Shared Notebook - Free the Tags

Please add the ability for users of shared notebooks to add tags and for those tags to maintain the hierarchy.

My business partner and I got set up with premium accounts and we would like to share a notebook of shared projects. Currently, only the owner can add tags, which greatly restricts the abilty to colaborate with using shared notebooks.

If my partner wants to create a new project and add tags that I have not used yet, but do have in my account, she cannot.

The reason we purchased the premium accounts was the abilit to share notebooks.

I understand the logic to limit who has permission to add tags, but we should be able to give this permission to someone, especially if they are another premium user.

Please add this so sharing of notebooks is a true full two way sharing.

• Level 5*
If my partner wants to create a new project and add tags that I have not used yet, but do have in my account, she cannot.

Hi - welcome to the forums.  I didn't understand this comment - tags you've not used,  but do have ?? 

I do agree the whole process and content of sharing could do with a makeover to 1) make sharing both easier and more granular and 2) to add value from the recipient of the sharing's point of view.

It's customary here to offer some workarounds for any problems,  but I can't see many options here - apart from sharing a note/ notebook which lists current and proposed tags from which both of you update your tagging structure on a regular basis.

Have you looked at Evernote Business to see whether the sharing options there are more in line with your needs?

Hi gazumped. Thanks for the quick reply.

It is hard to tell from the information listed on the website if Evernote Business handles sharing of tags differently or the same as Evernote.  

Since there were no limitations listed in the Premium description, I thought that I was getting something that would fit our needs. They should update how they describe what  Evernote will do. It should be called something other than 'sharing', as sharing denotes a certain level of equality of ownership.

In today's technical vernacular and in most programs that offer network sharing of resources or files support permission levels that can adjust the level of control a non-owner has.

This is what Evernote really needs. So someone can limit what people do to a shared notebook at the same time allow full control by others to facilitate true sharing.

Hi - welcome to the forums.  I didn't understand this comment - tags you've not used,  but do have ?? 

If my partner wants to create a new project and add tags that I have not yet used, but already exist in my list of tags, she cannot.

We used nested tags for projects, sub-projects, project details, etc. When my partner clicks on the shared notebook, her list of nested tags disappears and she only sees an alphabetical listing of the tags I have already used in notes within the shared notebook. If I have created a tag and used it in one of my non-shared notebooks, but have not yet used that tag in a note within our shared notebook, it will not appear in the un-nested alphabetical list of tags she can choose from.

So, if she wants to make a note and tag it with a sub-project tag that I haven't used yet, she won't see it in her list.

Plus the list of tags when the shared notebook is selected is very hard to use now that it is just an un-nested list/mess.

I just did some more testing and when my partner is looking at the shared notebook, the only tags she sees are the ones currently assigned to the existing notes. If I delete a note and it is the only note containing a specific tag, that tag will no longer be seen by my partner. So, delete the last note that uses a tag, essentially delete the tag.

In addition, the viewer can not drag tags into new notes, they have to be typed, but without the nice autofill feature in normal notebooks. This makes it quite inconvenient for viewers to work with new notes and tags.

Should really change the name of the feature from "Sharing notebooks" to viewing other people's notebooks with limited ability to add new notes. Kind of like sharing a car, but you can't drive it certain places, while I can drive anywhere I like.
(Looks like Evernote agrees. The website was updated while I was typing this. They now have an accurate description: "Evernote Premium users can allow others to edit their notes...")

I would really like to see this feature developed more so true sharing of notebooks can occur. It was the main reason that my partner and I moved to implement Evernote and purchased Evernote Premium.

Tag sharing is possible in the Business version. But it is still a bit clumsy at the moment.

What does "still a bit clumsy" mean?

Thanks for the quick replies. Great community here.
  • 4 months later...

Hi

Basically you can share a notebook but not co-create a notebook? Not being able to add new tags makes sharing a notebook useless to me as well. Is there any workarounds, other then the business account, which may or may not share tags?

Thanks

I couldn't find a workaround and gave up.

Evernote even changed how they describe "sharing" notes. They deleted the reference to sharing in the Go Premium section. Now they say "Work Together" and you can edit another's notes.

It seems Evernote is using their Business product to target this need.

• Level 5*

Hi

Basically you can share a notebook but not co-create a notebook? Not being able to add new tags makes sharing a notebook useless to me as well. Is there any workarounds, other then the business account, which may or may not share tags?

Thanks

Basically, you can share a notebook, and you can decide whether the person shared to can create/edit notes or not. You cannot share your entire account, which is what you'd need to allow another user to create a notebook in your account (what you mean by "co-create a notebook", I am guessing).

As for tags, the person shared to cannot create tags in a notebook that is not their own; you're limited to the tags created by the notebook owner. Again, to allow another user to create tags in your account, you'd need to be able to share your account, as tags are account-specific, not notebook-specific. Evernote doesn't let you share accounts in that way.

• 1 year later...

The workaround is to keep a note in the share notebook with all the tags you want to be available to your shared users. We title it "z Don't remove this note" and explain why in the text. We date it previous to any other notes so it's always at the bottom. We've been doing this for a while and it seems to be a reliable way to give access to our shared users to the tags we want them to use. We are today having trouble (hence my browsing the forum) but it's the first time in a couple of years we've had trouble so I'm assuming the solution still works.

Archived