Evernote Password Protection

Nizami13

Hello !

i am one of the heavy users of Evernote and i love using it but i think there is something that would be great if Evernote considered it.

Evernote icon is always on my taskbar, and there are some days that my sisters use my laptop and i would say, i dont not feel comfortable if my sisters read some of my notes in Evernote because they are not password protected. I think that would be great if you add password protection in your next upgrades so, people like me can protect some notebooks which are personal to them.. That is why i dont keep most of my very personal notes in Evernote.. I have to keep them in other softwares so nobody can get in.. Please comment on my topic, i would be grateful to you. Thanks :)

• Level 5*

Just sign out of Evernote when you are done using it. Any other casual user will need to know the password to sign back in to view your notes.

Better still, set up a separate account on your laptop for your sisters to use.

Just sign out of Evernote when you are done using it. Any other casual user will need to know the password to sign back in to view your notes.

Better still, set up a separate account on your laptop for your sisters to use.

Thanks a lot for advice...

Still i think, Evernote should consider password protection

I completely agree there should be a passcode lock similar to the mobile device. I use personally and for work, but am considering going letting my premium membership go because i don't have the ability to lock notes on a desktop whether it is personal or for business. I don't understand the notes from evangelists on this or other posts that say logout. Why doesn't the dev team step up and provide this option just like I have on my iPad?

I would also like the ability to password protect a notebook.  I also have an iPad and iPhone that I sometimes allow my children use (to quickly check their email or such) and I'd feel better if I knew certain confidential files were not viewable. I keep Evernote running all the time and have it automatically login for convenience.

Other programs allow us to password protect only those files that circumstances warrant (without having to password protect the entire application). It sure would be nice if we could do the same thing with only those few Evernote notebooks that warrant it.

I would also like the ability to password protect a notebook.  I also have an iPad and iPhone that I sometimes allow my children use (to quickly check their email or such) and I'd feel better if I knew certain confidential files were not viewable. I keep Evernote running all the time and have it automatically login for convenience.

Other programs allow us to password protect only those files that circumstances warrant (without having to password protect the entire application). It sure would be nice if we could do the same thing with only those few Evernote notebooks that warrant it.

This is the Windows section.  The iOS app has a PIN code already.

For those who want a PIN on the Windows app, use Game Protector.  It's free.

http://www.gameprotector.com/

• 2 months later...

I think it is a great idea for people who like to use Evernote for work, personal and school use and do not want to have to create separate accounts for entering info. When you are on an account on a network you do not want the administrator changing your password then logging into your account and having access to your evernotes.  At the same time remote access programs such as LogMeIn allow remote administrators to take over the computer as the user that has it logged in.  'Not good for users who lock the workstation but stay logged on.

Just my 3 sense worth.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older post, but has there been any progress in getting PIN protection for the Evernote app on Windows?  I have the same concerns as the OP, and would like to require a PIN every time EN is maximized from the task bar, as well as when it loads.

I'm sure many other people would love this feature.  This seems like such basic security to include.

• Level 5*

No, there hasn't, and I'd guess there won't be. The general consensus is that you can use separate login accounts, and/or log out of Evernote. No matter what, anyone who has physical access to your computer can get into your notes, unless you've used some sort of disk encryption; they're just stored in a SQLite database (which is unencrypted, last I knew).

• Level 5*

You have to rely on your user account Windows screen save password at this point.  Not specific to EN, but sort of works the same.  Unless you don't have individual accounts on the machine...

Archived