(Archived) Problem searching with tags

notetakeingguy

I have used Evernote for Windows for a few years and I am suddenly having problems searching my notes. I find the Tag using the Tags menu item. Then I start typing in the search bar, and suddenly, it blanks out the tag I was using. I finish typing my search term, try pulling the tag down again from the Tags menu, and it erases my search term. I click on my Tag on the left hand tag list, then I start typing again in the search bar, and it erases my tag. It finally can search ONLY if I type first in the search bar, and choose the tag from the Tag list on the left, not from the Tag menu. This is a hard way to search. I have loved Evernote because its search ability, and this is really dragging my searching down. Or do I have some setting incorrect?

This post is exact what I am going to post here.

As "notetakeingguy" said, I have loved Evernote because its search ability.

If there is no easy way to search with both tag and keyword, why should we have tag.

Please do not remove any features without notification.

Please define clear search process which is suit for any researcher. if you are not able to do so, please respect whoever define search process by themselves.

Thanks a lot.

I will go back to former version of EN again. :huh:

• Level 5*
I find the Tag using the Tags menu item. Then I start typing in the search bar, and suddenly, it blanks out the tag I was using. I finish typing my search term, try pulling the tag down again from the Tags menu, and it erases my search term. I click on my Tag on the left hand tag list, then I start typing again in the search bar, and it erases my tag. It finally can search ONLY if I type first in the search bar, and choose the tag from the Tag list on the left, not from the Tag menu. This is a hard way to search. I have loved Evernote because its search ability, and this is really dragging my searching down. Or do I have some setting incorrect?

If you are talking about selecting tags from the Favorites bar first, then not being able to type in the search bar, then yes, that looks like a bug to me. It's inconsistent with the way that this works using the Tags panel on the left hand side of the display, and not very useful. Not sure if it's a regression from prior versions; I doubt very much that it's by intention -- it doesn't really make sense, I'd recommend using the Tag panel for now.

• Level 5*

Seems to be intermittently failing with the tags panel, now that I look a bit more closely (I tried it before I posted above and it was fine). Mostly it works for me, but I can replicate the problem by performing a saved search first, then clicking on a tag in the tag panel, then clicking in the search info control.

Something is definitely awry.

I have used Evernote for Windows for a few years and I am suddenly having problems searching my notes. I find the Tag using the Tags menu item. Then I start typing in the search bar, and suddenly, it blanks out the tag I was using. I finish typing my search term, try pulling the tag down again from the Tags menu, and it erases my search term. I click on my Tag on the left hand tag list, then I start typing again in the search bar, and it erases my tag. It finally can search ONLY if I type first in the search bar, and choose the tag from the Tag list on the left, not from the Tag menu. This is a hard way to search. I have loved Evernote because its search ability, and this is really dragging my searching down. Or do I have some setting incorrect?

notetakeingguy,

Thanks for the report - ticket #5960 has been filed for this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

notetakeingguy,

Thanks for the report - ticket #5960 has been filed for this issue.

Thank you, it is really helpful... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, please keep this up. search within tags is the number one feature I use and I used hundres times a day. it worked wonderfully until a new release sometime earlier this year, I think. as mentioned by other user, this appears to be intermittent problem to me as well but not working at all most of the time. Thanks

They still have not fixed this problem. One workaround is the following: choose your tag from the menu so it appears on the tag list on the left. Then type in your search words, which erases the tag from the search box. Then hit the Control key and click on the tag on the left hand side of the screen. It's a pain, but that's the only way around this. I'm really disappointed because I use tags and words together to search ALL THE TIME, and this change, where if you choose a tag or a word it erases the other, has definitely slowed down my search ability.

They still have not fixed this problem. One workaround is the following: choose your tag from the menu so it appears on the tag list on the left. Then type in your search words, which erases the tag from the search box. Then hit the Control key and click on the tag on the left hand side of the screen. It's a pain, but that's the only way around this. I'm really disappointed because I use tags and words together to search ALL THE TIME, and this change, where if you choose a tag or a word it erases the other, has definitely slowed down my search ability.

Ah, thanks much for the tip. the ctrl key does make it work somewhat. like you said, it is a pain though, not intuitive at all. thanks again.

• 4 months later...

Archived