Evernote for class notes

nanacole

I am a law school student and I use Evernote (Mac) to take class notes. I would like to use it to make outlines for class as well. However, I am running into a problem. I cannot make multi-level lists.

For example:

1. Sometimes
  2. A list
  3. Like this works

But,

1. Most

A. of the time

B. I need to make

I. Lists like this

II. To show

2. sub-levels of rules

3. etc.

A. Does that make sense?

Every time I try to use a numbered list and I hit [enter] for the next level and then [tab] to go to the for a sub-level, the numbers start over.

• Level 5*

I am a law school student and I use Evernote (Mac) to take class notes. I would like to use it to make outlines for class as well. However, I am running into a problem. I cannot make multi-level lists.

For example:

1. Sometimes
  2. A list
  3. Like this works

But,

1. Most

A. of the time

B. I need to make

I. Lists like this

II. To show

2. sub-levels of rules

3. etc.

A. Does that make sense?

Every time I try to use a numbered list and I hit [enter] for the next level and then [tab] to go to the for a sub-level, the numbers start over.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. The limited functionality in lists is something that others have posted about (searching on this forum will find lots of posts), and I think one of the more popular workarounds has been to use markdown or WorkFlowy (https://workflowy.com/) to copy paste into Evernote. It is not ideal, but my guess is that these capabilities will not be increased in the short term.

I am not sure if Evernote already has this feature, if so I haven't found it.

I am a law school student and I use Evernote (Mac) to take class notes. I would like to use it to make outlines for class as well. However, I cannot make multi-level lists.

For example:

1. Sometimes
  2. A list
  3. Like this works

But,

1. Most

A. of the time

B. I need to make

I. Lists like this

II. To show

2. sub-levels of rules

3. etc.

A. Does that make sense?

Another suggestion... I was unable to find two symbols I use relatively frequently.

Suggestions .pdf

• Level 5*

I am not sure if Evernote already has this feature, if so I haven't found it.

I am a law school student and I use Evernote (Mac) to take class notes. I would like to use it to make outlines for class as well. However, I cannot make multi-level lists.

For example:

1. Sometimes
  2. A list
  3. Like this works

But,

1. Most

A. of the time

B. I need to make

I. Lists like this

II. To show

2. sub-levels of rules

3. etc.

A. Does that make sense?

Another suggestion... I was unable to find two symbols I use relatively frequently.

Hi. I have merged your other thread with this one, as they are the same topic.

• 5 months later...

One possible solution is to use Evernote housed template notes or (my own method) to use a TextExpander template. Because TextExpander (or aText) allow for rich text, you can create a well formatted outline template and assign it a shortcut like ",,outline". On your Mac, all you need to do is open up a new note and type ",,outline". Then you fill in as needed and delete as needed. Its not perfect, and writing in Markdown is my own solution, but it might be helpful. 

stephen
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived