(Archived) Evernote / Doxie One OCR

Tom Doran

I recently purchased a Doxie One scanner as a (hopefully) better alternative to taking photos of documents with my iPhone 5 and then syncing to EN. If I take a picture (from within the EN mobile app on my phone), then sync, the EN OCR works wonderfully and my ability to search the new document within EN is perfect. The same document, scanned with Doxie and then sent to EN, is largely unsearchable. Are there settings on the Doxie side that would improve this? Thank you in advance.

Hi Tom,

Are you syncing before searching? Possibly a few times?

ie, don't scan then search it takes a little while for it to be searchable.

When you take a photo with your iPhone it syncs to the cloud, then you sync to your computer. So you have the two syncs and a bit of time for the document to be searchable.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris

• 3 months later...

Hi Tom,

I wanted to add some clarification to the answer from C6REW so other EN newbies will understand the "why" behind the answer.

It sounds from the description of your problem that the files you upload to EN from you iphone are jpg files of which EN will perform OCR on for free and thus the file contents are searchable as you have experienced.  The resulting files from your Doxie scanner that you upload to EN I suspect are plain pdf files which EN will not perform OCR on if you have only a free EN account.  EN premium users enjoy OCR on uploaded pdf files which allows the pdf contents to be searchable.  Alternatively you could perform OCR on your Doxie pdf scans before uploading to EN, allowing the pdf's to be searchable in a free EN account.

I hope this makes sense to other beginning EN users.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm from the 'tried Evernote on and off but didn't get it till recently' camp and am hooked. My first post regards this thread.

If I export a OCR'd pdf from Doxie I can select and copy and paste the text, etc. If however I have Doxie send pdfs direct to Evernote it seems to use the Evernote OCR and I can no longer select text though it's obviously still searchable. Am I missing something?

@zemblance,

Welcome to the board and the nirvana of EN and Doxie.  I've been an EN user for a couple years but only a few months with Doxie.  The doxie has been a great addition.  Whole family uses it.  Great for papers that get sent home from school, but must be returned.  We as parents would like to keep a copy sometimes.  The Doxie allows for just that.

Archived