Note Editor just doesn't cut it

eekboom

I try to use Evernote to take notes when reading/studying books or tutorials or to remind me how I solved a certain programming problem.

So I am working a lot directly in the note editor.

I have to say it is one of the weakest editors I ever tried.

It's like it cannot really decide if its a word processor or a plain text editor and fails at both.

How about an option that displays a ruler below the toolbar?

Keyboard shortcuts for toolbar button functions are neither displayed in a tooltip nor are there corresponding menu items where I could see these shortcuts.

If the goal is to be a word processor it should support custom tabs (set in the ruler). TAB on the first column should indent (rather than inserting a tab character).

If it's a text editor it should handle tab characters better. (Pos1 key should alternate between going to the first column and the first non-white-space character. Enter should insert the same amount of tabs on the next line to start at the same indentation.)

There are many, many more issues. Frequently I just stop using Evernote after a while because it gets too painful to work in the editor.

It's really too bad, because the idea to have everything synchronized and searchable is very, very nice.

Maybe I just have too high expectation from using either UltraEdit or IntelliJ IDEA for plain text editing alot (with such advanced features like column based selection, optional word wrapping that respects leading tab indentation, customizable shortcuts, ...)

I agree the editor, and in particular bullet/numbered outlines are absolutely rubbish. I have been working on creating an outline departmental business plan this morning using outlining in the Evernote editor and it has been a huge source of frustration.

I have got a numbered bullet in the middle of my list topics and I can't find a way to remove it without having to re-arrange dozens of subordinate bullet points - ahrrrr!

I love Evernote and use it extensively for thousands of notes but I am starting to question their commitment to customers, I am happy to pay my premium membership to support the great work that has been done but they appear completely unconcerned about the basics.

I also think Evernote is starting to become a rather arrogant organisation, the moment anyone offers the slightest comment on deficiencies you get the usual "if you don't like you know what you can do" line.

They have got the basis of a great product but for me the outlining, editor, and their inability to make the thing work on Surface RT are starting to get me down.

On the topic of the editor, the editor used on this forum would be better than what is in Evernote, I have just been playing around and the bullets work better at least. Why can't they buy an editor to put in the product if they can't write one?

It would be great if the product has the opportunity to enable a better editor or install alternative editors like you can do in Wordpress.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Evernote is an organizational tool for information, it has never tried to be an in depth word editor.

As one of the more experienced people on here pointed out recently, Word is good for all those type of things and look how big it is!

The principal is for you to store information which includes 'Word' documents if you want.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris

1. Evernote does not strive to be a word processor, spreadsheet, etc. If you need the functionality of one, you should use a true word processor.

2. This message board, like most (all?) others is a software app not made by EN. So any comparison is like comparing apples to oranges.

My understanding is that Evernote's goal is neither to be a word processor or a text editor. It's goal is to be a place to store and rapidly retrieve information. The ability to use it for either of those functions, in a rudimentary way, is kind of a bonus. Personally, I rarely use Evernote for creating notes. On my iOS devices, I use the absolutely brilliant Drafts which allows me to send things to Evernote (and a bunch of other places) very easily. On my computer, I tend to use whatever text editor is handy or Pages if I need a little more horsepower.

I 100% agree that Evernote should not even try to be MS Word, but it should offer basic (and working) note taking functions. All I am asking for is a numbered bullets function that works, which the current does not, and the ability to line space bullets so the notes are readable - simple!

• 2 weeks later...

What about the fabled version 5.. The Mac users have it now..

I'm with you.. EN somehow drops between the gap and the editor is neither a simple text editor or a full on word like editor.. We are not looking for the moon on a stick, but the v4 windows client isn't the best.

It makes me slip back to OneNote from time to time.. But the Evernote eco-system is just so much better!

• 2 months later...

I mainly use the windows client and have to agree with the problems with the note editor. I am very happy for it to be a simple editor, but it should not have bugs. Try cutting and pasting any sort of numbered or bullet list (especially if it has multiple levels) and the results are unpredictable. Bullets vanish, odd spaces between lines appear and formatting may get messed up. It is even worse on the Android client where the whole note can get modified if you delete a single bullet point. I use Evernote every day and in other ways it is a great system, but these basic features should be sorted out. 

One way to avoid it would be to use it like a plain text editor, but then you run into the problem that the keyboard shortcuts are very limited and some cases poorly thought out. As a result you are a lot less efficient than a normal plain text editor.

If you are new to Evernote I would suggest evaluating the competitors who may have done a better job of implementing the note editor. People have been complaining about Evernote note editor problems for some years and there has been limited progress.

Not sure if they're arrogant or not, but they should be focused on continuous improvement. The API idea is great, spinning off their own other products is awesome, but the core product should continue to improve and the buggy functionality described here has been around for years - way overdue for a fix. 

I find it concerning that an evangelist responds as he did above without a note saying that the concerns would be brought to the attention of Evernote brass. Do our comments actually go anywhere...?

• Level 5*

I find it concerning that an evangelist responds as he did above without a note saying that the concerns would be brought to the attention of Evernote brass. Do our comments actually go anywhere...?

Hi. Evernote staff read all of the posts on the forums (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31766-updated-evernote-staff-reads-the-posts/?p=171356). Evangelists are just users like yourself who volunteer time here to help out and moderate.
  • Level 5*

I find it concerning that an evangelist responds as he did above without a note saying that the concerns would be brought to the attention of Evernote brass.

/he/she/
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted on this topic maybe 2 years ago. EN gets advertised for all sorts of purposes. The Note pane of any note proper should behave properly. I have had the same issues with the bullets (cut/copy and paste) with bizarre results. Tabs do NOT align - I tried with mono-spaced fonts - no dice.

I pointed the EN support people to TreePad+ (something they can try for free) to get an idea of how their formatting might behave better. I believe that was taken as an insult. Here we are two years latter and trying to do anything in the Note window that behaves reasonably is only a dream. (BTW: it is horribly unfortunate that Treepad will die in the Windows world - I have used it for years; it now being condemned to "a note outliner" status)

Saying we can do a nicely formatted document (WP, PDF etc) and attach it is an EXCUSE. Goal of Evernote or not, the Note window should behave with reasonable formatting options.

Saying we can do a nicely formatted document (WP, PDF etc) and attach it is an EXCUSE. Goal of Evernote or not, the Note window should behave with reasonable formatting options.

It's not an EXCUSE, it's a way to do what you may want to do, since we do not have any insight or control over what Evenote will implement and/or when. You can continue to yammer about this (which probably has no big impact upon it's implementation - please refer to due dates) or use a workaround or use another product. Those are our options.

• Level 5*

I posted on this topic maybe 2 years ago. EN gets advertised for all sorts of purposes. The Note pane of any note proper should behave properly. I have had the same issues with the bullets (cut/copy and paste) with bizarre results. Tabs do NOT align - I tried with mono-spaced fonts - no dice.

I pointed the EN support people to TreePad+ (something they can try for free) to get an idea of how their formatting might behave better. I believe that was taken as an insult. Here we are two years latter and trying to do anything in the Note window that behaves reasonably is only a dream. (BTW: it is horribly unfortunate that Treepad will die in the Windows world - I have used it for years; it now being condemned to "a note outliner" status)

Hi. I couldn't find your previous Treepad post. DLU (Evernote employee) has already responded to this post, and I don't get the sense that he was insulted. Many times I've brought up other apps that do this or that better than Evernote, and though I think they probably get tired of hearing their app compared to others, they have never (in my experience) shown it :)

In the case of Treepad, I used it long ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit. As I recall, the developer was also very friendly and helpful (I think I emailed with an issue concerning Chinese / Japanese characters). Anyhow, I am guessing that it is relatively easy to get an app to work well in one environment (Windows), but a very difficult thing to get it to work well in every environment. Evernote has (wisely, I think) relied on HTML (the coding in web pages) to accomplish this, but one of the drawbacks with HTML (in my experience, at least) is that it can be difficult to position things just right on the page.

I'm sure they are working on it, and I am sure it will get a lot better over time, but I doubt it will ever be as good as a native app designed for only one platform. It might get close, but in the end, the single platform editor (notetaking app, word processor, or whatever you want to call it) doesn't have to work within the same constraints. It doesn't matter to them that the app will only work in Windows, and they can afford not to think about any other platform. 

I don't work for Evernote, and I am not an expert in programming. These are just my amateurish thoughts on what kind of expectations might be reasonable to have for the app. 

• Level 5*

Anyhow, I am guessing that it is relatively easy to get an app to work well in one environment (Windows), but a very difficult thing to get it to work well in every environment. Evernote has (wisely, I think) relied on HTML (the coding in web pages) to accomplish this, but one of the drawbacks with HTML (in my experience, at least) is that it can be difficult to position things just right on the page.

I'm sure they are working on it, and I am sure it will get a lot better over time, but I doubt it will ever be as good as a native app designed for only one platform. It might get close, but in the end, the single platform editor (notetaking app, word processor, or whatever you want to call it) doesn't have to work within the same constraints.

Hi GM.  We haven't sparred in a while, and I didn't want to you feel neglected.  :-)

I do have to take exception to some of your assertions.  There have been HTML editors that work quite well across platforms for many years.  And with HTML5 this is made even easier.  The issue is not so much exact positioning on the page, but having the EN Note Editor work in a reliable, consistent manner while providing even the most basic formatting (text style, lists (numbered and bullet), indents, simple tables).

You say you're "sure they are working on it", but I'm not sure I understand the reason for your confidence.  Since these basic issues have existed for years, the evidence would tend to point to the contrary.  :-)

IMO, Evernote is more interested in flashy new stuff that can attract a lot of media attention, and therefore gather new users than they are in making the product more reliable and solid.

Evernote is not just a note-taking app, but I think most people would agree that reliable, consistent creation and editing of Notes is one of the basic core features that is expected.  This especially hold true for the Win and Mac clients.

• Level 5*

Anyhow, I am guessing that it is relatively easy to get an app to work well in one environment (Windows), but a very difficult thing to get it to work well in every environment. Evernote has (wisely, I think) relied on HTML (the coding in web pages) to accomplish this, but one of the drawbacks with HTML (in my experience, at least) is that it can be difficult to position things just right on the page.

I'm sure they are working on it, and I am sure it will get a lot better over time, but I doubt it will ever be as good as a native app designed for only one platform. It might get close, but in the end, the single platform editor (notetaking app, word processor, or whatever you want to call it) doesn't have to work within the same constraints.

Hi GM.  We haven't sparred in a while, and I didn't want to you feel neglected.  :-)

I do have to take exception to some of your assertions.  There have been HTML editors that work quite well across platforms for many years.  And with HTML5 this is made even easier.  The issue is not so much exact positioning on the page, but having the EN Note Editor work in a reliable, consistent manner while providing even the most basic formatting (text style, lists (numbered and bullet), indents, simple tables).

You say you're "sure they are working on it", but I'm not sure I understand the reason for your confidence.  Since these basic issues have existed for years, the evidence would tend to point to the contrary.  :-)

IMO, Evernote is more interested in flashy new stuff that can attract a lot of media attention, and therefore gather new users than they are in making the product more reliable and solid.

Evernote is not just a note-taking app, but I think most people would agree that reliable, consistent creation and editing of Notes is one of the basic core features that is expected.  This especially hold true for the Win and Mac clients.

Long time no see JM. I don't know if this topic is terribly good for sparring, though. Evernote doesn't use HTML 5, and doing so would probably be a massive undertaking that would have to occur across every client, and I am guessing it would involve changes to the API. I don't know of anything in HTML 5 that would make this positioning occur any easier, but perhaps I just lack the expertise. If I were handcoding an HTML page, I'd have no problem making bullet lists look correct, or making sure that fonts stay where they belong, but it is not an elegant process. The "tab" key doesn't exist in HTML (as far as I know), so you've got to use non-breaking spaces, or some other workaround, and things get messy.

Maybe it is actually an easy fix, and the Evernote developers are just waiting for the right moment in 2017 to implement it. Do you really think, that is the case, though? I bet the developers want the app to be as good as it can be, and I really doubt they abandon everything just to work on new features.

Why am I sure they are working on it? Because the editor keeps improving. Haven't you been keeping your clients updated? Oh yeah. You have banished yourself to the past using an ancient version of the Mac app, right :)

I don't know about "flashy new stuff." Maybe. I guess. I think you and I have similar utilitarian perspectives. I just want to take notes, and I don't have a whole lot of interest in icons, gray on gray color schemes, fancy Twitter sharing, etc.). However, most people in the world do care, and so I think we have to make allowances for that. Reminders just came out for Android, and while it is a really nice feature, it isn't something that I need right now in my life. Obviously, though, a lot of people do want it, and the more popular Evernote gets, the more resources they'll have to improve everything, so I say: keep being flashy Evernote devs!

Sure, I want reliable and consistent for everything. I bet the developers do too. What do you see as unreliable and inconsistent? I can think of a few things, but on the whole, we know the kind of behaviors that will trip-up the editor (mixing numbers and bullets in a list and then going back to add stuff into it), and so we avoid it. That is reliable (it always works) and consistent (I can reproduce the problems). I think it just doesn't do everything exactly as you would like. Unfortunately, no app does everything just as I would like it to (I have tried building my own apps, but even they don't behave properly), so you have to weigh the pros and cons, and have reasonable expectations for improvements given the parameters (an app that has to work with every major operating system).

I find your response very strange - are you sure your not paid by Evernote?

we know the kind of behaviors that will trip-up the editor (mixing numbers and bullets in a list and then going back to add stuff into it), and so we avoid it.

you agree that there some very basic bugs with the editor. They trip people up even when they have figured out what most of them are. It just seems unprofessional not to fix basic bugs like these which will affect every user. I really like the design of the editor, but what is the point of a good design if you don't take the trouble to eliminate bugs from the implementation.

• Level 5*

I find your response very strange - are you sure your not paid by Evernote?

we know the kind of behaviors that will trip-up the editor (mixing numbers and bullets in a list and then going back to add stuff into it), and so we avoid it.

you agree that there some very basic bugs with the editor. They trip people up even when they have figured out what most of them are. It just seems unprofessional not to fix basic bugs like these which will affect every user. I really like the design of the editor, but what is the point of a good design if you don't take the trouble to eliminate bugs from the implementation.

No salary from Evernote, I am afraid. I'm just a user like you.

For the reasons mentioned earlier, I think the editor is limited in some regards (lists are some of the most obvious problems, but tab can be another issue for some of us), and these conditions seem unlikely to change. I wouldn't call them bugs, but rather known limitations. Are they known by everyone? Unfortunately, not.

If you look around on the forums, you'll see that I have been calling for better documentation now for years. This is something that I strongly believe Evernote has to do better, and undocumented things (whether we call them features or bugs) really make me grumpy.

For example, the behavior of default fonts, tabs, and titles in the first line should be spelled out for each client. It boggles my mind that it is not, and I actually began work on an e-book that would be both a guide to effective usage and a manual, but (as you can imagine) life intervened, and I've got to finish a different book first!

You are being too kind.  The editor has limitations, yes, but the problems with lists and inconsistent format changes are not limitations, they are bugs, plain and simple.  Microsoft used to call bugs 'undocumented features' ... and then eventually fixed'em.  As much as I'd like to give Evernote five stars, the behavioral issues with the editor are a quality issue that will prevent me from giving Evernote an unqualified rave.  Documenting them - instead of just fixing them -- would just add insult to injury....  Evernote needs to clean up the editor so that it has the same polish as the rest of the application.

• 1 month later...

The editor on the Mac desktop is also very bad. I understand EN does not plan to reproduce a full word processor experience, but simple bullets/number and image resizing seem to me like like very basic features for a note taking/organizing software. How come they are so crappy in a version 5?

The web editor does not seem to have those problems though, both bullet and image resizing are much better there. It doesn't work offline though and we lose the desktop shortcuts so it's only a partial solution. 

I disagree with the statements above saying that the focus of EN should not be note taking because other apps can be used for that: I want to be able to edit my notes on all my devices (Mac at home, Windows at work, Android on the metro, web-based at a friend's computer...). The built-in EN document editor is the only that is ubiquitous enough for that. 

I also want note opening to be fast: relying on MS Word or OpenOffice makes the whole interaction much slower. 

• 1 year later...

Although I understand the argument which describes Evernote as an aggregation tool for research more than composition, there is a great deal of value in the ability to accomplish both (to varying degrees) within a single toolset environment. Perhaps what is being misunderstood by that argument as a justification for Evernote's poor editing capabilities is that the process of research also includes inputing random thoughts of one's own; and this process sometimes requires a level of text editing beyond mere basic.

Editor capabilities required to accomplish rudimentary formatting functions such as an ability to handle tab stops are not difficult features to add, particularly when they exist in almost every other text editor out there. What can be accomplished with the Evernote IDE is the equivalent of what is available within this online posting system. It is clear that Evernote was designed as an connecting tool for multiple devices to facilitate aggregation. That was why I was drawn to Evernote in the first place, but as I am increasingly relying on it to facilitate a broader range of my tasks, I am also increasing my expectations of what it can do for me. I do realize I am but an individual in a sea of corporate licenses more focused on managing people and data, but I am quite certain that most people prefer latitude, flexibility and facility when working with the information they gather.

In this case, Evernote is missing the boat on capturing an audience of researchers not already accustomed to juggling multiple toolsets to manage their volume of production.

My two cents worth...

I am in full agreement that the text editor needs a whole lot of TLC. It especially sucks on the mobile clients.

But I've read enough of the posts about this issue by moderators and evangelists - none of whom are paid in way, shape or form - to realize they aren't justifying the editor's inadequacies, so much as they have simply accepted the fact that we aren't likely to see one that measures up to other RTF editors *and* is consistent across all platforms. I've seen several posts where they too have chimed in to express their own gripes about it.

On the other hand, they are also long-time power users who have long since learned to deal with workarounds that don't impede their workflows too badly. In their roles as volunteer guides for the rest of us, about all they can do is explain Evernote's actions, or lack thereof, as best as they can and offer up alternatives until and unless they day ever comes when we get the text editor we dream of. At the end of the day, they have only slighty more contact directly with Evernote than we do, and pretty much zero "insiders information."

And trust me, this is my own personal biggest gripe with Evernote, so I'll keep pushing for it too! ☺

• 2 months later...

I've only started using the Windows editor recently (Win 8.1) and I can assure you, they've not been working on it. It's awful. IMO the whole Windows app is awful. It's possibly the hardest piece of software I've tried to use in ages. 

When you enter tags, a little pop-up shows ones that match, but unless you click on the right one VERY PRECISELY it creates a new, unwanted tag from the partial text that was typed. 

The cursor jumps around or disappears in the text box. Selecting text is hard. 

I kept thinking it's me, I'm just not using it correctly, or I'm trying to copy text from a badly formatted website (which is definitely true). But even 'paste as text' doesn't seem to resolve it.  

To be honest, maybe I'm stupid but I also can't get to grips with the web clipper thing at all ... it takes ages to pop up and then I get no feedback from it, (has it clipped? who knows?) and I can't find my notes in Evernote

I'm really disappointed. I thought Evernote would be a great way to capture stuff but I'm so frustrated by the whole newbie experience, I'm tempted to try OneNote. I'm not a big fan of Microsoft Word, but at least it works as an editor. 

Edited to add: I'm not trying to do anything fancy in it -- just copy bits from an online course I'm doing & annotate it. 

• 5 months later...

So it's been a few years of asking, begging, complaining and and still text editing is still "an adventure". Example, I can't delete a center justified line without it quitting and even then it won't delete without deleting one of my bullets on the next line.

I think it's time to realize that adding chart or some other *****/clutterware is more important to the team at EverNOTE than a reliable and predictable text editor. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the editor in Evenote (at least in the Windows client and classic web interace) is subpar -- and it's sad to see that this thread has been going on for well over two years now.

The editor, as I understand it, is based on TinyMCE -- so here's a not-too-clumsy way to get more features (like adding section headings, choosing font colors, and so on, plus the ability to switch to a source-code view to see what's really in your note, and fix it):

Use the sample TinyMCE editors online.  There's one here that uses a simple pulldown-menu interface, and one here that uses a toolbar-button interface.  After playing with them a bit, I think I like the second one better.

To create a new note, select the entire sample contents in the online TinyMCE editor (Ctrl-A under Windows), delete it (DEL), and then write your note adding rich text, headings, and multimedia as you wish; when done, select the whole thing again (Ctrl-A), copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C), and paste it into a new note in Evernote (Ctrl-V).

To edit / spruce up (with headers, etc.) an existing Evernote note, select the whole note (Ctrl-A under Windows), go to one of the two editors above, remove any sample content that's in the editing window (Ctrl-A, DEL), paste in your note (Ctrl-V), and edit/enhance to your heart's content.  When done, select it all (Ctrl-A), copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C), and paste it into the Evernote client (either Windows or Web; I presume, Mac would work, too) with Ctrl-V.

I wouldn't work on sensitive material at the TinyMCE site, but if you've got an exiting note that's either way too plain or badly messed up, or want to create a fancier note than Evernote will let you using its own weak editor, using the online TinyMCE editor seems to work well.

If anyone knows how to get the TinyMCE editor to run standalone on a Windows machine (rather than online or in a browser), I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Rob (in Toronto)

So it's been a few years of asking, begging, complaining and and still text editing is still "an adventure". Example, I can't delete a center justified line without it quitting and even then it won't delete without deleting one of my bullets on the next line.

I think it's time to realize that adding chart or some other *****/clutterware is more important to the team at EverNOTE than a reliable and predictable text editor. 

I have to agree whole heartedly.  This thread started back in 2013 and the problems go back even further.  In the interim, EN management received an "open letter" from an outraged customer and posted a sincere appology with a promise to turn things around.  (By things I mean the absolutely horrid state of software development.)  And here we are today.

Forget all the other problems (and some are very serious) THIS ONE is a core function.  Yes, people want enhanacements to the editor, but I'd settle for it WORKING.

Examples:

1) Bullets are arbitrary.  Mostly I can simply tab as I'm doing a bullet list but sometimes, out of the blue, I get no deeper level.  Worse, sometimes It simply reverts to unbulleted text in the middlel of a bullet list.  Sometimes it just flattens the whole note.  Now that does not seem as if it would be a hard fix.  Just get a long standing function to work properly.

2) Note synchronization (another core function) is also arbitrary.  I can have a note on the WEB app and it will not synch to Windows.  Each time I open a support ticket the answer is to reinstall EN and rebuild the database.  O.K. that IS a solution, but it takes time out of my day to do it.  It is upwards of an hour of computer time while the thing churns.

3) In some cases, a note becomes "corrupted".  I don't know the cause but it winds up not being editable in any reliable sense.  In those cases what is necessary is to copy it then paste it into a Windows text editor, assure that it is in basic text format with all special formatting removed, then copy/paste it back to a completely NEW note and edit it all over again.  This means manually putting back any formatting I want (like bullet lists or check boxes or even bold and underscore),  Who knows what goes on here.

Why is this such a damn hard thing to get working?  I don't use Skitch ... it is a nice idea and all, but it is a hot mess and I'd just rather not fool with it.  If EN can't get things like the basic editor and synchrozition working, why would I hold my breath for stuff like Skitch.

I do love Clearly and use it quite a bit, but it is also hit or miss.  I can't begin to pretict what it will keep and what it will discard so most often I just do CTL-A and paste into a new note then manually remove the *****..  Sad that I have to do that when EN has a product to do EXACTLY what I want, but does not see fit to get it working.

I'm a BIG fan of EN.  I think that there are lots of good ideas coming out of the development team.  I think that some of the features that utilize Moleskine look good ... but really, if I continually have to waste time fighting BUGS, then I am going to stick with the most basic of features.

For now, I open notes in a Windows editor (I mostly use Notepad++) and copy/paste to EN.  Sad that I have to do that, but what is my choice when EN can't get its act together.

I continually shake my head at the EN people.  Such a good idea and such absolutley unreliable in implementation.  Any project management class would tell them to HALT all further feature development and FIX WHAT IS BROKEN.  Once that is done, it would be a good time to publish a list of proposed new features and ask the user base to rank what they think is important to them.  EXAMPLE:  I really HATE the new WEB interface.  It came to the sounds of trumpets about how clean it looks.  Yeah, but it does not look the SAME as the WIndows interface and switching is confusing.  And who asked for it anyway?  It is one of those solutions looking for a problem.  Leave the interface the hell alone and fix PROBLEMS!

Well, that vents my frustration for now.  I got here trying to see if my messed up formatting was my fault ... I see that it is not and that EN seems unwilling to address the problem.  And so it goes, as it always has.

I've only started using the Windows editor recently (Win 8.1) and I can assure you, they've not been working on it. It's awful. IMO the whole Windows app is awful. It's possibly the hardest piece of software I've tried to use in ages. 

This is a follow-up to my earlier post. I agree entirely with Antonio-a's comment above because that's what I was trying to do -- clip things and annotate them.  

I found the editor so frustrating that I gave up.  I abandoned Evernote and now use Microsoft OneNote. It has its own quirks, but the editor is intuitive and easy to use. It syncs across all my devices. When I clip something, it's obviously clipped straight away, I don't have to hunt for it.   My guess is that Evernote is designed for Apple devices and Windows implementations are an afterthought. 

• Level 5*

@catty_typo:  

To set the record straight, the original versions of Evernote were for Windows only.  Mac came later.

Since the introduction of EN Mac, the platform with the latest features has bounced back and forth.  I use both and have not seen a strong preference by Evernote for either platform.  There are some features in both platforms that are not in the other.

If you want really good, solid screenshots, video capture, and annotations, try SnagIT.  Works great in both Win and Mac.  I have used it for years.

"Evernote for Windows 5.8.5.7051 Beta Release Notes" (the latest pre-release available to the public) says, under "Improved," "Many improvements to the note editor."  

"Fixed" is enumerated separately in release notes; there are no fixes to the editor listed for this release.  Does anyone know what even one of the "many" improvements to the note editor is?  I'm not seeing any new functionality or improved implementation.

Archived