(Archived) Feature Request: Semantic metadata in text notes

Although Evernote currently offers rich formatting options for text notes, there is no way to mark text regions as headings, subheadings, content, quotes, etc. I understand that most users probably format text by selecting text areas and fiddling with every little detail to demarcate content, but this is akin to banging rocks in a cave. It requires the user to:

1. Come up with their own formatting convention (font size, style, colour, and other stylistic attributes) and memorize this
  2. Go through 3 or 4 steps just to format one line of text as a heading - click "font family", select, click "size", select, etc.
  3. Repeat step 2 for every stylized element in the document when editing a note originally composed on a smartphone, since there is no way to select font family, size, and the like on smartphones

Given how onerous this is, some users don't bother with rich formatting at all and just use Markdown for all their notes. Of course, Evernote can't parse Markdown, so reading notes harkens back to reading on a monochrome 1974 teletype. I'm sure hipsters love this.

LaTeX within Evernote would be nice. But you know what would be 100x better? Implementing text markup. If I could select a text region and mark it as a "heading", with all style info associated with the "heading" section applied automatically, I'd be one happy penguin. Make it a premium feature if you wish. I'll gladly pay for that.

• Level 5*

This has been requested before, not unreasonably. I think that the reasons for this sort of facility are pretty well understood. I'm guessing that if they ever deliver it, it would be to everyone; doesn't seem like the type of thing that Evernote would make as a premium feature. I can't speak for hipsters on any level, so that reference eludes me.

Archived