(Archived) Import of MS Word files (Notebook Layout View)

JGAlbert

Idea

Up to now I wrote all my meeting minutes in a word document in Notebook-Style. Is there a way to import this file with 50 notes as 50 single notes in Evernote with automatically created headlines? Yes, I can import them with copy/paste, but this would be a huge task I want to avoid.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Up to now I wrote all my meeting minutes in a word document in Notebook-Style. Is there a way to import this file with 50 notes as 50 single notes in Evernote with automatically created headlines? Yes, I can import them with copy/paste, but this would be a huge task I want to avoid.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Dragging Word files into Evernote will create 50 notes with 50 attachments. Copy/paste will work (as you noted), but it is not much fun. Using Automator to convert the Word files to HTML (or text, if formatting doesn't matter) and then dragging them into Evernote will create 50 notes, just as you would like. However, unless they are text, they won't be quite "normal" (maybe they will behave a little different with line wraps and so forth).

If it were me, I would convert all of the Word files to text and drag them in, but it just depends on what you want to achieve: notes to view, or notes to edit.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the quick reply. The situation is a bit more complicated. The minutes are in 1 word-file, with 50 sections (s. screenshot). It would be great, to find an option to split them up in 50 notes in Evernote...

Oh goodness. That is a bit complicated. In the time it has taken us to correspond about this, you'd probably be about done with copy/paste, so I'd go that route myself. It just doesn't seem worth the effort to search for a way to automate something like this, because (I hope) this is only a one-time thing for you.

• Level 5*

Yes, I thought already. If Word would allow a good export, would be easier. Yes, I don't need it regularly, just once. I just thought, that is is maybe someone, who had experiences... ;-)

Yeah. I usually post here first as well before I leap into something that seems troublesome and time consuming. In this case, I bet there is someone out there with a cool Apple Script for this, or maybe even a Word ninja of some sort, but by the time they see this thread, if they ever do, you'll be done and on your way with your project. For this kind of stuff I think Amazon's Mechanical Turk is probably ideal (http://aws.amazon.com/mturk/).

Yeah, that was also my idea. If you change the Notebook-Style back to Normal style, Word keeps the different sections within the header of the pages. But unfortunately those sections will be removed in the HTML and they create just one long HTML in the browser with the Text, but the source code uncovers different sections - but it is not visible. Maybe it must be started from a webserver in order to load the XMLs and so on. Whatever. At the end everything is in one crappy-coded file and it must be split... but it is not so urgent and I don't have the time to split it... but thanks for help!

Archived