(Archived) Note2Self works very nicely with EN

I've just discovered a nice additional way to get voice notes into EN: Note2Self, made by the Pocket Informant folks. I'm using it on the iPhone ($1.99 in the app store). Relative to some other ways of doing it, the nice things are:

-Unlimited recording time

-You can set it up to send automatically after recording ends, no further buttons to press

-Adjustable recording quality (the middle level is perfect: not huge files but clear as a bell, much clearer than dial2do)

-Costless after buying the software

In my estimation, it's easier to use and has better recording quality than EN voice notes on the iPhone.

You can read more about the iPhone version here:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/products ... elf_iphone

There are also versions for Blackberries and WM devices but I don't know whether they're as nice.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way: just a loyal user of the WM version of Pocket Informant for many years.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I've downloaded Note2Self and I'm having some issues with EN compatibility. When I send the finished recording to my private EN email, it shows up as pure text. There is no audio in the evernote ui and EN does not parse the location information. evergrateful, if you are having much better success with this product, could you help me get it working?

Hmm, I fear I have no insight to offer you, lavahot. When my Note2Self note arrives in EN, the body of the note consists of the following text:

"You can play the attached file using any standard sound player."

Below which there's a small rectangular box in which there's an icon, filename, time, date, and filesize. When I double-click on that box, my audio note plays in quicktime. This is true for both the web and Windows versions of EN. And I'm not using any special settings in Note2Self.

So all you get is the text and not the box?

Same problem here. Note2Self doesn't work with Evernote. The E-Mail arrives but only text is displayed, no audio. Not in the Web Interface, Windows Version or iPhone Evernote app. Just the text from the E-mail:

Subject: 
"Note2Self: 23.01.2009 22:52:25"

Text:
"You can play the attached file using any standard sound player.

Location 12.345678 North, 12.345678 East Google Map Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=12.345678,1.2345678(23.01.2009%2022:50:38)&spn=0.123456,0.123456&z=01"

I also tried all three recording qualities. And with the Location feature disabled. And with an empty E-mail subject in the Note2Self settings (just the date as subject). Nothing works. The outgoing E-Mail itself has the audio attachement, I tested it with another e-mail address.

Evernote Windows Version 3.1.0.1034(42045)

iPhone 2.2

Note2self 2.10

PS: Also the google maps link isn't recognized as a link in any Evernote application.

Weird. I wonder why it's working for me. The only other thing I can see that might possibly affect this is that I've entered a non-EN "from" email address in Note2Self. Seems like a long shot, but maybe this affects how EN processes incoming emails?

Weird. I wonder why it's working for me. The only other thing I can see that might possibly affect this is that I've entered a non-EN "from" email address in Note2Self. Seems like a long shot, but maybe this affects how EN processes incoming emails?

What do you mean with "non-EN "from" email address" (non-Evernote?)?

My "from" address in the Note2self settings is something like this: "a.b@c.de"

And Evernote shows

"a.b@c.de"

as the author of the note.

I was just speculating that if there were no "from" address, or if the "from" address were an Evernote address, that somehow Evernote would mishandle the receipt and processing of an incoming email. But you've just answered that question in the negative, so it's still a mystery at to why you're having a problem and I'm not.

Very strange! I don't know what I could try next. Do you use the newest versions of the apps too? Maybe Note2self changed something in their latest version?

Well, if Note2self is the problem then maybe version 3.0 that is supposed to come out next week will magically fix this for me :) If Evernote is the problem then I hope they will comment on this issue.

There's no mention of a similar problem on the Note2Self forum here:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?showforum=62

Can you send a Note2Self voice note to another email address? If not, then it might be a Note2Self problem. But It also might be a phone carrier problem. There was a recent discussion on this forum that might be relevant:

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8034&start=0

I'm using Note2Self 2.10 and EN for Windows 3.1.0.1034.

Can you send a Note2Self voice note to another email address? If not, then it might be a Note2Self problem. But It also might be a phone carrier problem. There was a recent discussion on this forum that might be relevant:

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8034&start=0

Thanks, but that's not it. I tested over WiFi. And other E-mail addresses work fine.

So there seems to be an issue with the detection of the voice note attachment on the Evernote server. Very strange, because it works for you and the Evernote server recognizes your Note2self audio attachments, but not mine. Well, now I'm hoping for a statement from the Evernote support staff. Maybe it shouldn't work and you're just lucky? :)

If the audio file isn't showing up in your account, but the text of the email is making it through, then it could be an issue with the format of the audio file. Free accounts can add files of the following types:

JPEG, GIF, PNG, PDF, WAV, MP3

Premium accounts can send in a file of any type.

Perhaps the file from their system is coming as some odd file type (i.e. it's not clearly identified as a WAV or MP3 file), so it's working for people with Premium accounts, but being discarded for Free accounts...?

Perhaps the file from their system is coming as some odd file type (i.e. it's not clearly identified as a WAV or MP3 file), so it's working for people with Premium accounts, but being discarded for Free accounts...?

Ah, that's it. The smallest (lowest quality) file Note2Self produces is a CAF file, and the other two types are AIFF files. It works for me cuz I have a premium account.

Ah, that's it. The smallest (lowest quality) file Note2Self produces is a CAF file, and the other two types are AIFF files. It works for me cuz I have a premium account.

Aw, that's lame. Engberg, would it be possible to change the EN policy to also allow AIFF files, specifically the medium or high-end types that Note2Self uses for free accounts? I know you guys make your money from subscriptions, and I would very much like to purchase a subscription, but I'm light on cash right now because school is starting again and all of my money has gone to tuition and books and supplies. If I can't use Note2Self or other long-format recorder with EN, then EN is essentially useless to me and I would REALLY like to keep using it. OR, would it be possible to make the iPhone EN app record up to 2 hours of voice instead of 5 minutes? I understand that memory and transfer may come up as an issue, but I'd be willing to wait if an upgrade were on the table.

Also, I don't think it's much of an issue, at least not for me, but being able to parse the geographical information that Note2Self relays would be nice. Actually, A thought just occured to me: Can Evernote take location information and catagorize notes based on thier location? Hmm...

Thank you so much for reading and and thanks for finding the problem.

Archived