(Archived) Arrgghhh - Penultimate update problems big time

NightStalker

iPad with latest iOS v6.1 update, on iPad 2 64GB and just updated my Penultimate.

Now - EVERYTHING tries to sync ALL THE TIME. It is so slow as to be unusable. It syncs when I try to open a notebook. It syncs when I do anything. It syncs when I close a notebook. It syncs when I start the app. It syncs when I close the app. AARGGGHHHHH...!!!!!

Also - WHERE ARE THE SETTINGS/PREFERENCES? I can't find any button anywhere that allows me to change any settings - especially whether or not I want to sync everything - I don't!

I can't find the Preferences either on the Home page of Penultimate or within a notebook. It is not listed in the numerous app preferences in the main Settings app for iOS.

Where can I turn off this infernal pestilent syncing? Most of the notes I scribble in Penultimate I do NOT want in Evernote. But the ability to sync specific notes or pages or even an entire notebook would be terrific - but only if I want it synced.

As I said - ARRGGGHHH...!!!! Help.... This is awful! Unusable.

I do NOT want every doodle synced to Evernote. I can't find an option to turn that off. There doesn't even seem to be an option as to WHICH Evernote notebook the doodles go to - they go to my default "Everything" notebook.

EDIT: I just went to look in the trash on the Macbook that syncs the iPad, to see if I could backgrade to the previous version - but the Penultimate.ipa isn't there... Where did it go? And can I get the previous version from somewhere else - tricky for apps that are "keyed" to the iDevice?

EDIT: OK - I found the preferences, cunningly hidden under the Account icon (why the heck is it there?). But there is STILL no way I can turn off the syncing of everything. I just deleted a Penultimate notebook in Evernote as I did NOT want it in there - and it has been deleted from Penultimate...! Helpppppp

• Level 5*

Hi. Evernote has unified the iconography across clients with the account badge, so love it or loathe it, it at least does make sense (within the Evernote universe, anyway). As for the sync, I've set it up with my "test" account, because I don't want it syncing with my main one. That's one solution you could try. I think the best way for you to handle this for now is to turn off wifi while using it.

Morning Grumpy :) Good to see you over here in Penultimateland.

The preferences being hidden under the icon still seems strange, but now I know where it is I can work with it. On the Mac, I usually use the Cmd-, (Command-comma) shortcut Apple standard for preferences.

As for turning off WiFi - (1) that's a PITA to have to do that every time I want to scribble a quick note, and (2) my iPad is 3G as well, so it just keeps trying to sync anyway, even when there is no signal (eg in the operating theatre of the hospital where I work).

Good point to set up a "test" account - but while that at least stops my main EN account being cluttered up with scribbles and doodles, it doesn't solve the problem of Penultimate trying to sync all the time. The little syncing icon spins down the bottom right almost non-stop, starting as soon as I open the app. It continues all the time while I'm using the app, and generally slows everything down. Maybe your sync speed is fast, but mine here, even at home via wifi, is slow. With the main EN program, eg on my Mac or on Windows, the sync seems faster, but I can also set it NOT to sync automatically. Or even have it sync automatically, but only every 15 or 30 minutes, for example. Penultimate, on the other hand, seems to be trying to sync everything all the time. I need to be able to turn it OFF - and I don't really want to have to turn off WiFi and 3G via the Settings app every time I just want to scribble a note....

I think they overlooked that option. Surely that can't be yet another deliberate design decision? Given the strange decisions the v5 upgrades have had for both the Mac and iOS Evernote, nothing would surprise me, though.

• Level 5*

I think Penultimate was my first iPad writing app, so of course I am here :) Unfortunately, they do not yet have a zoom feature, so it doesn't fit my use case, but I am glad to see it coming along so nicely, and I think the Evernote sync will make a lot of users happy.

I don't think we typically get control over syncing in our iOS Evernote apps. I want it, and I have asked for it in the past, but so far, no luck. Ideally, we could set up the intervals, turn it off, etc. as we have on the Android client.

I take your point about the iOS Evernote client not having control over syncing - but at least that is within the one app across platforms. PU is a different app from EN. If I put something into EN, it is understood and intended that it will sync. But if I put something into Penultimate, that is NOT the case - for me, at least.

The problem I have with Penultimate syncing everything is that I use PU for lots of things that are temporary, (for example a quick diagram to explain something to a patient, a quick note to self, etc). I also like to have a little play with PU - just doodling. And last week I used it to write a message to the colleague sitting beside me in a meeting, where I didn't want to say anything out loud. Once he read it, I deleted it. This new version would have ALL of those synced to Evernote. I use Evernote for longer term storage and accumulation of notes, clippings, PDFs, etc etc. I don't want it to have my scribblings that I do in Penultimate.

I like PU - don't get me wrong. But I would really like the option of NOT syncing, or syncing on a note-by-note basis.

I am in the same boat here - downloaded the new version which looks nice, but the automatic sync is killing me. I can't alter the note in the Evernote Windows app because it was created in another application (dialog box warning). I tend to use a single notebook in Penultimate for notes, then transfer related notes in batches to Evernote. A 1-page or 5-page note on a meeting goes into Evernote on its own, then I delete the notes from Penultimate. At this point, I need to find a way to either stop the sync, or go back to the prior version. 1 step forward, 2 steps back on this release.

- Kevin

This is probably the most stupid feature I know of....CANNOT STOP SYNC???

Installed it to check whether I'd like to use it or not, and now I cannot even change the login details to another (dummy) evernote account. Like you guys I don't want this to be sync (or even attempting to sync)....

Also, this is a different app then EN so why should we NOT have this option?

Solution for now is to delete Penultimate...and hopefully the login details are gone! Notability is much better anyway!...

really p***** *** with this!!

I really want to like the Evernote ecosystem and was looking forward to the Penultimate update. I really do.

But I keep run into things like this syncing mess that are just less than thought out.

No syncing controls is just a suck into my data plan. iPads are not always near WiFi. Go into Airplane Mode to use Penultimate? Really?

And then there's the new "noise" in my Evernote database. Each Penultimate is a single note in Evernote. How is THAT useful?

I know it will get better but the road is pretty rough.

I understand auto syncing being a problem where connectivity is limited. Having my Penultimate notebooks mirrored in EN, including stuff I don't need to keep, doesn't seem like a big deal though. It's just backing up to EN instead of Dropbox, with the advantage of being available to search in EN. I can still select specific PU pages and mail them to the pertinent EN notebook, just like always, and delete or leave them in PU as I wish. And for doodles and such, I usually delete them at the end of the boring meeting. Gone from PU and EN automatically. That said, it does seem an option to turn sync on and off should be available.

A bonus is that for those of us with two mobile devices, now our Penultimate notebooks sync. Probably a limited use case, but with the iPad mini it will become more common. I use the mini for field work and as a backup to my full size iPad and love that I have the same notebooks on each.

I guess it's a personal use thing, but I don't back up my Penultimate to Dropbox either. I use PU purely for very short term, temporary notes, scribbles, and doodles.

I use it like I'd use scraps of paper - scribble a note, or scratch a quick diagram to explain something, then delete it.

The limited connectivity IS a problem - a huge one. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff that comes out of the USA simply assumes that everyone has always-on internet at high speed and with no data limits. Bit like Steve Jobs famous presentations. But here in Australia, our internet is notoriously slow, there is very little in the way of free wifi (McDonalds is about it, plus the odd private coffee shop), and as mentioned above, some of us work in places where there is no wifi at all - like a hospital.

Problem is - Penultimate simply keeps on trying to connect and sync. So apart from the problem of not wanting my PU stuff in Evernote in the first place, the actual syncing is just dragging PU into the realm of useless due to it's being sooooooo sllloooooooowwwwww.

Then we have the problem of losing notes - which others have reported (I only lost notes in PU after deleting a notebook from EN that had synced and I didn't want it there - it automatically deleted from PU as well!) There seems to be quite a few who have upgraded to PUv4 and who have now apparently lost all their notes, which may be due to some problem with syncing.

We DESPERATELY need the ability to turn syncing OFF. Before more people lose notes or before people abandon PU for Notability due to the syncing problems....

Anyone from Evernote reading this? Anyone taking any notice? GBarry - you there?

@Mike Wood: hi Mike - yes, like Skitch 2 - and Evernote 5 on the Mac, and Evernote on iOS particularly the iPad.

They really know how to stuff up the "upgrades", don't they?

I have Explain Everything - as well as Notability and a couple of others. I've stopped using Penultimate for now, as I don't seem to have the old .ipa file on the Mac with which I sync. I suspect it got blitzed when I upgraded the iOS to v6.1 - Penultimate upgraded at the same time, and for some reason it didn't save the old .ipa file in the trash. So I can't downgrade :(

Just like Evernote and Skitch (both of which I've downgraded), I'll just have to keep an eye on these forums to see signs of improvement which would let me start using Penultimate again. In particular, the ability to turn syncing OFF, and to sync manually on a note or notebook basis.

Until then, I'm afraid it's one of the others...

Thanks for this discussion. I've used Penultimate for a while and haven't upgraded to the latest and greatest-- and now I won't! Sorry you're having difficulties, but your posts have helped me....

I was moving pages to Evernote when they had valuable content. The rest were just "scribbles". I could treat pages as indivdual entities each with their own tag representing a project and didn't have to mange an entire Notebook as one tagged item.

I think I have to break the connection between the two apps, this constant sync of entire notebooks into one Evernote entry is not usable for someone who oversees multiple employees each doing multiple projects (too many to have a notebook for each).

I need to tag a penultimate page with a project name and cannot anymore since they are all in a single jumbled pile.

where is the account icon?

EDIT: Perhaps I misunderstood that using this "account icon" we could change our accounts or perhaps alter the settings not to sync all notebooks?

If the upper left corner icon that opens "Settings" in Penultimate is the account icon then neither of those options is available to us. How do we control this train wreck?

This smells like an attempt to force us all to Premium accounts because of all of the upload traffic this will cause.

But I WANT it to stop syncing. That's the whole point.

If it stopped syncing, surely you'd simply be left with duplicate sets of notes - one lot on PU and the other lot in EN. And you could then safely delete the ones from EN without having the risk of them disappearing from PU if the syncing was off...

Unless it stopped syncing halfway through a sync or something....

The truth is, they have changed their pricing model. You can no longer use as much Penultimate as you want. You have to buy a Premium account with Evernote for using over 60MB of notes in a month. Oh, and by the way, if you used 25MB of those notes in the past - that counts for this month.

What does happen when I run out of monthly upload allowance? this is the first time I have reached 1/2 way to 60Mb and that is in 2 days!

Yeah, I am a paid subscriber to Evernote, so bandwidth shouldn't have been this much of a problem. I believe it's a pretty nasty sync bug. Seems that after it thinks it synced to Evernote, it syncs back from Evernote...anything that didn't sync correctly to Evernote then gets deleted when syncing back from Evernote. Hopefully it's restore-able. They've initiated a support ticket.

This is my worry as well now. I've paid for Penultimate and now need to worry about going over a limit with EverNote which I don't care to pay for. I didn't ask for them to be linked like this. This is a real shame since I have relied on Penultimate so much. It may be time to move onto another note taking app.

The truth is, they have changed their pricing model. You can no longer use as much Penultimate as you want. You have to buy a Premium account with Evernote for using over 60MB of notes in a month. Oh, and by the way, if you used 25MB of those notes in the past - that counts for this month.

What does happen when I run out of monthly upload allowance? this is the first time I have reached 1/2 way to 60Mb and that is in 2 days!

But I WANT it to stop syncing. That's the whole point.

If it stopped syncing, surely you'd simply be left with duplicate sets of notes - one lot on PU and the other lot in EN. And you could then safely delete the ones from EN without having the risk of them disappearing from PU if the syncing was off...

Unless it stopped syncing halfway through a sync or something....

So, I posed a few of these questions to the core developers. Penultimate syncs when you:

1. Start the app
  2. Close a notebook
  3. After 2 minutes of writing and making changes

Because of certain technical reasons, there just cannot be a "continuous sync" as the inapp icon in the right hand corner suggests. If that's suggesting it's continuous, then yeah, that's something we need to look at, and we need to look at a sync option too. With the initial version, we're pretty aggressive with sync in the app (the 2 minutes/close of notebook) because continuous sync isn't possible.

What I would really like to see is 2 options for syncing per notebook.

1) Notebook syncs with Evernote or stays local in Penultimate.

2) If syncing, notebook syncs all pages as one note in EN, or individually (perhaps with an option for a set tag or EN notebook per penultimate notebook).

There are a lot of things that I want to sync from Pen to EN as individual notes, but don't want to have an individual notebook in PN for each of these. It would get overwhelming very quickly to try and find what I needed.

Really glad we've taken a step towards more native EN syncing. Thanks for your hard work, and hopefully this feedback is useful.

Another regular Penultimate user bitten by the upgrade.

Apparently my notebooks are too large and fail to sync.

I use it for work too and cannot have all of my notebooks sync to evernote.

At least it hasn't crashed and I have been able to back my stuff up.

After spending a couple hours trying to use it and then backup my notebooks I'm going to try and delete it and use it without the Evernote account link. If that doesn't work I will be spending tomorrow trying out alternatives.

The upgrade with Evernote account sync is simply not usable for me as is.

I agree completely with craigmcclellan.

We need those two options as soon as possible. The problem with syncing PU notebooks into Evernote as read-only notes was discussed in the beta testing and nobody except the developers supported the option that was chosen. As far as I remember everyone else who commented wanted PU notebooks to sync to EN as notebooks.

I also think that it is very important to be able to have local (ipad only) notebooks because as NightStalker has pointed out the idea that every little scribble HAS to end up in our Evernote accounts is just plain silly, not to say a deliberately contrived inconvenience.

Cheers

Owen

As far as I remember everyone else who commented wanted PU notebooks to sync to EN as notebooks.

To me, while this seems like a good option for some (and maybe an option that EN could give to users), even this would be overkill. I have a penultimate notebook right now, and I'd love for some PU pages to sync in individually, and some as a group while we control what notebook and tags are placed on them as they go into EN. Auto new notebook would overwhelm me as well.

So, I posed a few of these questions to the core developers. Penultimate syncs when you:
  1. Start the app
  2. Close a notebook

Because of certain technical reasons, there just cannot be a "continuous sync" as the inapp icon in the right hand corner suggests. If that's suggesting it's continuous, then yeah, that's something we need to look at, and we need to look at a sync option too. With the initial version, we're pretty aggressive with sync in the app (the 2 minutes/close of notebook) because continuous sync isn't possible.

Thanks for replying, gbarry - much appreciated. First point is that I think your aggressive syncing IS too aggressive as you suggest. Also, I suspect the virtually continuous syncing I'm seeing (with commensurate slow-down of the app) is due to either the slow connection or no connection - so it takes up to the 2 minute mark of trying to sync, even though it can't, then starts again.

Secondly, we REALLY need the option to turn off sync completely - there are situations for different people when they (including me) really do NOT want to sync between the two apps.

Thirdly, the option to sync selectively, by note, set of notes, or notebook, would be fantastic.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts (which must be a PITA for you guys by now) - I work in an operating theatre in a hospital, with no internet connection at all (neither wifi nor 3G) but I WAS using PU as a scribbling pad for quick jottings, scribblings while on the phone, patient details while answering the pager, etc etc - which is stuff that I do NOT want synced to Evernote. It's either highly confidential or very short term - usually both. Scribble, use, delete. But the constant syncing or attempting to sync makes PU virtually unusable. And even in places where I DO have a connection, there is still the problem of not wanting to sync a lot of the PU stuff. It's a different app used for different purposes. It's not Evernote.

Maybe incorporating a Penultimate MODE into Evernote may be the next step - but not at the expense of a separate Penultimate app - with selective syncing in the separate app of course :)

RachelM brought up the 60MB limit. I have have more than 60MB of notes. It marked one file as to big and it appears the sync fails on the others, but continues to retry. So I have to upgrade Evernote? Wait until next month for the other notebooks to sync? Not sure what Evernote was expecting there.

I can still select specific PU pages and mail them to the pertinent EN notebook, just like always,

CYNREN,

How are you accomplishing this? In the previous PU version it was very easy to send single pages to EV, in the new version I can't figure this out.

RachelM brought up the 60MB limit. I have have more than 60MB of notes. It marked one file as to big and it appears the sync fails on the others, but continues to retry. So I have to upgrade Evernote? Wait until next month for the other notebooks to sync? Not sure what Evernote was expecting there.

You should get a new month of premium for free if you're a legacy user of penultimate. If that's the case you'll have 1GB of space to help import your old notes, which should support most transfers. Extremely large files are going to take some time to port over though.

1. Start the app
  2. Close a notebook

Thanks for replying, gbarry - much appreciated. First point is that I think your aggressive syncing IS too aggressive as you suggest. Also, I suspect the virtually continuous syncing I'm seeing (with commensurate slow-down of the app) is due to either the slow connection or no connection - so it takes up to the 2 minute mark of trying to sync, even though it can't, then starts again.

Secondly, we REALLY need the option to turn off sync completely - there are situations for different people when they (including me) really do NOT want to sync between the two apps.

Thirdly, the option to sync selectively, by note, set of notes, or notebook, would be fantastic.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts (which must be a PITA for you guys by now) - I work in an operating theatre in a hospital, with no internet connection at all (neither wifi nor 3G) but I WAS using PU as a scribbling pad for quick jottings, scribblings while on the phone, patient details while answering the pager, etc etc - which is stuff that I do NOT want synced to Evernote. It's either highly confidential or very short term - usually both. Scribble, use, delete. But the constant syncing or attempting to sync makes PU virtually unusable. And even in places where I DO have a connection, there is still the problem of not wanting to sync a lot of the PU stuff. It's a different app used for different purposes. It's not Evernote.

Maybe incorporating a Penultimate MODE into Evernote may be the next step - but not at the expense of a separate Penultimate app - with selective syncing in the separate app of course :)

Lots to unpack here as usual good sir (no sarcasm intended), and I appreciate the feedback, and will flag for the development team. Keep in mind that this is our first iteration and we have lots of work ahead of us on optimization, with plenty more in the pipeline. Definitely understand your usecases, and see the reasoning behind them.

I can still select specific PU pages and mail them to the pertinent EN notebook, just like always,

CYNREN,

How are you accomplishing this? In the previous PU version it was very easy to send single pages to EV, in the new version I can't figure this out.

JP09 -

In the multi page view in PU, get into edit mode and select the pages you want. Hit the export icon and mail them to EN. They will be packaged into one PDF and appear as a new note in EN, with the subject line of the email as the note title.

Lots to unpack here as usual good sir (no sarcasm intended), and I appreciate the feedback, and will flag for the development team. Keep in mind that this is our first iteration and we have lots of work ahead of us on optimization, with plenty more in the pipeline. Definitely understand your usecases, and see the reasoning behind them.

Thank you :)

Interestingly, and purely by coincidence, I was doing one of my other duties today - teaching medical students - and several of the students were using iPads to take notes, two in particular right at the front of the class, one using his finger, the other using a stylus (Kensington). I talked to them to find out what they were using, and they were both using Notability. I asked them if they'd tried Penultimate, and BOTH of them said the same thing - they had been PU users for ages, but this new version screwed it up for them due to the syncing. They are both Premium Evernote users, and store their lecture notes etc in EN as PDFs. However, they had no internet connection in the tutorial room (both iPads were WiFi only) and they'd found Penultimate to be in continuous sync mode, like I have. They both decided it had become unusable for their use pattern, and they also did NOT want to sync EVERYTHING to Evernote.

In fact, they could have been having the exact same conversation with me as I have been having with you and the team here on the forum.

They had asked around other students, and they both switched to Notability. I then glanced over a few more shoulders, and found the following note-taking apps being used:

Notability (several), Noteshelf, Note Anytime, Bamboo, Explain Everything, Notify, Notes Plus, and one using Penultimate who was NOT an Evernote user so was using PU in standalone mode. In fact, I think it was the earlier version of PU.

Interesting, and coincidentally relevant to the current discussion. Just thought you may find it interesting. After a brief comparison of the features of the various apps, we returned to studying the path of the chorda tympani nerve and its function! ;)

Thank you, Cynwren. Please correct me if I am wrong... To take advantage of the EV search function in my PU hand written notes, I need to send them to EV as an image and not a PDF.

Another poster sent me...

In the individual PU page i want to send, hit the "Forward button" the icon to the left of search

Open Page in...

Open in Evernote

This works, however just a described it then opens EV on my iPad and I have to close the note and go back to PU. In the previous PU version it was so clean. After writing a PU note I could simply send the page to EV and move on to the next PU page without having to deal with the note. Then at the end of the day I would go to my PC, open the Collection Notebook in EV and Tag the note appropriately.

I'm not certain how difficult it would be, but a single button on the PU tool bar that send individual notes to EV seams logical and useful for a number of people. - Thank you again for your help.

You should get a new month of premium for free if you're a legacy user of penultimate. If that's the case you'll have 1GB of space to help import your old notes, which should support most transfers. Extremely large files are going to take some time to port over though.

I've been a penultimate and Evernote user for some time, but i'm only set at 60mb.

Speaking from the experience of having tried to post the Evernote .IPA file, the link won't actually work for anyone else - that file is embedded with your iTunes account details that links you to your account and to your iDevice(s). 

Good intentions, for sure, but unfortunately won't work for anyone but you :)

And for it to work for you, you need to DELETE the app from your iPad, AND delete it from the Apps tab in iTunes as well.  Then re-sync.

THEN - drag the .IPA file to iTunes onto the Apps tab (with the iPad plugged in - otherwise the Apps tab won't show) and then find Penultimate in the apps list on that page and make sure it is set to "Install".

Then re-sync one last time - should all be back!

Hope that helps

Speaking from the experience of having tried to post the Evernote .IPA file, the link won't actually work for anyone else - that file is embedded with your iTunes account details that links you to your account and to your iDevice(s). 

Good intentions, for sure, but unfortunately won't work for anyone but you :)

And for it to work for you, you need to DELETE the app from your iPad, AND delete it from the Apps tab in iTunes as well.  Then re-sync.

THEN - drag the .IPA file to iTunes onto the Apps tab (with the iPad plugged in - otherwise the Apps tab won't show) and then find Penultimate in the apps list on that page and make sure it is set to "Install".

Then re-sync one last time - should all be back!

Hope that helps

Thanks - I was trying to use the iPhone Configuration utility at work but will give this a go tonight at home (where it normally plugs in.

Thanks!

I presume it would work, although I haven't tried it.  But then that leaves the problem that you can't sync ANY of the PU notes or notebooks - even the ones that you DO want to sync.

No, what we need is the ability to switch off automatic syncing of everything, and the ability to stay connected to the Evernote account then just sync a single note, a few notes, or a complete notebook, as and when required.

It shouldn't need to be all or nothing, as it seems to be now.

Not sure anyone from Evernote is reading these, but wanted to make one more case based on actual usage of the Penultimate product. To relate to the physical world, Penultimate is a pad of paper and Evernote is a filing cabinet. In version 3.x, I could take a single page note or multiple page note in a meeting and send it to Evernote, where I could then put it in the proper notebook (meetings, notes, etc.). Often times I would take a weeks worth of notes in Penultimate, then at the end of the week, send various scraps of note pages from Penultimate to different notebooks.

The problem with syncing a whole notebook into Evernote is in a way, I am syncing a notebook into a notebook. Evernote shouldn't be a place I store a full notebook (a synced notebook from Penultimate 4.x) in a single note, it should be a place where I can place various notes from a notebook.

The old send to where I could select the pages that go in a single note for Evernote fits this workflow. Can you at least change Penultimate to remove the mandatory sync and then allow for the send to Evernote? In the Open In Evernote option in Penultimate v4.0 - it actually opens Evernote. The version 3.x way of silently in the background sending a note to Evernote was great.

Please help!

Yup - indeed... I'm still waiting for Penultimate to do that.  Gbarry has suggested that v4 that has been released, being the first iteration of v4, may well be tweaked to change a few things, without him being specific.  But I don't know how long it takes to "tweak" an app to do what the previous version already did?  I'm still waiting for an update, and for feedback on here that the update fixes ALL the sync problems.

- Optional "Sync everything automatically" for those who want that

- Selective "Sync page(s)"

- Selective "Sync Penultimate notebook"

And of course those last two should give us the option as to WHERE in Evernote the sync goes to.  i.e. the ability to choose the target notebook in Evernote, or create a new one.

That would be pretty close to perfect...

Until then, I'm continuing to use Notability...

Thanks for the tips - I went back and tried Notability and Noteshelf - Noteshelf has the old functionality of Penultimate and the ability to select certain pages to send directly to Evernote. Would still prefer a Penultimate fix though....

• 2 weeks later...

All Evernote users have been requested to change their passwords. Once you do, is there the option to not to update the pass in Penultimate and get this issue resolved? Will try it tonight!!

I am trying to just open my penultimate icon on my ipad3 when a pop up reset your password prompt comes up and will not let me reset it. Any ideas? As with everyone else, this is where all my files are.

• 3 months later...

I'm ready to abandon Penultimate! Really, I have been using it since it was put in the App store, but since a few months it sucks! I read it is due to the continuous sync. But, nothing is done to overcome this! And in the mean time, the app crashes, takes ages to be reactive to my writing, takes ages to switch from one to another notebook and be "ready" to be used, ...........

Tell me if anything is planned to overcome these problems! Else, I'll check out for a replacement product and stop my premium subscription to EN.

I LOVED this app when it was plain old Penultimate. Used it always. Then Evernote appeared and bought it...and my nightmare began. Read the rest bottom up to hopefully help others who enjoyed PU but aren't needing or finding useful Evernote.

=_=_=_=

Hello stukey,

I sincerely do apologize, I cannot reset your account. I have spoke directly with our developer regarding this issue to confirm.

Summer

Evernote Support

stukey - Jun 22

How is that possible? The app is the same version on both devices, on the iPad 2 and iPad 3. Are you telling me you locked my use of Penultimate to my device? That is too intrusive! All I'm asking is convert me back. Believe me, it's not about the $0.99 cost of Penultimate. It is about the non-user friendly take over by Evernote that has destroyed my use of a great product. How can you NOT reset my account if you tell me that it works on my wife's iPad 2 because she is 'grandfathered.' Just reset me to 'grandfathered status and the story ends with a satisfied customer.

Thank you.

--

M.A.Stough

Sent from my New iPad (better known as the iPad 3)

Summer - Jun 19

I really do understand your frustration and I am sorry there is not a resolution.

You cannot get back what you had.

By deleting and reinstalling after upgrading, you lost the ability to use penultimate without evernote for more than one notebook.

Once logged into Penultimate, you can turn off syncing to Evernote.

If you could please provide me with a paypal address I will be happy to refund your $1.00 that you paid for the application.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience of this. Our Penultimate developer is aware of your concerns and feedback.

Thanks, Summer!!!

stukey - Jun 15

Summer,

Thank you for the reply; but, I'm still not able to get back to where Penultimate was on my iPad 3 like on the iPad 2. I DO NOT want to log into Evernote to use Penultimate...just like on the iPad 2. How do I do this? I didn't buy two copies of Penultimate, one for the iPad 2 farther back in history than one for the iPad 3. I want my iPad 3 to be "grandfathered in." Why is this so difficult? Everything was fine with Penultimate before Evernote. PLEASE, help me get it back. I can do nothing, I MEAN NOTHING, on the iPad 3 because when I launch it, all I see is a sign-in page to Evernote. I can't use it without signing-in, and I don't want to sign-in AT ALL.

Please tell me how to get back to my iPad 2 functionality on my iPad 3? Reinstall, what?

Thank you.

Matt

Summer - Jun 13

I apologize for the confusion.

On your iPad 3, when you installed Penultimate this installed the new version. With this new version you do not have to log into an evernote account unless you would like more than one notebook. At this point you will need to log into an evernote account to gain more notebooks. Your iPad 2 has been grandfathered in, when you upgraded to the current version, the program sees that you are already a Penultimate user. With your iPad 3, the program is seeing you as a new user and the new features kicked in. You can use your Penultimate account without syncing to evernote. You can sign in in offline mode. I do hope this helps, if not please let me know.

Thanks, Summer!!!

stukey - Jun 05

No, this does nothing to help my issue! On two devices (iPad 2 and iPad 3), the same version of Penultimate (4.1.1) works differently. On the iPad 3, I must log into Evernote or I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH PENULTIMATE! All I see is a log in screen. On the iPad 2, I can see all my notebooks, make new notebooks, etc. and I NEVER NEED to log into Evernote. It behaves as the Penultimate product I bought from the Apple iTunes App Store. Deleting Penultimate on the iPad 3 and reinstalling does nothing to get me back to the functionality I have on the iPad 2.

I DON'T WANT TO USE EVERNOTE IN ANY WAY TO USE PENULTIMATE. I want what I have on my iPad 2 on my iPad 3. This s what I'm waiting for a response from Support.

Please, PLEASE, help me with the product you now own and control. Before Evernote's acquisition, I was happy with Penultimate (as I am on the iPad 2 but that is my wife's device). Now on y iPad 3, I feel crippled!!!

Thank you

--

M.A.Stough

Summer - Jun 05

Reinstalling won't "sync" from Dropbox.

Although if documents are in Dropbox, you can certainly browse to the folder and import from there.

Please let me know if this helps!

Thanks, Summer!!!

Summer - May 31

Thank you for your continued patience! I have forwarded your information to our engineers, as soon as I have more information I will let you know. Thanks!!!!

stukey - May 30

Hello, I'm checking up on the status of my support to ticket. How do I get the pre-Evernote functionality back so Penultimate functions like it does on my iPad 2? Thank you.

--

M.A.Stough

stukey - May 26

Great. I'm very anxious to get back my Penultimate. I can get my notebooks from Dropbox if I need to reinstall it (based on your fix you'll advise).

Thank you.

Matt Stough

Fernando Casanova - May 24

We want to let you know that we are looking into this issue, we will contact you back as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding.

Fernando Casanova - May 23

Could you please follow the steps below and send us a log for further review?

Please go to my notebooks view>select your username>about>activity log. This will bring up your log.

At the top right, click email:

To: us-support@evernote.com

Subject: Ticket# 42251

Note: You MUST enter this subject line exactly or we will NOT receive your message.

stukey - May 23

somewhere in the past, I must have linked Penultimate to Evernote. I found that Evernote is not for me. Now, I can't use Penultimate as I used to because it makes me log in to Evernote to see my notebooks. I reinstalled a copy from iTunes and now I don't see my notebooks (stored on Dropbox from first setting up Penultimate). Plus, I can't make any new notebooks without signing into Evernote. I PAID FOR PENULTIMATE AND WANT TO USE PENULTIMATE!! What is happening???

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/evernote

Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/evernote

Check out our Blog: http://blog.evernote.com

Account Settings: https://www.evernote.com/User.action

Discussion Boards: http://discussion.evernote.com/

Evernote Corporation, 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA, 94063, USA

Archived