now.  if I could just talk to someone on the phone to walk me through this, it would have saved hours and hours and days and days of time.

I do appreciate your help.

• Level 5*

Not being a Mac user, I can't help you with much specific knowledge of your situation. However, at a guess, I would say that you should start with moving your account folder (the one with your name on it) first, to see if that works. You can move it anywhere convenient -- the desktop should be fine. Maybe an actual Mac user will chime in, in the meantime.

Archived