(Archived) Take handwritten notes directly in Evernote

Buki

Hi,

I've seen that this has been already requested several times, but it seems that there is still an answer missing from the Evernote team.

When will it be possible to create hand-written notes directly in Evernote? I'm a bit bothered to manually sync my notes from Noteshelf or Penultimate manually into Evernote. It would be a huge benefit if we could eventually created, edit, annotate hand-written notes in Evernote.

So please integrate this. Or at least tell me your plan regarding handwritten notes!

Many thanks,

Andreas

• Level 5*

Hi,

I've seen that this has been already requested several times, but it seems that there is still an answer missing from the Evernote team.

When will it be possible to create hand-written notes directly in Evernote? I'm a bit bothered to manually sync my notes from Noteshelf or Penultimate manually into Evernote. It would be a huge benefit if we could eventually created, edit, annotate hand-written notes in Evernote.

So please integrate this. Or at least tell me your plan regarding handwritten notes!

Many thanks,

Andreas

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I am sorry, but Evernote does not comment on their roadmap, so you are unlikely to receive a direct answer to your question about whether such a feature is coming or when it might happen. It is a great suggestion, though, and I am sure the developers appreciate the input.

Hi,

Many thanks,

Andreas

As GM pointed out, EN does not publish their roadmap. However, it's doubtful ink notes will be integrated into iOS b/c the Windows client is the only one with ink notes and b/c of EN's acquisition of Skitch.

PLEEEAASSEE ADD THIS FEATURE!!! This has been my biggest gripe with Evernote since the iPad apps came out. It's also the reason behind my constant love/hate relationship with Evernote. How does something as simple and crucial as adding handwriting or drawing into note get overlooked? You would think that after acquiring all that talent from Skitch and Penultimate, they would have figured out a way by now. Why would I only want to be able to type when I have a tablet? I could do that much better with a laptop. The whole point is to have mixed media. I want to be able to type AND draw in my notes WITHOUT having to switch or sync through multiple apps. Instead, they're wasting their time with moleskin notebooks that require you to take pictures of your handwritten pages with sticker tags...

Take a cue from Notability, arguably the most feature complete iPad note taking app. The only reason I still use Evernote is the 2-way syncing, and they still can't manage to get that right on Penultimate. This is the sole reason I refuse to pay for the premium version. I really hope they add this critical feature on the iPad (which one of the posters mentioned is already on the windows version).

Ok.. End rant...

Exactly!! They even have handwriting/ink input for Android. There is absolutely no technical reason why they can't get that in iOS.

I'm sure it's doable - no one said it's not possible. But it may simply be a choice or low/no priority.

Let's hope so! I just don't know why it's not a high priority, particularly for a tablet!

Probably b/c there are other, more important things in the pipeline. Users tend to see their one or two "must have" features as high priorit b/c that's what's important TO THEM. But when one is exposed to the behind the scenes, one may realize in the grand scheme of things that these particular features are lower priority than other things. It's really easy to do the back seat driving. AND...like I said before, with their acquisition of Skitch, EN is less prone to add ink note capability. Please see post #3 above.

• 7 months later...

Suggestion (ok, I know it's low tech and not built in etc etc, but it is very easy and more controllable than clumsily drawing on the ipad screen, whatever the app)... draw your handwritten note on paper, photograph into the note at the desired point, discard the paper.

I am able to take handwritten notes into Evernote using my Galaxy Note. Not iOS though, sorry.

How do you do this please????

I can do it on my galaxy note by creating a Skitch note - but it only records what I write if I use the stylus.  I would like to be able to write using my finger, I don't understand why Skitch is so limited.

More generally, I have been struggling to find a quick and easy way to create Evernote notes on my phone without using the keyboard or the stylus.  Most of the workarounds involve using simple paint type apps and sharing into Evernote.

Sorry for being off topic, this was an IOS thread, just had to vent my frustration...

• 4 weeks later...

like I said before, with their acquisition of Skitch, EN is less prone to add ink note capability. 

Why? As far as I can tell, the raison d'être of Skitch is for annotating images not for creating handwritten notes from scratch. 

like I said before, with their acquisition of Skitch, EN is less prone to add ink note capability. 

Why? As far as I can tell, the raison d'être of Skitch is for annotating images not for creating handwritten notes from scratch. 

That's rather like saying you shouldn't use images or tables in Word b/c Word is a word processor.  You can annotate images with Skitch as well as take ink notes. 

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23326-we-need-handwriting-in-evernote-for-iphone/

But after the post by Heather (in the thread I linked to above), EN acquired Penultimate that you can also use for ink notes.

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/05/07/evernote-acquires-penultimate/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived