(Archived) Evernote for Windows 4.6.3 Beta 1

dlu

Hello People of Evernote!

We have a new beta with some bug fixes. We fixed the "CC myself" issue with business email addresses. We also fixed an edge case with moving notes back and forth between two business notebooks.

We added in Romanian language, if anyone happens to see translation issues, please let us know. We also did numerous fixes to drag and drop functionality, especially with attachments.

Cheers!

• Level 5*

Thanks DLU. 

Have you been brought up to speed on ticket #5848? It is really irritating. I have submitted a video on what happens and just installed the new version and it is doing the same thing. It can easily be reproduced by doing a series of quick Saved Searches (I have the Saved Searches dropdown pinned to my toolbar) then trying to navigate back up to notebooks that are at the top of the lefthand pane. It takes 3 clicks and several scrolls every time to get it to work.

I was very happy about this news and have taken the risk of installing this beta-version (4.6.3.8008 Prerelease) because the handling of attachments is very buggy but important for me and I was in hope that the attachment-bugs has been solved. But what have you changed?

• Dragging an attachment named "Test.123.odt" from EN to the desktop still renames it to "Test.odt"
  • Saving an attachment and re-attaching this attachments via drag&drop still results in an empty file namend "attachment.bin"
  • Dragging the same attachment the second time from Desktop to Evernote does not work (even when the originial attachment is deleted just before).
  • Editing an attachment by opening (double click) it in Evernote still does not change the timestamp of the attachment.
  • Renaming an attachment still does not show the new name, you still have to switch between notes to see the new name.

So I can't find any difference  :(

Thanks DLU. 

Have you been brought up to speed on ticket #5848? It is really irritating. I have submitted a video on what happens and just installed the new version and it is doing the same thing. It can easily be reproduced by doing a series of quick Saved Searches (I have the Saved Searches dropdown pinned to my toolbar) then trying to navigate back up to notebooks that are at the top of the lefthand pane. It takes 3 clicks and several scrolls every time to get it to work.

Let me check with the team, I thought that 5848 was fixed for this release. The exact same thing is still happening?

• Level 5*

Thanks DLU. 

Let me check with the team, I thought that 5848 was fixed for this release. The exact same thing is still happening?

Yup. Exactly. I cannot tell a diff after the update with regard to this bug.

I was very happy about this news and have taken the risk of installing this beta-version (4.6.3.8008 Prerelease) because the handling of attachments is very buggy but important for me and I was in hope that the attachment-bugs has been solved. But what have you changed?

• Dragging an attachment named "Test.123.odt" from EN to the desktop still renames it to "Test.odt"
  • Saving an attachment and re-attaching this attachments via drag&drop still results in an empty file namend "attachment.bin"
  • Dragging the same attachment the second time from Desktop to Evernote does not work (even when the originial attachment is deleted just before).
  • Editing an attachment by opening (double click) it in Evernote still does not change the timestamp of the attachment.
  • Renaming an attachment still does not show the new name, you still have to switch between notes to see the new name.

So I can't find any difference  :(

We fixed several issues with dragging an attachment within a note. We'll be looking into the points you described. Regarding attachments not changing timestamp, I believe that's an attachment created timestamp, not a last viewed timestamp

• Level 5*

Note that the bug where autocomplete when typing in tags has not been fixed. I think it has something to do with if the tag exists in another business notebook or personal notebook, it won't show up on the autocomplete list.  Obviously this is allowing new mistyped tags to get entered, which on a business account are a pain to get rid of as it involves going to the admin console.

We fixed several issues with dragging an attachment within a note. We'll be looking into the points you described. Regarding attachments not changing timestamp, I believe that's an attachment created timestamp, not a last viewed timestamp

Thank you for looking into it.

Until some versions ago, every time when I have edited an attachment and saved it back to Evernote the timestamp of the attachment has also changed. This was very comfortable because I could easily check that the edit has updated in Evernote. This has stopped with one of the latest versions. Only viewing an attachment should not change the timestamp.

Thank you for looking into it.

Until some versions ago, every time when I have edited an attachment and saved it back to Evernote the timestamp of the attachment has also changed. This was very comfortable because I could easily check that the edit has updated in Evernote. This has stopped with one of the latest versions. Only viewing an attachment should not change the timestamp.

I see, you're editing the attachment. I thought you were just double clicking and viewing it. I misunderstood

Note that the bug where autocomplete when typing in tags has not been fixed. I think it has something to do with if the tag exists in another business notebook or personal notebook, it won't show up on the autocomplete list.  Obviously this is allowing new mistyped tags to get entered, which on a business account are a pain to get rid of as it involves going to the admin console.

Noted. A possible work around is to drag the note onto a tag in the left sidebar. I think this occurs due to the way we're handling tags in the lower layers of our architecture. Doesn't mean we won't fix it, but we'll probably need to address it, along with other issues, in a bigger change.

• Level 5*

Dragging doesn't really work with hundreds of tags, unless you happen to be tagging something with something that starts with "A".

So, Evernote programmers, would it be possible to have a "letter summary" of the tags - so you can jump to tags that start with "Y" for example? That would make dragging easier.

• Level 5*

Don't think that solves the case where you have dozens of tags that start with Y

True, and besides, I'd rather the core problem be fixed than programming a workaround that doesn't solve the issue.

• Level 5*

Dragging doesn't really work with hundreds of tags, unless you happen to be tagging something with something that starts with "A".

So, Evernote programmers, would it be possible to have a "letter summary" of the tags - so you can jump to tags that start with "Y" for example? That would make dragging easier.
The Assign Tags dialog (Ctrl+Alt+T) has this property. You also get a similar behavior by just adding the tag directly to a note (or multiple notes, if you have them selected), since the tag entry field has a typeahead tag list filter.
  • Level 5*

The Assign Tags dialog (Ctrl+Alt+T) has this property. You also get a similar behavior by just adding the tag directly to a note (or multiple notes, if you have them selected), since the tag entry field has a typeahead tag list filter.

I am aware of that - I usually use the Assign Tags dialog because dragging and dropping onto the tag list doesn't work when you have over 1000 tags. Having suggested the "simple" summary, I am not sure how that would work given the behavior of the tag list at present. I'll stick with Ctr-Alt-T, thank you!

• Level 5*

Is this the autocomplete I referenced? Because if so, it doesn't work properly if you have a business account. Known issue. Not at my PC to see what you are referring to exactly.

Archived