(Archived) Tagging

The more I read about tags in Evernote 5 for the Mac the more confused I get.  All I want to do is tag one specific note at a time, not simultaneously tag an entire notebook every time I make a tag for a note.  When I have a specific note highlighted, available to edit, etc., I look at the top of the note and see "click to add tags," but it doesn't say where to click, and the wording itself is greyed out and unavailable to click.  When I go to the Menu at the top and click File/New Tag and I make a tag for what I think is a specific note, and make another tag for another specific highlighted note and so on, tags for different notes in one specific notebook, when I look at all the tags I've made it appears they're all thrown in together in one big pot.  Is there no differentiation between tags for different notes in one notebook, or even between tags for different notes in different notebooks?  I'm not understanding something really basic about tags and the more you can explain it for me the more I'll appreciate it.

• Level 5*

You cannot tag an entire notebook; tags only apply to single notes. In addition, tags are global to all of your notebooks; there is no way to associate particular tags with particular notebooks (except by your own use of Evernote). A tag applied to a note in one notebook is exactly the same tag as applied to a note in another notebook. You can organize your tags into trees to make them easier to navigate.

So if tags are global to all notebooks, it's possible a tag applied to a note in one notebook could later easily pull up a slew of other different notes in other different notebooks?  

I'm not trying to be funny or give anybody a hard time.  I guess my confusion about how the tags apply started when I saw there was mention on the note screen of tagging ("click to add tags"), but nowhere to click and tag a note from the note screen itself; you have to do it from the menu outside or with a shortcut.

• Level 5*

So if tags are global to all notebooks, it's possible a tag applied to a note in one notebook could later easily pull up a slew of other different notes in other different notebooks?  

I'm not trying to be funny or give anybody a hard time.  I guess my confusion about how the tags apply started when I saw there was mention on the note screen of tagging ("click to add tags"), but nowhere to click and tag a note from the note screen itself; you have to do it from the menu outside or with a shortcut.

Hi. Tags apply to notes. They work across notebooks, so Note A in Notebook 1 and Note B in Notebook 2 will both appear if they have the same tag and you search for tag:<tag name>. If you only want to see the notes in Notebook 1 with that tag, search for notebook:<notebook 1> tag:<tag name>. 

• Level 5*

A tag is just a label that you can apply to any number of your notes. You can find all notes with that tag by using the tag in a search (e.g., tag:MyTag), or by clicking on it in the tag tree. In addition, a note can have multiple tags. You can combine tag search terms with other search terms, like notebook filters (e.g., notebook:MyNotebook) text searches, date searches, attribute searches, etc. 

Archived