(Archived) BUG: Can't name saved searches

soundsgoodtome

Idea

After learning that the only way to view all audio notes is to enter the search string resource:audio/*, I thought I'd save that search for quick access.

I finally found the Save Search command in the Edit menu. (Note: It would be nice to have a "Save Search" button within the menu that drops down after performing a search.) After selecting "Save Search," a sheet rolls down for naming the search -- but the text field won't accept any text input. So, the search cannot be named. One can only hit enter and accept the default name: "New Saved Search."

I've tested this on two Macs, each running OS 10.8.2 and Evernote 5.0.5.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I don't have any problem naming a saved search.

1. Enter search criteria

2. Run search

3. Edit/Find/Save Search

4. Enter Search name

5. OK

If you can't do that you should open a support ticket.

By the way, how many ways do you think there should be to find all audio notes?

• Level 5*
Note: It would be nice to have a "Save Search" button within the menu that drops down after performing a search

We definitely need a easy, obvious way of creating a Saved Search. What seems obvious to me is to have a small disk icon/button to the immediate right of the Search box. This button would be enabled after executing a Search.

1. Enter search criteria

2. Run search

3. Edit/Find/Save Search

4. Enter Search name

5. OK

It appears you've edited the above reply, because the email notification I received contained sarcasm regarding info that I "could easily have found [myself] with google" that is not displayed, here on the web.

Since you chose to remove that paragraph, I wouldn't have mentioned it -- except you then replaced that gem with another, sarcastic question "How many ways do you think there should be to find all audio notes?"

So, it's clear you have a problem. While your information is helpful, your attitude is not.

1. I tend to google most things. For whatever reason, in the heat of the moment on that particular day, I thought of the forum and posted my inquiry here. And I thanked you for your reply. So, I fail to see how my choosing to post in the forum, that day, is even remotely relevant to the issue that I posted here, today. If you feel that forums are so useless, why do you bother posting in them, yourself? Why respond to people's questions, only to then insult them for posting a question in the first place? That's neither a rational, nor a friendly, approach.

2. How many ways do I think there should be to find all audio notes? One. But a more intuitive one than having to enter a search string. That's precisely why user interfaces exist. For example, in order to find notes that contain certain tags, do you think we should have to type out a search string? I suspect you'd agree that the current method -- being able to type a tag name or click on it -- is a superior method. Similarly, since audio notes are one of Evernote's basic features, it's not unreasonable to expect a simpler way to view one's audio notes.

Of particular note is your deliberately snarky wording, "How many ways...?" You were fully aware that I wasn't calling for multiple methods; just a better one. And not one word of either of my posts belittled you. As such, your question was both unnecessary and, frankly, juvenile.

If you want to be helpful, be helpful. But if your "help" must also be infused with condescension and sarcasm, I'd prefer you not reply at all.

Note: It would be nice to have a "Save Search" button within the menu that drops down after performing a search

We definitely need a easy, obvious way of creating a Saved Search. What seems obvious to me is to have a small disk icon/button to the immediate right of the Search box. This button would be enabled after executing a Search.

That would be nice. Thanks for the mature reply.

Another user claims he does not have a problem naming saved searches. Is that your experience, as well? I'm not sure what -- on two, separate Macs -- could be interfering with my ability to type in that particular text field. But I'm continuing to investigate.

Thanks again.

• Level 5*

Re "one way to search for audio files": Does the Mac client not have the handy search filter UI similar to the ones available on the Web, Android and Windows clients that searches for audio?

Windows: On the Attributes panel on the left, click to Contains / Audio to make the filter

Android : click the search button / Advanced Searc / Other / Contains:Audio

Web: Click in the search control, on the ensuing dropdown, click Add Filters... and on that menu, under Contains, click the Audio checkbox.

Several clicks, maybe, but a lot easier than remembering the magick resource spell required.

1. Enter search criteria

2. Run search

3. Edit/Find/Save Search

4. Enter Search name

5. OK

I have now absolutely confirmed the existence of this bug on 3 Macs. It occurs 100% of the time, however, the "recipe" for reproducing the behavior is specific and key:

1. Enter and run search.

(Now, as a so-called "power user," I never click on menus to select commands; I memorize their keyboard shortcuts. Or, when needing a command I haven't used before (or rarely use), I use the standard, Apple shortcut ⇧⌘?, which brings up a field in which you can search for commands by name. Since I didn't know where the Saved Search command resides, that's what I did...)

2. Type ⇧⌘? to bring up menu search.

3. Type "save" (without quotation marks).

4. Using arrow keys, navigate to Find > Save Search, then select it.

5. In the resulting sheet, where you see the default name "New Saved Search," the name is highlighted, awaiting renaming, but it is not possible to type any text.

(Conversely, however, if you click on the File menu and navigate to "Save Search" that way, it is then possible to type into the text field and replace the default name.)

I use the shortcut ⇧⌘? frequently, and I've never seen this behavior in any other app. Regardless, it never would have occurred to me that the method of selecting a menu command would produce differing behavior. Having never encountered this bug until now, I'm still inclined to think it's a bug within Evernote. If it were a bug in the Mac OS, I'd have expected to have encountered it previously in other apps. I leave that determination to the programmers and developers. But observing identical behavior on 3 Macs is, I believe, compelling. :-)

Thanks.

• Level 5*

1. Enter search criteria

2. Run search

3. Edit/Find/Save Search

4. Enter Search name

5. OK

I have now absolutely confirmed the existence of this bug on 3 Macs. It occurs 100% of the time, however, the "recipe" for reproducing the behavior is specific and key:

1. Enter and run search.

(Now, as a so-called "power user," I never click on menus to select commands; I memorize their keyboard shortcuts. Or, when needing a command I haven't used before (or rarely use), I use the standard, Apple shortcut ⇧⌘?, which brings up a field in which you can search for commands by name. Since I didn't know where the Saved Search command resides, that's what I did...)

2. Type ⇧⌘? to bring up menu search.

3. Type "save" (without quotation marks).

4. Using arrow keys, navigate to Find > Save Search, then select it.

5. In the resulting sheet, where you see the default name "New Saved Search," the name is highlighted, awaiting renaming, but it is not possible to type any text.

(Conversely, however, if you click on the File menu and navigate to "Save Search" that way, it is then possible to type into the text field and replace the default name.)

I use the shortcut ⇧⌘? frequently, and I've never seen this behavior in any other app. Regardless, it never would have occurred to me that the method of selecting a menu command would produce differing behavior. Having never encountered this bug until now, I'm still inclined to think it's a bug within Evernote. If it were a bug in the Mac OS, I'd have expected to have encountered it previously in other apps. I leave that determination to the programmers and developers. But observing identical behavior on 3 Macs is, I believe, compelling. :-)

Thanks.

Thanks for the detailed report. I'll flag it so the developers see it. I'm sure your work will be a lot of help in getting it fixed!

• Level 5*

1. Enter search criteria

2. Run search

3. Edit/Find/Save Search

4. Enter Search name

5. OK

It appears you've edited the above reply, because the email notification I received contained sarcasm regarding info that I "could easily have found [myself] with google" that is not displayed, here on the web.

Since you chose to remove that paragraph, I wouldn't have mentioned it -- except you then replaced that gem with another, sarcastic question "How many ways do you think there should be to find all audio notes?"

So, it's clear you have a problem. While your information is helpful, your attitude is not.

1. I tend to google most things. For whatever reason, in the heat of the moment on that particular day, I thought of the forum and posted my inquiry here. And I thanked you for your reply. So, I fail to see how my choosing to post in the forum, that day, is even remotely relevant to the issue that I posted here, today. If you feel that forums are so useless, why do you bother posting in them, yourself? Why respond to people's questions, only to then insult them for posting a question in the first place? That's neither a rational, nor a friendly, approach.

2. How many ways do I think there should be to find all audio notes? One. But a more intuitive one than having to enter a search string. That's precisely why user interfaces exist. For example, in order to find notes that contain certain tags, do you think we should have to type out a search string? I suspect you'd agree that the current method -- being able to type a tag name or click on it -- is a superior method. Similarly, since audio notes are one of Evernote's basic features, it's not unreasonable to expect a simpler way to view one's audio notes.

Of particular note is your deliberately snarky wording, "How many ways...?" You were fully aware that I wasn't calling for multiple methods; just a better one. And not one word of either of my posts belittled you. As such, your question was both unnecessary and, frankly, juvenile.

If you want to be helpful, be helpful. But if your "help" must also be infused with condescension and sarcasm, I'd prefer you not reply at all.

My initial response was sarcastic because I misread your post, when mine published I saw my error and edited what I'd written.

My second question wasn't sarcastic, it was an honest question.

Don't be so touchy, I spend the time trying to help you, I don't have to, I'm not paid to but I'm willing to. Well I was.

Archived