(Archived) Scraping of My Notes by Evernote!

I am dumbfounded by the following quote from a VentureBeat article today:

Libin said the company will never mine data from your notes and sell it to advertisers. However, he believes that Evernote can analyze that data to benefit consumers and make them smarter. For instance, a recent update to the food app incorporates automatic recipe detection. In your mass of notes, Evernote’s technology can recognize food items and help you make a shopping list. [Emphasis added]

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/31/evernotes-new-features-are-for-the-pros/#WdmtgkMeCyCbW5vd.99

Libin is saying that Evernote is going to scrape users' notes! I honestly believed the following language in the Privacy Policy. I'm no longer comfortable with my Evernote Premium account, which I have been previously comfortable using to store certain confidential information.

Does Evernote Review My Notes?

As a rule, Evernote employees do not monitor or view your personal information or Content stored in the Service, but it may be viewed if we believe our Terms of Service have been violated and confirmation is required, if we need to do so in order to respond to your requests for user support, or we otherwise determine that we have an obligation to review it as described in our Terms of Service. Your Notes also may be viewed where necessary to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Evernote and its users, or in order to comply with our legal obligations, such as responding to warrants, court orders or other legal process.

• Level 5*

I am dumbfounded by the following quote from a VentureBeat article today:

Libin said the company will never mine data from your notes and sell it to advertisers. However, he believes that Evernote can analyze that data to benefit consumers and make them smarter. For instance, a recent update to the food app incorporates automatic recipe detection. In your mass of notes, Evernote’s technology can recognize food items and help you make a shopping list. [Emphasis added]

Read more at http://venturebeat.c...gkMeCyCbW5vd.99

Libin is saying that Evernote is going to scrape users' notes! I honestly believed the following language in the Privacy Policy. I'm no longer comfortable with my Evernote Premium account, which I have been previously comfortable using to store certain confidential information.

Does Evernote Review My Notes?

As a rule, Evernote employees do not monitor or view your personal information or Content stored in the Service, but it may be viewed if we believe our Terms of Service have been violated and confirmation is required, if we need to do so in order to respond to your requests for user support, or we otherwise determine that we have an obligation to review it as described in our Terms of Service. Your Notes also may be viewed where necessary to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Evernote and its users, or in order to comply with our legal obligations, such as responding to warrants, court orders or other legal process.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I don't think I have a good grasp of what "scraping" means, but what Evernote does is offer suggestions to you, or show you related notes based on the content in your notes. It can only do that by analyzing the content. Microsoft Word does the same thing when it spell-checks your document for you and offers suggested replacements for misspelled words.

Evernote does not use your content to sell stuff to you, and it does not sell your data to third parties. In other words, the service works for you. They try and help complete your thoughts, and augment your meat brain. It does not work for advertisers or marketers. When it does that, then I think you can start worrying about the terms of service. But, that is just my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't put confidential information on *any* cloud, unless it's encrypted on the servers You never know when those pesky hackers may target & get through to Evernote/Dropbox/etc.

• Level 5*

Uh, there's a difference between an Evernote employee snooping though your notes, and a computer program analyzing your note database usage for patterns that it can use to make your Evernote experience better.

Archived