Evernote Usage on Ipad in Offline Mode

Apologies if this is a simplistic question as I have just started to use Evernote in the last hour.

Is it possible to use Evernote on the iPad in offline mode (no internet connection)?

I can sign-in and use Evernote on my Macbook when offline, but when I try to use Evernote on the iPad (offline) I get "Error. The Internet connection appears to be offline".

Is this a Premium Account requirement?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Level 5*

On mobile devices, you can use Evernote offline, yes. If you are a premium subscriber, then you can designate notebooks as "offline", and they will be sync'ed to your device so that they are available when you are offline. For free users, your note cache may contain notes that you can access when offline, but there's no guarantee that they will be there.

Jefito,

Thanks very much for your response.

With regards to your comment "On mobile devices, you can use Evernote offline, yes." I presume this is a feature of having a Premium account (which is fine)?

At the moment I cannot use Evernote on my iPad unless there is internet connection....it will not even let me sign in. Another example to hopefully example the use case is if I set my iPhone to Airplane Mode (ie no connectivity) then again Evernote will not let me sign in. Just want to check that if I buy the premium account that I can use Evernote on the iPad without needing internet connectivity to open the application.

• Level 5*
With regards to your comment "On mobile devices, you can use Evernote offline, yes." I presume this is a feature of having a Premium account (which is fine)?

Correct.

At the moment I cannot use Evernote on my iPad unless there is internet connection....it will not even let me sign in. Another example to hopefully example the use case is if I set my iPhone to Airplane Mode (ie no connectivity) then again Evernote will not let me sign in. Just want to check that if I buy the premium account that I can use Evernote on the iPad without needing internet connectivity to open the application.

Gonna let actual iOS users chime in on this one. In theory it should work, but I don't know the details, as I am an Android users (where it works fine).

I think you need to have an internet connection to sign in. Then don't sign out. (This is different from the PIN code.) The reason you have to sign in with an internet connection is so it can download the note header information.

Since you only started using EN within the "last hour", I would suggest you peruse some of existing threads. A lot of helpful information already exists.

Thanks again.

It would be great to hear from any iPad users. I have a simple need.....if I go to a gathering can I use Evernote on the iPad to make notes if I do not have an internet connection?

I'll try the don't sign out approach...thanks.

• Level 5*

Thanks again.

It would be great to hear from any iPad users. I have a simple need.....if I go to a gathering can I use Evernote on the iPad to make notes if I do not have an internet connection?

I'll try the don't sign out approach...thanks.

Yes. I regularly do (planes, meetings, conferenced, etc. all offline). I've worked offline for weeks at a time. It is no big deal. It's nice, of course, to have your notes downloaded offline (premium feature), but to use Evernote, this is not necessary. Is there a reason you are logging out of your account?

That's good to know. I am basically looking for a tool to take notes when I am in meetings (get away from the pen and paper)!!

I am going to our annual kick-off conference shortly so thought I would use Evernote. I expect there will be wifi in the conference centre but just in case there isn't wanted to check if I could use Evernote on the iPad for a whole day without internet. Looks like I can so long as I don't sign out of Evernote.

Then when I do get connectivity I can sync :-)

• Level 5*

That's good to know. I am basically looking for a tool to take notes when I am in meetings (get away from the pen and paper)!!

I am going to our annual kick-off conference shortly so thought I would use Evernote. I expect there will be wifi in the conference centre but just in case there isn't wanted to check if I could use Evernote on the iPad for a whole day without internet. Looks like I can so long as I don't sign out of Evernote.

Then when I do get connectivity I can sync :-)

Yep. That's how it works. HOWEVER, I strongly recommend (with any app) that you test this out thoroughly on your own before you throw yourself into the real situation. It pays to be prepared and understand the ins and outs, especially when using the iPad.

• 1 year later...

I know that this is an old post, but I've just got back from a period without wifi and unusually I needed an existing Evernote.

To my surprise, as I thought it was only a premium feature, I found that two or three were available. As I so rarely use it off-line [indeed I don't need Evernote all that often] I don't want to upgrade. 

So, my question is are a limited number of files available off-line, or is there a time since last use before they 'expire'? I can'y find anything about off-line use other than upgrading.

Cheers, Colin

I know that this is an old post, but I've just got back from a period without wifi and unusually I needed an existing Evernote.

To my surprise, as I thought it was only a premium feature, I found that two or three were available. As I so rarely use it off-line [indeed I don't need Evernote all that often] I don't want to upgrade. 

So, my question is are a limited number of files available off-line, or is there a time since last use before they 'expire'? I can'y find anything about off-line use other than upgrading.

Cheers, Colin

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39907-used-to-have-offline-access-to-notes-without-premium/

Thanks, I guess this is the bit you are referring to?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

I get the impression through experimentation that if one syncs Evernote while on-line and then accesses one by one the individual folders and files, they will subsequently be available off-line on your Android tablet. Similarly if you copy a .pdf file directly into Evernote on your computer, and they are not .pdf.lnk files, syncing Evernote and then viewing the pdf will allow you to subsequently read the pdfs off-line. If you don't access them while on-line first, you will not be able to read them off-line. Still experimenting........

Cheers, Colin

Thanks, I guess this is the bit you are referring to?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

I get the impression through experimentation that if one syncs Evernote while on-line and then accesses one by one the individual folders and files, they will subsequently be available off-line on your Android tablet. Similarly if you copy a .pdf file directly into Evernote on your computer, and they are not .pdf.lnk files, syncing Evernote and then viewing the pdf will allow you to subsequently read the pdfs off-line. If you don't access them while on-line first, you will not be able to read them off-line. Still experimenting........

Cheers, Colin

I think the entire thread is helpful. But post #2 is targeted more to your initial post.

Archived