Jump to content

(Archived) Evernote fatal error in windows 7


Recommended Posts

I got a fatal error with public release when I tried the same operation that has been fatal erroring me since 4.6 started:

1. in the note list, the middle pane, click on a note

2. scroll down the pane past the bottom, shift click on a note. So far, so good, this is a standard windows multi-select sequence and Evernote selects the notes and brings up the merge dialog in the main window.

3. Click merge: Fatal error.

From that point on, starting Evernote always gives a fatal error. I have to uninstall using Revo and also delete all the local files. Reinstall evernote and things are fine except that it takes a long time to rebuild the data base, as in hours.

In my case I have a calendar notebook, with one entry for each day. I want to select all the notes from December and merge them into a single note to reduce clutter. The click, shift-click method is the obvious way to do this, much better than CTL-clicking each one.


Brandon Smith


Link to comment

I am having the same issue. Evernote will no longer load. I get a "Fatal Error" when launching. I've uninstalled and reinstalled versions 4.6.2, 4.6.1, and 4.5.10. All give the fatal error and shuts down. I was able to load 4.4.2 and with no errors. I'm dead in the water. Please, any suggestions. During the install, I've shut down all applications. The error message says:

Evernote.exe v4.5.10.7472 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Same error message for 4.5, 4.6.1 and 4.6.2.

No other information is provided. I can see my notes behind the error message. I can see them and work with them on my phone or iPad.

Link to comment

The problem is that once you get this error, you will continue to get it until the local database is blown away. I think a more elegant way to recover from a database error needs to be put in place. (I've had an app do this kind of thing when I got the list logic in the database proc wrong; I had to put in a logging mechanism to see which proc was causing the problem, then fix the SQL, which had a simple math error when the selection list being sent to the DB went across page boundaries).

work around.

First: DO NOT ever multi-select notes from the note list using the standard windows technique of click, then shift click on the other end of range.

Second. Uninstall completly. I've found using Revo uninstaller works best, since it tracks down all related files and allows you to blow them out of the water I suppose you could do a regular uninstall and simply delete the files yourself, but you also need to blow away the related registry entries.

Third: install latest and greatest -- you'll be starting from scratch, so it can take several hours to rebuild the local database.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...