Need to print and/or PDF export multiple notes

AMarie

Idea

I often need to print out one document containing all the notes in a notebook (I create notebooks for projects). Sometimes there are 40+ notes. There is no way to concatenate these into one document, which seems odd.

A related feature request would be to export multiple notes (or all the ones in a notebook) to PDF. Ideally, with an automatically-generated PDF bookmark for each note in the PDF.

Anyone know of a solution?

thanks

AM

3 replies to this idea

I often need to print out one document containing all the notes in a notebook (I create notebooks for projects). Sometimes there are 40+ notes. There is no way to concatenate these into one document, which seems odd.

A related feature request would be to export multiple notes (or all the ones in a notebook) to PDF. Ideally, with an automatically-generated PDF bookmark for each note in the PDF.

Anyone know of a solution?

thanks

AM

You can merge notes, at least on the Windows client. But that will create a single note with 40 PDFs & may even fail if the resultant note would exceed your note limit. OTOH, if you are wanting to take 40 notes, each note containing a PDF and make a note with one PDF, IMO & IME, it's not odd that the PDFs are not able to be concantonated into a single PDF. The reason is that each note is just that - an individual note. If the latter is what you're wanting to do, AFAIK, you could print each note to PDF & then concantonate the resultant PDFs into a single PDF.

I too would love to have the ability to print multiple notes into a single paginated PDF. So here's my vote for putting that in the Evernote backlog.

Do you know what *does* take multiple files and print to a single, paginated PDF? By default? The NEAT scanner software that comes with the Neat desktop scanners: http://www.neat.com/support/downloads/

Select multiple scans, then FILE > PRINT and they are presented as a single multi-page document. On the Mac OS, you can print to PDF from there. Voila!

So it *can* be done, Evernote. Hint.

Oddly enough I just recently posted something along the lines of this.  I wrote an AppleScript to join PDFs across multiple notes into a single new note containing a single PDF.  If you just want to open the joined PDF instead of creating a new note with the PDF attached (which you might want if the final PDF is expected to be huge and/or single-use), you can just knock a few lines off near the end of the script, replacing:

-- Create a new note with a title built from the titles of the selected notesset my text item delimiters to title_separatorset new_note to create note from file output_filepath title (title_list as text)-- Open the newly created note in a new window so the user doesn't have to wonder-- where the thing is and if it was actually created.open note window with new_note

with:

do shell script "open " & (quoted form of output_filepath)

If you're uncomfortable with AppleScript, OS X's Automator app has an action in it to combine PDFs.  I could post an Automator workflow for that, but it wouldn't really be Evernote-specific.

You can also combine PDFs in Preview, but the UI is a little touchy.  You have to open thumbnail view and then play around dragging page thumbnails around.

Archived