Change Default PDF Viewer

Grizzy44

Idea

So I selected Adobe Reader as my default pdf viewer, but I would now like to change to another app. Any insight is appreciated. Also, after a default has been chosen (for any purpose) is it not possible to open with another app as desired?

Thank you!

7 replies to this idea

@Grizzy44,

Both options are Android oriented, not Evernote.

To open occasionally from another app, I believe you will have to launch the reader app, then navigate to the pdf from with-in it.

To change default programs:

~ access the "Settings" option

~ choose "Apps"

~ choose the default program, Adobe Reader in this instance

~ choose "Clear defaults"

Next time you tap on a file to open it, Android for a one time or default app before it opens it.

Regards,

Gary

Gary, that doesn't work for me with KitKat 4.4 on a Nexus 4.  Evernote does not ask which PDF viewer to use, even when I have more than one installed.  What happens for me is that when I attach pdfs created by using the scanner at my work to an note, and try to open it in Android, I get the message "Unfortunately Evernote has stopped working."  Or, sometimes it just crashes with no messages.  If I put the very same document on google drive, I can open it on my phone just fine.  I can also open the attachment on Evernote for windows 7.

Jim

As far as I know:

- Tap on the PDF to open it in the internal PDF viewer/annotator

- Tap on the three dots next to the PDF file name and a pop-up asks you to Edit or View the PDF. This will open whatever Android thinks is needed for that

Rob

I think this must be an evernote for android specific bug. I have it too. I have a weird PDF that Skitch can't open, but Adobe can. But because I have Skitch set as the default editor for PDFs within evernote, it doesn't allow me the option to open it with adobe instead. 

I checked the general android settings for Skitch and it doesn't list any default settings - so I can't clear it there. I can also not clear it in evernote, as far as I can tell. 

I think this must be an evernote for android specific bug. I have it too. I have a weird PDF that Skitch can't open, but Adobe can. But because I have Skitch set as the default editor for PDFs within evernote, it doesn't allow me the option to open it with adobe instead. 

I checked the general android settings for Skitch and it doesn't list any default settings - so I can't clear it there. I can also not clear it in evernote, as far as I can tell. 

GaryLKing's suggestion above should work for you. Under the Android Application Manager it doesn't show you that you've hooked Skitch up with Android, but if you clear defaults and go back to Evernote, you should get a choice. 

GaryLKing's suggestion above should work for you. Under the Android Application Manager it doesn't show you that you've hooked Skitch up with Android, but if you clear defaults and go back to Evernote, you should get a choice. 

Yep...It works. I just tested it. 

My issues is slightly different. I have Adobe pdf reader and Google pdf reader installed on my phone. When I tap on a pdf file in evernote on Android 7.0, I get two options: (1) OneDrive pdf viewer (which simply doesn't work), or (2) MS Word. 

If I click on the three dots, I get all options , including both the Adobe and Google pdf reader. Why aren't all available options available when I tap on the file itself? Why do I have to go through another step?

Archived