(Archived) Moving Evernote w/Local Notebooks to New Computer?

jrmm

Hi. Old XP computer mostly dead. Pulled the custom EN directory off the drive, installed EN from web on new Win8 computer and created new custom directory with same name and all EN data from old computer. When I try to change the new EN's directory, it tells me it will overwrite existing data. If I do it the other way around--overwrite the new EN's data with the old, I don;t know which files to overwrite, or even if the EN versions are compatible and I might mess something up. 

My Q...

How do I force the newly-installed EN to use the old EN's user-stored data (including LOCAL notebooks) -- notes, tags, hopefully settings as well? I have not done a synch yet, haven't done anything for fear I'll ***** something up.

Thanks for any help!

Hi. Old XP computer mostly dead. Pulled the custom EN directory off the drive, installed EN from web on new Win8 computer and created new custom directory with same name and all EN data from old computer. When I try to change the new EN's directory, it tells me it will overwrite existing data. If I do it the other way around--overwrite the new EN's data with the old, I don;t know which files to overwrite, or even if the EN versions are compatible and I might mess something up.

My Q...

How do I force the newly-installed EN to use the old EN's user-stored data (including LOCAL notebooks) -- notes, tags, hopefully settings as well? I have not done a synch yet, haven't done anything for fear I'll ***** something up.

Thanks for any help!

This is comparable to a backup/restore operation. You're backing up from the old computer & restoring to the new one. Please search the board on this as it has been discussed at great length already. I know I've posted very detailed information. A lot. Then, if you have any questions, please post.

EDIT: I don't use Win 8. But am "assuming" it uses an exb file like all prior Windows versions.... This should be confirmed with EN staff.

• Level 5*

Evernote note data is stored in the .exb file that you should have saved. This includes your local notebooks and tags, but not settings (most of those are stored in the registry). If you are using the standard Evernote client (i.e., not the Metro client, in which case, I don't know how to proceed), then you should be able to replace the .exb from your new install with the one that you saved. That's assuming that you haven't added any new ones to your Win 8 notes database, in which case you will have to figure something out, like exporting the new notes from your Win 8 install to disk in ENEX format, switching in the old .exb and then importing in the .ENEX files you previously exported. In any case, proceed with care.

Archived