(Archived) Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M Question

Wirebender

Idea

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M scanner.  When I scan a document, I would like the new Evernote note  ;)  to open in a new window.

Instead it is just placed in my Inbox notebook.  That means I have to go hunt it down and give it a title, tags, notebook, etc.

My previous scanner opened the new note immediately in a new window that popped right up after scanning.

Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW - Yes, I did buy my scanner 2 days before the new iX500 was released.   :angry:

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M scanner.  When I scan a document, I would like the new Evernote note  ;)  to open in a new window.

Instead it is just placed in my Inbox notebook.  That means I have to go hunt it down and give it a title, tags, notebook, etc.

My previous scanner opened the new note immediately in a new window that popped right up after scanning.

BTW - Yes, I did buy my scanner 2 days before the new iX500 was released.   :angry:

Hahaha. I don't have an answer for you, but I saw that last line and it reminded me that I just watched an unboxing video today for the iX500

I cannot really see any "need" for me to get it (I have an S300 right now), but I would still like it! It's so much faster (see the video at 3:15) and can handle many more papers at once. Pressing "scan" on your tablet and having it sent directly to the tablet is pretty cool, though, I probably don't "need" that either :)

I, too, don't know how to achieve what you want.  But I don't think it is possible. I use a ScanSnap S1500 (though a Mac user, I went with the Windows version. The only difference is the color and the price tag). Anyways, I have ScanSnap set to scan to a folder (my desktop) from where I use the "Open in Evernote ..." context menu which will open it in a new standalone note window.

The reason I do this is that I often have to remove pages from the resulting .pdf (or fix orientation) and this way is more economic in terms of the monthly upload allowance. 

Actually, I do know a possible solution ...

If you choose "Scan to folder" as the default option, you can apply folder actions (through Automator) that opens any .pdf-file in that folder in Evernote. Doing this will result Evernote in opening the file in a standalone window. Of course the files will remain in that folder even after they're saved in Evernote, so you'd have to go in and clean them out every now and then. But you'd have to do that with the built in "Scan to Evernote"-options in ScanSnap as well; it saves the resulting files in the Pictures folder by default.

Evernote used to do this by default and then they went and changed it. Grrrr.

Anyway, here is what I do;

• Create a directory to scan to - I used /Users/brad/ScanSnap/Evernote
  • In ScanSnap settings edit the 'Scan to Evernote' profile
    • Set the Application to None
    • Set the Save directory to the directory you created above
  • Create a Workflow in Automator like so
    • Choose 'Folder Action'
    • Set 'Folder Action receives files and folders added to' to your directory
    • Select 'Files and Folders on the leftmost panel'
    • Drag 'Get Folder Contents' into your workflow
    • Drag 'Open Finder Items' below it
    • Set 'Open With' in Open Finder Items to Evernote
    • Drag 'Move Finder Items to Trash' into the workflow as well if you don't want to keep the scanned files

You might also have to right-click on your new folder and choose 'Folder Actions Setup' to select the workflow to make it active.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your help guys.

I'll give it a try!

Update:  That's so cool.  It works great.  AND my first time to use Automator.

The only slight snag is that it does not work if another window is already open in Evernote.

Thanks again

The ScanDrop App used to be perfect for this.  It recently lost it's connection to Evernote but they claim to be working to get this fixed asap.  What is great about it is you scan your documents and it dumps them as medium sized thumbnails.  You then can delete any pages you don't want, Type the subject/headline, select the notebook you want the scan to go to and even type a note to go with it.  Then you click upload and it sends it to Evernote via the cloud.  You also could scan multiple items and they would continue building into one document.  Bottom line is it was nice to see what you were going to upload and where before you sent it on its way.

Hopefully it is fixed soon as I hate the other options.

There is a fix now. The zipped version of updated app, with a little
work, did the trick and I can scan right to Evernote again.  This update
is waiting for Apple approval before being made available as an update
through the Mac App Store.

Contact the ScanDrop
folks via email at their website and they will send you a link to
download the zipped app file.  When you expand it, it will show up as
ScanDrop 2.  I had to delete the old version of Scandrop, rename the new
one to just ScanDrop.  Since I'm using a Fujitsu Scanner which uses
ScanSnap manager software to connect i had to go into the ScanSnap
settings and set ScanDrop as the app to use for scanning to the cloud.

If that sounds like a lot of work, you could wait until the update shows
up in the App store.  Could be days but could also be more than a week.
No way to know.

PS - The reason I went to the
trouble to change the app from ScanDrop 2, to ScanDrop was because I was
concerned that future updates would come down as ScanDrop and then
confuse things.

OK, all this is great for Mac users, but what about a solution for Windows users? 

I scan sometimes 20-30 documents a day an by the end of the week I've got a ton of notes that need tagged, titled and put in the right notebook. It would be so much simple to just be able to quickly do all this right after scanning, without all the extra keystrokes. Any solutions????? Thanks!

Archived