(Archived) Scanning receipts, cards, etc into Evernote

• Level 5*

Hi again - your two questions actually have only one answer..

There are hand scanners which can be portable,  and in some cases can scan and (presumably) store the scan or connect via wifi to transfer information.  It depends on exactly where and how you want to use a portable device.  Most scanners these days are pretty small - I'd suggest you go into a local electronics store and have a look at the items they have available,  then do a web search when you can be a little more specific as to what you need.  None of them will send 'direct' to Evernote - the scan has to go to your account via your normal login or your account email address and I don;t believe there are any scanners that will email their scans without being connected to something first.  I could be wrong.

Your alternative to scanning would be to use a mobile phone plus a 'scanning' app - that basically uses the device camera to generate a PDF or JPG file - which can then be sent to Evernote;  or a camera - good quality pictures are as good as scans.  But beware the size and your monthly upload limit.

I have an Android 'phone that takes pictures which automatically upload to DropBox,  and I could use IFTT to take each new picture as it arrives and send it to my Evernote account.  A certain level of geekiness is required to set things like that up however - if you don't have the skill or the inclination to acquire it,  I'd stick to standard scans.

In all cases a good web search will give you more information about processes.

Hope that helps.

The answer you are looking for is available via the Doxie scanner.

This is battery powered and you can use it to scan in documents and then load onto your computer/Evernote when you want at some later date.

I take mine with me when commuting to work on my bike!

Regards

Chris

1. Is there some small scanning device that is recommended for scanning content in for Evernote?

2. Is there a way to scan content directly into Evernote without having to use a computer?

Thanks.

I scan most things directly using my iPhone now-a-days.  You can use the Evernote app to scan directly into the app, but I use Scanner Pro which uploads directly to EN and I believe does a much better job scanning.  I do have a Canon P-150 that I use for things that I do not use my iPhone for and it works perfectly.

I use my Android phone with these two apps:

• CamScanner (pro version):
    Takes the picture and automatically improves it (removes distortion, adjusts contrast etc.), creates pdf
  • Reduce Photo Size:
    Does what it says

As you can share the picture between these apps and from both of them directly into Evernote, this works surprisingly smooth. 

You'll find a bit more detail here http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33695-evernote-smart-notebook-by-moleskine-for-android/?p=188971 and here http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33695-evernote-smart-notebook-by-moleskine-for-android/?p=189088.

• 3 months later...

It is also possible to do this without any app.  I snap a photo (of a receipt for example) on my iPhone, transfer it to my Mac via Preview, then drag the photo to Evernote.     This is actually more steps than I would like but accumulating several receipt photos on my phone will greatly reduce the number of steps since they can be transferred in one step.

I understand from other threads that it is possible to automate transfer to EN, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Good luck.

• Level 5*

It is also possible to do this without any app.  I snap a photo (of a receipt for example) on my iPhone, transfer it to my Mac via Preview, then drag the photo to Evernote.     This is actually more steps than I would like but accumulating several receipt photos on my phone will greatly reduce the number of steps since they can be transferred in one step.

I understand from other threads that it is possible to automate transfer to EN, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Good luck.

If you are on an iPhone, you can stick a photo into a note by selecting it from within the app (open note > camera icon > choose existing).

If you are working with receipts, you might want to consider an app like scannerpro or jotnot. They'll dramtically reduce the size and there are a bunch of other handy features.

• 1 month later...

Hi iRabb and welcome to the forum,

Scan into a specific folder and have it set up as in 'import folder' to Evernote. Under the 'tools' menu if you have not used it before.

Best regards

Chris

What about desktop scanning directly into the desktop version of Evernote? Can that be easily done (or done at all)?

Thanks,

iRabb

What client are you using?

Hi iRabb and welcome to the forum,

Scan into a specific folder and have it set up as in 'import folder' to Evernote. Under the 'tools' menu if you have not used it before.

Best regards

Chris

Evernote import folders only exist on the Windows client.  There is an alternative for Mac, but it's not within the EN app.  (Last I knew.)

Archived